Which resort for kids aged 8 and 10

jjwelch24

Mouseketeer
We are going to be taking our kids, ds10 and dd8, to WDW next year and we are trying to pick a resort. We stayed at WVL last year. We are thinking either BCV, BWV, or AKV. Any recommendations with kids aged 8 and 10? We will either get a one bedroom or two bedroom. Thanks.

My kids are 6 and 8, so relatively close - we enjoyed BCV for the great pool, and also for walking distance to EPCOT/DHS - we could stand outside and see the fireworks very easily, which was fun. We also really enjoy AKV - the theming can't be beat, the pools are nice, great animal watching. The only drawback there is everything is a bus ride, it can sometimes feel cut off. If you do BCV, I would suggest trying for a two bedroom - we had a one bedroom, and there is only one bathroom/it felt kind of cramped compared to, say Kidani. At AKV, you will also have the same issue if you select Jambo house - although we prefer Jambo, as it has the quick service food, 2 table service restaurants and a very lively lobby. We've never stayed at BWV, although we've walked through the pool area and it seems fine. Good luck!!

We are going to try for part of our November trip for AKV, but otherwise my boys have asked if we can spend part of it at OKW. They love that the basketball court and tennis court are right by the pool. They have to be busy all the time!:goodvibes

if MK is your main park then you might get a little upset with the buses at the BC - or maybe not - if you are the type to go to a park until it closes than the BCV or BWV would work fine.

in the morning - bc/yc are the only one that share - later on (late morning to early afternoon and sometimes at night) - you will probably be sharing a bus to the MK with D&S, yc, bc & BW -- this is a longer route

with BLT you can walk to the MK and ride the monorail to Epcot (just watch for the times when the MK closes earlier than Epcot - because the monorial stops then)

now if your favorite parks are Epcot and studios - then BCv or bwv would work great. if your favorite is AK - you can stay anywhere.

My two kids (10 and 11) new favorite is AK Kidani!! They loved it here, from night goggles, to the savannah balcony, kids room, pool. We loved it to!
BC is now second in running.
WL third
OKW 4th

This year we are going to try to change from one of our home resorts to BC. If not we are staying @ OKW. I like to change it up from year to year, from a darker resort feel to a more Florida feel resort.

Kids like resorts for some reasons that you would never expect. My 5 year old daughter asks if we are going back to Kidani b/c she loved being in the Community Hall making crafts (she specifically remembers beads). My 10 year old son wants to go to Saratoga b/c he remembers the lizards that we saw around the property. 13 year old son didn't have much input but he finally mentioned wanting to stay at the "modern" hotel (BLT). Upcoming trip is a split stay at BWV/BLT. So we plan to take advantage of walking to Epcot/Studios the first part of the trip and spend time at MK the last part.

My 8 and 10 year old nieces liked BCV. They liked Stormalong Bay. They liked walking over to the Boardwalk, but I didn't think they would like the main pool there, and I think Beach Club has nicer quiet pools than the Boadwalk.

They surprised me by how much they wanted to go to Epcot. They decided that they had to get passports stamped at every country, so we did that over 2 nights. We would have been too tired to do that if we needed transportation to get back to the hotel afterward.

They did not like Animal Kingdom and did not like looking at the animals, so AKV would not have been a good choice for them.

alas;), there's really no way to know which resort someone would like until they actually stay there :confused3

we thought my dd, ds, and nephews would love the BCVs since everyone loved the BWVs so much (my family would go 1-2x a year, my parents and brother and family once ever other). sooo we added on before staying there.
all the kidlets preferred the BW pool - they didn't care for the crowds at SAB (actual swimming was difficult in :crowded:), and missed the nearness of BWV's community hall. DSIL didn't like that it is difficult relax at SAB with kids, especially when they wanted to use the slide or explore the pool (it is HUGE).
adults and children preferred the views at BWV, the quieter lobby and common areas, with a myriad of entertainment and activity options at our fingertips.

there are many, many ppl that love the BCVs (and for good reason - it is a beautiful resort, with a lot going for it).
we don't regret any of our resort stays (almost all of the mods, deluxes, and DVCs) - every resort has something unique to offer. now that we go 2-3x a year, we are mostly stay at our absolute favorite, and just visit the others for some of the amenities (excluding SAB, of course;)).

enjoy your decision - imho, a smidge of adventure (e.g., trying a new resort) is another way to keep WDW fun :)

Just back from incredible stay at AKL Jambo house. 8 year old twins and 13 DS loved it! Twins loved going to trade with King Pin in the gift shop everyday at 3pm. DD 8 loved decorating cookies in BOMA's we had a car so no problem getting around. My kids also liked BCV and BLT but I think AKL seemed more resort like.

My boys who are now 10 and 12 LOVE BCV... We stayed at AKV last year and they really loved that too. It is honestly a tie between the two. For a more relaxing feel Id say AKV but we like the walking distance of Epcot and Hollywood Studios so we have ended up at BCV 3x... Either way you will be happy!

I would have thought that my kids wouldn't love our home resort of SSR, but they ask to stay there every time we say we are going to Disney. They low the pools, the community center, and the boat rides to DTD. We've stayed at BCVs before, been to the pool at the BWV, stayed at AKV's, but each time we try and go somewhere else they always beg for SSR. Although this year we told the, we were going to try stay somewhere different. We shall see what happens.

If I were to pose that question to my kids (ages 10 and 6), they would be split between BC and AK. If your children are great swimmers, I would suggest BC...if not, Kidani Village, savannah view. HTH! :)

We are going to be taking our kids, ds10 and dd8, to WDW next year and we are trying to pick a resort. We stayed at WVL last year. We are thinking either BCV, BWV, or AKV. Any recommendations with kids aged 8 and 10? We will either get a one bedroom or two bedroom. Thanks.

I doubt you could go horribly wrong with any of these choices. We're trying BWV for the first time in August (our last WDW DVC to try) and I have no doubts we'll like it. We haven't even BEEN to the boardwalk yet so I am looking forward to that. We have stayed at AKV (both Jambo and Kidani) and at BCV....BCV ranks as 1 of our top 2 favs (tied with VWL). We like AKV a lot too and prefer Jambo House to Kidani. (Kidani has an understated lobby, very smaalllll store and no CS options so we ended up schleping over to Jambo a lot.) When we stayed at BCV we spent 1 whole day just hanging out at Stormalong Bay - this is the only resort pool that would "hold us" like that for an entire day. If your kids like pools I think BCV is a great choice for a summer trip when you're likely to spend a lot of time cooling off at the pool. We also spent a lot more time going to Epcot on that trip and loved that back entrance. Very convenient. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!