Whispering Canyon Review: 7/16/06

Tam1067

LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly
We had dinner at the Whispering Canyon Café on July 16. We saved this place until the end of our trip because we’d eaten there twice on our last WDW trip in 2003 (we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge that time) and loved both the antics and the food.

This time, I was overall disappointed. The food, while decent, was not at all memorable or even as good as Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey’s.

For an appetizer, I ordered the salad and received a plate of mostly iceberg with a basic vinaigrette dressing. We were on the DDP, but if I’d paid the menu price, I would have been quite steamed at spending over $7.00 (yes, that’s right) on a mediocre salad.

The kids had grilled cheese and chicken fingers, all standard Disney fare and what one would expect. DH ordered meatloaf which he liked and couldn’t finish. I ordered grouper and did not enjoy it much. It was okay, certainly, but just not nearly as good as the meals we’d had earlier in the week at Kona Café, Mama Melrose and ‘Ohana. The fish was bland and overcooked. On the contrary, on our previous trip, I had ordered a special (not on the regular menu at WCC) which was also grouper but just so delicious and much different than this one.

Desserts were a disappointment as well (maybe we’d been spoiled by Kona!). I ordered chocolate cake which was very standard cake. DH had an apple pie with ice cream which was again decent but not special. The kids had worms in dirt which they liked.

There has been much written about the atmosphere here as well. Because we’d visited in the past, I was hoping for a good time but also aware of what I'd read on these boards about those antics being toned down. I definitely noticed a change since the last time.

Our server was certainly pleasant enough, but the extent of the antics we witnessed included our server halfheartedly tossing our straws on the table, kids calling for ketchup, and a teenage girl at another table being told to sing “Happy Birthday” to her brother. There were pony races, but the kids’ activities were almost non-existent compared to those at ‘Ohana.

On the contrary, when we visited on our previous trip, the servers almost seemed to be competing with each other about how to engage the guests. Even the food was better before. Unless we were staying at WL, I would not make a special trip over to the Whispering Canyon, which is really sad because it was one of our favorites before.

I am sorry that you didn't have a better time. What a disappointment. We have an ADR there in Oct and now I am rethinking it. But I suppose that since we have never been before, we would not know what we are missing. I might have to try the meatloaf it I go there. I certainly won't order the salad. The skillet meal does not appeal to us. Did you get the bottomless shakes? :sad2:

We were there on the 16th as well for DD's 6th b-day at around 7 pm...We got the skillet and LOVED it!!! We will definately be going back to this one!!!

Sorry you had a dissapointing meal!!

We went here on our first WDW trip. I was also so disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading so many of the wonderful reviews, but we did not enjoy this at all. The WL was lovely. We are glad we went for this reason, but for the WCC we would never return. Our waitress did not engage in any antics at all, even though we tried and tried to get her to. The food was not great either.

I completely agree! We went for the first time this June. We had a great time, and our boys loved the fun, but the food wasn't anything special.

Thanks for sharing your review. Sorry your meal turned out disappointing. :guilty:

OHHH NOOO! This is OUR PLACE!!!! We loved it last year in Sept. for my birthday I had to ride the stick horse and sing LOUDLY happy birthday to MYSELF (I am a slightly pooh-sized gal myself with bladder issues Hahahaha!) But, I NEED to go back this year in Sept. BUT not for my birthday, just because. I'm just curious how it's Toned Down ....
I have REALLY LOVED this dining report...as I eat common every day cheetos and diet Pepsi whilst I see THOSE PICTURES....Cant wait to eat like THAT again...something about feeling like I've eaten thanksgiving dinner twice a day for "free" that gets me right here :lovestruc

Thank You!!!!
UtahMama your dining report groupie!

I have ADR for September, and mainly 'cause DH wants to tour the WL (me too btw :teeth: ), but I'm not sure if I should cancel and just dine in the Roaring Fork and use my TS for another restaurant... I know as a family we will not be involved in the sillyness of the place, just watching (we're kind of shy :blush: ).
So, whaddaya think? Should I go for the food? or stick to the Roaring Fork and use my TS on another place?? (I have the DDP btw).

Thanks all!

Please don't panic or anything because lots of people like this place. I think the food is now just mediocre--not great at all. If I were staying at the WL, then I'd probably eat there again just mostly due to convenience. I would not make a special trip there, though, just to eat at WCC (which is what we did this time). Now if you're there anyway and touring the beautiful WL, you will probably have a nice time, and the food was certainly edible just not great.

I was also really disappointed in the lack of silliness from the servers. Yes, they called for ketchup and had the pony races, but on our 2003 visit, our server teased everyone and was really quite humorous. Other servers were the same. This time we didn't even witness other tables being teased in that way, so I can't say it's due to a lack of a participating server.

I think people who haven't been there before find it just fine now, but we went in with higher expectations than were met because of our past experiences. Last night we were talking about the restaurants the kids want to return to on our next trip, and no one said WCC. They liked Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, 'Ohana, Kona, and Mama Melrose enough that they want to return there, but not a single person in the family said a word about returning to WCC. Yet at the time, no one complained about the awful place either.

Have a great trip.

Tam1067 said:
I think people who haven't been there before find it just fine now, but we went in with higher expectations than were met because of our past experiences. Last night we were talking about the restaurants the kids want to return to on our next trip, and no one said WCC. They liked Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, 'Ohana, Kona, and Mama Melrose enough that they want to return there, but not a single person in the family said a word about returning to WCC. Yet at the time, no one complained about the awful place either.

Have a great trip.

Thanks! Well.. that does it. I think I'll just go to Roaring Fork and use the TS for another restaurant. MM perhaps... :cool1:

That really stinks that your meal was bad. When I ate their, I thought the meal was great.

Thanks for the review. We have an ADR there for our December trip, it would be our first visit there. I am hesitant reading a lot of mediocre reviews lately. I would really like the antics and atmosphere but it sounds like that is hit or miss lately. Hmmm, what to do??? We have an ADR at Ohanas already. I do hear lots of good stuff about Kona, maybe we should switch? I don't know. Why do dinner ressies have to be so complicated?!

Allyson

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter