Which to carry for DLR?

jec6613

DIS Veteran
It's been a number of years since I've been to DLR, and am setting up a trip for this fall. While for WDW it would be easy because I can more comfortably handle a somewhat larger bag, and there's usually almost a stop more available light, it's been a while for DLR, and, if memory serves, Disneyland proper doesn't have the nice Kodak-defined 35-70mm sightlines. Adults-only trip to boot. (and no, I'm not purchasing mirrorless yet... I'm much too heavy of a user of settings banks and advanced features that just haven't come over yet, and the lenses aren't all there).

The camera bodies in question:
  1. Nikon Df
  2. Nikon D850
  3. Nikon D500
As for lenses, I have pretty much everything except f/2.8 wide angle zooms, and "super zooms" (I do have the 24-120, 16-85, and 16-80 though). So all of the variable aperture kit lenses, constant aperture zooms, plus about 20 primes, about half of which are MF.

Keeping in mind that I'm talking a full kit, so body+lenses+other, what are the most appropriate focal lengths, and what would be the max recommended bag size? Also, should I pack a small (SB-300 or SB-400) flash, since these don't have a built-in one, or should I rely on post-processing to lift shadows?

How paranoid are you? I'm bunches. I always take two bodies at least. I'd go with the 850 as primary and have the 500 in my room just in case.

Considering this is in the parks, my rule of thumb is to always go as wide as possible. Partially for the increase FOV to provide better context for shots and partially for the decreased working distance (lotta tight spaces). To me, anything beyond 100mm or so doesn't work well in the parks except for some very few instances.

YMMV

Because it's an adult trip, less paranoid than usual - because, yes, I'd ordinary carry two bodies as well. Though I'd rent a second D850 or D500 and just keep both with me with different lenses. I am going to have a Coolpix A though, which provides both backup and a camera that anybody I hand it to somebody else so that I'm in some pictures. The Df was the initially most appealing one to me, because it's wickedly good in low light and significantly more compact.

How wide do you think is, "Wide"? 24mm is reasonably wide angle, and then a 24-120 or 16-80 will cover the entire range you're talking about, with a fast prime or two for lower light. Both my 12-24 and 16-35 are fairly large zooms, but I do have a 20mm f/3.5 MF prime.

My favorite for any travel is ultrawide. 24mm is not wide enough. For my upcoming WDW vacation, I'll bring my 12-24 on full frame. THough I may rely on a new 20/1.8 I got.

I'd go with the D850: Full frame just offers so many advantages compared to the D500. Truer wider angles, better low light performance in the dark rides, better resolution for landscapes.

I'm currently going through the same internal debate between Sony A9 (super speed and AF), compared to the A7r3 (high resolution and dynamic range, but focus system not quite as good).
I'm leaning to the A9 -- for better candids and dark rides. But I do usually use the A7r3 for travel. Of course, my last Disney trip 5 years ago was with the Nikon D750 -- 24mp. So I know 24mp is enough.

My lens kit will likely be:
12-24/4
20/1.8
55/1.8
135/1.8
and 100-400, solely for Animal Kingdom.

Though five lenses is a bit much.

Reactions: KVH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter