Which room type for toddler?

ArielDreams

Mouseketeer
Hi fellow Dis parents! I am looking for advice on what room type to book with my toddler at Caribbean Beach. Here’s some backstory:
- We were supposed to go this past April. My son was 10 months so I booked a king room so we’d have plenty of space for the pack n play.
- We are re-booked for April 2021 but he will be almost 2 by then. Figuring we’d splurge, I booked us for a studio at Boulder Ridge which would give plenty of different options for sleeping if he outgrew the pack n play. However, given that a lot of what I’d want to do in the MK area is still closed/not happening, I’d rather just save money and recreate our canceled 2020 trip.

So, what room type would you pick at CBR for an almost 2 year old (who is also 99th percentile for height!)? King or 2 queens? What toddler sleeping arrangements have you found successful? Or should I just pray for a discount and keep Boulder Ridge? Lol

It is hard to say what will be open next April. I wouldn't base anything on what may be open at a park.

Look at it this way: How disappointed would you be if you switch to CBR and end up having much of what you want open at the Magic Kingdom? What would you resent more, the loss of location or the loss of the money?

We took our son at 18 months and also the week before his 3rd birthday. So, not exactly the same age as yours but here’s what we did.

At 18 months, we rented a crib from Kingdom Strollers. We were in a standard room at WL and it was fine.

The week before his 3rd birthday, we were in a standard room at the Poly and put him in the 2nd bed with rails (Disney provides them for free), and that also worked out fine.

My son hasn’t ever been super tall, but he is heavy. He was 30 lbs at 18 months and I didn’t feel comfortable putting him in a pack n play at that point. (He’s 5 now and only in the 66th% for weight instead of 98% like he used to be, haha).

We always preferred the king. After our son stopped sleeping in the pack n play, he shared a bed with us. Disney does provide bed rails upon request, but we would rather have the king bed for more floor space for the stroller and stuff. Even during our trip to Pop Century when he was 3.5, the 3 of us slept in a queen and we kept the other queen folded into the wall half the time.

Hi fellow Dis parents! I am looking for advice on what room type to book with my toddler at Caribbean Beach. Here’s some backstory:
- We were supposed to go this past April. My son was 10 months so I booked a king room so we’d have plenty of space for the pack n play.
- We are re-booked for April 2021 but he will be almost 2 by then. Figuring we’d splurge, I booked us for a studio at Boulder Ridge which would give plenty of different options for sleeping if he outgrew the pack n play. However, given that a lot of what I’d want to do in the MK area is still closed/not happening, I’d rather just save money and recreate our canceled 2020 trip.

So, what room type would you pick at CBR for an almost 2 year old (who is also 99th percentile for height!)? King or 2 queens? What toddler sleeping arrangements have you found successful? Or should I just pray for a discount and keep Boulder Ridge? Lol

I went with a 20 month old who was off the charts for height. We had a standard room at POFQ. We requested a pack n play for the room and shoved it in the sink area of the bathroom. My daughter could sleep almost anywhere as long as it was dark. I figured if she didn't do well in the pack and play, we could get guard rails for the extra bed.

I think the only reason we didn't do a king room is because we really wanted connecting rooms with my in-laws, and there were more standard rooms for that purpose.

When DS was younger we rented a crib & got a king bed. But the last couple trips, we got 2 queen beds & he sleeps with me & DH sleeps in the other bed. DS is 2.

I would vote for keeping Boulder Ridge. If you plan on any pool time, the new "dvc" pool has a zero entry. There is also a nice splash pad by the other pool. If you are planning to spend time at MK, it's nice to not have to fold down the stroller on the boat (as long as you get the "big" boat).

My son is 11 months and will soon outgrow the pack and play and mini crib provided by Disney. Plus he’s super tall and tries to climb out of the PNP now. For our next resort stay, I plan to get a room with a pull out couch if they provide rails.

We always preferred the king. After our son stopped sleeping in the pack n play, he shared a bed with us. Disney does provide bed rails upon request, but we would rather have the king bed for more floor space for the stroller and stuff. Even during our trip to Pop Century when he was 3.5, the 3 of us slept in a queen and we kept the other queen folded into the wall half the time.
When DS was younger we rented a crib & got a king bed. But the last couple trips, we got 2 queen beds & he sleeps with me & DH sleeps in the other bed. DS is 2.

Do these situations involve you actually getting any sleep? My son just turned 5 and he’s never slept in my bed. This past summer, our a/c broke. We got a window unit for the master bedroom and the basement was pretty cool. My husband went to sleep on a mattress on the floor in the basement and my son slept in our bed with me. I’m pretty sure he does karate in his sleep...it wasn’t a restful night for me at all. After that, until the a/c was fixed we put him in the basement (and he loved it)!!

My point is...putting a kid in bed with the parents isn’t the best option for all families. I definitely need sleep at Disney, no way is my kid going to be in bed with me all night!

Do these situations involve you actually getting any sleep? My son just turned 5 and he’s never slept in my bed. This past summer, our a/c broke. We got a window unit for the master bedroom and the basement was pretty cool. My husband went to sleep on a mattress on the floor in the basement and my son slept in our bed with me. I’m pretty sure he does karate in his sleep...it wasn’t a restful night for me at all. After that, until the a/c was fixed we put him in the basement (and he loved it)!!

My point is...putting a kid in bed with the parents isn’t the best option for all families. I definitely need sleep at Disney, no way is my kid going to be in bed with me all night!
For me yes. DS is a very still sleeper. We were actually just talking about that here at wdw. I get more sleep with DS than I do on an average night at home with DH snoring & 2 dogs in the bed.

We're the same. Whenever other moms talk about bed sharing because it's the only way anyone will sleep, my mind just boggles. My son makes at least two full circles around his crib while sleeping, and he does not like to be cuddled. :P Plus I cannot stand anyone touching me while I sleep. It was hard enough being in the same hotel room when we stayed at the Dolphin, I can't imagine using the same bed! (And I greatly appreciate DCL cabins having room separating curtains.)

We're the same. Whenever other moms talk about bed sharing because it's the only way anyone will sleep, my mind just boggles. My son makes at least two full circles around his crib while sleeping, and he does not like to be cuddled. :P Plus I cannot stand anyone touching me while I sleep. It was hard enough being in the same hotel room when we stayed at the Dolphin, I can't imagine using the same bed! (And I greatly appreciate DCL cabins having room separating curtains.)
My son is very very still when he sleeps. One of my favorite parts of vacation is snuggling with him in bed every night. We just got home & he is in his own bed again tonight. I’m glad b/c it’s what is best for him & us, but I will miss it 😊.

I would stick with Boulder Ridge for the convenience.

When my kids were young I would sleep with DS in one bed and XH would sleep in the other bed. When DD came along I slept with her she XH slept with DS.

Everyone slept well.

We are DVC and usually get a 1 BR. The girls always sleep with us, even with the pull out couch. They aren't toddlers anymore though. Me and hubby sleep on the outside and the girls between us. ODD was never a great sleeper, but that has never been an issue at WDW being as she is so knocked out from the day.

That being said, we put them in the bed with us only when they were in their own bed at home. That for us is usually around 2.5-3.5.
What does he sleep in at home? If he is still in a crib, he would most certainly be ok in the PnP for a few days.

DS is almost 2 now and I would def put him in PnP if we were to go now.

Tough call here.... I’m not sure there is a best answer, but I think there is one wrong answer. The wrong answer is two beds without the little one having prior experience in a bed with rails! Went once with a three year old who had no experience sleeping in a real bed and she didn’t sleep in the bed at all until the third night when exhaustion won.

OP here! Thanks for all of the replies... I guess there is no perfect solution hahaha. For financial reasons I just had to ditch Boulder Ridge (unfortunately) and have booked a standard (2 bed) room at CBR. But I may reevaluate once they release the next set of offers and see if a King room with just the pack n play would be doable.

My kid sleeps extremely well but he doesn’t shut himself down (he’s go go go all the time!) until we lay him in the crib. He sticks his thumb in his mouth and is out like a light in minutes lol.

For those that have done a standard room at a moderate with a pack n play was there enough room or does it feel cramped?

OP here! Thanks for all of the replies... I guess there is no perfect solution hahaha. For financial reasons I just had to ditch Boulder Ridge (unfortunately) and have booked a standard (2 bed) room at CBR. But I may reevaluate once they release the next set of offers and see if a King room with just the pack n play would be doable.

My kid sleeps extremely well but he doesn’t shut himself down (he’s go go go all the time!) until we lay him in the crib. He sticks his thumb in his mouth and is out like a light in minutes lol.

For those that have done a standard room at a moderate with a pack n play was there enough room or does it feel cramped?

I haven't done CBR but at POFQ I didn't think it felt cramped. We stuck it in the dressing area of the bathroom so we could close the curtain to get it as dark as possible. We tried having it in the corner of the room but it was too bright.

But everyone has their own definition of cramped....

Actually, I think we all slept sounder knowing he wouldn't fall out of bed. Also, I think sleeping in our bed helped him calm down after a busy day at Disney. But he hated the pack and play, and was used to sharing a bed with us anytime we were in a hotel (and we traveled quite a bit for my husband's job). It might not work for everyone, but we liked having the extra floor space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter