Which two dinners would you choose?

ajgardner

DIS Veteran
My family is doing a long weekend stay at Disney before our cruise. We consist of two adult parents, a 21 year old and a 16 year old. I have to choose two dinners and have four I can’t choose between. (Note: we visit Disney once or twice a year and have been to all of them except Artist Point at some point)

- California Grill (8:30 with 9:20 firework; the $90 pp seems excessive- I am ok with the price if it’s worth it just not sure if we could go to one of the other places and enjoy it equally with a lesser price. When we went to Cali last time we were on a dining plan so didn’t notice the price)
- O’Hana (This was once one of our favorites but it may be more nostalgia and good memories from our first trip when the kids were young and hitting coconuts with a broom)
- Storybook Dining Artist Point (the characters factor is not a big deal to us. Food, theme/atmosphere and service are our priorities)
- Hoop Dee Doo (I know this isn’t “fancy” like a couple of the others, but I remember really enjoying the chicken and strawberry shortcake when we went years ago. Plus it’s just silly fun.)

Overall, looking for yummy food and an enjoyable experience with my family. Which two would you pick?

Last edited:
Hoop and Ohana for the fun.

I'm extremely anti-California Grill. The food has always been excellent, but my lovely fellow guests always ruin the atmosphere with sloppy attire and poor behavior.

My DH and kids (all 20somethings) would prob pick Ohana and Hoop Dee Doo. But both are AYCE family style and a little too similar to me so I would choose Ohana and CG. Storybook would be our last due to the characters and set price prix fixe menu. Artist Point USED to be my fave place until they kidded it up.

Hoop and Ohana for the fun.

I'm extremely anti-California Grill. The food has always been excellent, but my lovely fellow guests always ruin the atmosphere with sloppy attire and poor behavior.
Behavior I get but why does it matter how someone dresses to enjoy a meal?

Hoop I like the food but not a huge fan of the show. If I was forced to choose a 2nd probably Ohana.

Definitely Cali Grill. The others would be a coin-flip for us. At one time, 'Ohana would've been an easy choice, but last couple experiences were not worth the money. We'd probably give HDDR a try again after reopening again.

Cali Grill and AP (since you haven't been there yet). But Hoop a close third. I'd skip 'Ohana - have been reading poor reviews for months....

I’m thinking Hoop Dee Doo will be one choice, and since it’s family style and similar to Ohana we will eliminate Ohana. So now it’s between Storybook or Cali Grill - I want to go to both - I wish we had one more night!

Behavior I get but why does it matter how someone dresses to enjoy a meal?

Hoop I like the food but not a huge fan of the show. If I was forced to choose a 2nd probably Ohana.
I’m with you about Hoop. I was trying to get an opinion from my 16 year old son and he said “Is that the one that had the really good chicken but a really weird show?” (He was 8 when we went last) I was like, “Yup, that’s the one!” I still didn’t get an answer from him though.😂

California Grill and HDDR! :cool1:

Both great in their own ways and both really are a full experience - fireworks and special 50th dinner experience for one and all you can eat with a fun show for the other.

I've done Ohana and nothing special there, and have done the Storybook, loved it but my son was there for the characters. I think with your kids ages the other two would be special.

I see how much shorts and a hat instead of khakis really take away from my dining experience.
How would you feel about stains on your tablecloth? Burnt out lightbulbs? Dated décor? Trashy guests are at least as destructive to dining atmosphere IMO.

We all have
How would you feel about stains on your tablecloth? Burnt out lightbulbs? Dated décor? Trashy guests are at least as destructive to dining atmosphere IMO.
I see how much shorts and a hat instead of khakis really take away from my dining experience.
We all have our own personal opinion on what matters or doesn’t matter to us and make our own decisions accordingly. Nobody’s beliefs on the matter are right or wrong. As the OP, I can say that other people’s attire would have no bearing on my decision (mostly because my family would likely be considered “trashy guests” in our park clothes, albeit nice park clothes that meet the dress code requirements). Other than a teenage couple dressed up for prom, I have zero recollection of what other guests were wearing on either of my last visits. So with that said, this doesn’t need to be part of the decision making for me.

So back to topic… Cali Grill or Storybook Dining (or do those two and drop Hoop)? It sounds like Cali Grill is the more popular choice?

mostly because my family would likely be considered “trashy guests” in our park clothes, albeit nice park clothes that meet the dress code requirements.
Just to be clear, I'm not describing "park clothes that meet the dress code requirements" as trashy. I'm talking about boobs and basketball shorts.

I'm perfectly happy for people to do the bare minimum to comply with the dress code. I object to people who ignore the dress code entirely, and to Disney for not enforcing it.

You might still not care, and that's fine. I just want to make sure you understand what I'm describing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter