Which Rental Car Company?

earthyfamily

Mouseketeer
We've used Budget a number of times before, but the $200 deposit really drives me crazy for some reason....I can't seem to find anything about Alamo requiring a deposit though. And I don't know much about other car rental companies. We'd like a nice car....something exceptionally clean as well. We also need something that is onsite at the Orlando airport (MCO)...not one that you take a bus or tram or anything like that to get to their parking lot of cars. Who's your favourite car rental company and why? What's their deposit requirements? TIA!

If your looking for something "exceptionally clean and nice" I would suggest Hertz, but they are offsite, requiring a five minute bus ride. For on-site rentals, ive found (at least MCO) Budget and National are the best. National and Alamo are sister companies, and for the most part, share the same policies, so I would guess they do not require a deposit. Also, if you are a member of the Emerald Club, you can often times spot a "nice" (as in leather, sunroof, XM) vehicle on the Emerald Aisle if you reserve an Intermediate car.

I prefer Hertz. They do require a bus ride but it is a short one. No deposit required. If you are a AAA member they do offer a good discount.

$200 deposit? We've never been charged a deposit for any car we've rented.

We prefer on airport rental places, I think we were using National and Budget a lot when we used to fly in to MCO.

Anne

$200 deposit? We've never been charged a deposit for any car we've rented.

We prefer on airport rental places, I think we were using National and Budget a lot when we used to fly in to MCO.

Anne

It is not really a deposit, but, a hold on your credit card. National, Avis and Alamo do not put an extra (above the rental cost) on your CC. Budget and Dollar (for example do).

It is not really a deposit, but, a hold on your credit card. National, Avis and Alamo do not put an extra (above the rental cost) on your CC. Budget and Dollar (for example do).

It's not a charge, so what's the big deal? It gets taken off once you return the vehicle.

Anne

It's not a charge, so what's the big deal? It gets taken off once you return the vehicle.

Anne

But its money that is being held that can't be spent on other things at the park. I'm sure the original poster would prefer to spend that extra money on things at WDW rather than having it being held by the car rental company. This is why I decided to go with Alamo.

But its money that is being held that can't be spent on other things at the park. I'm sure the original poster would prefer to spend that extra money on things at WDW rather than having it being held by the car rental company. This is why I decided to go with Alamo.

OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip. What if there was an emergency and you need to go back home, and the airline is going to charge you an additional $200 per ticket to change them? What if one of the kids gets sick and you need to take them to the walk-in clinic?

Just my opinion, but if my finances were that tight, I wouldn't be taking an expensive WDW vacation.

Anne

Is the OP paying cash, with a debit card or with a credit card?

Many agencies will take a deposit if you're using a debit card. Some of the agencies that don't take a deposit don't accept a debit card. The agency wants to know they'll get paid if you return the car late or without a full tank of gas. The website talks about deposit if the renter is using a MC or Visa debit card.

I don't think there is anyway around a deposit for a cash rental.

Otherwise call your credit card company. See if you can at least get a temporary increase in your line of credit.

edited to say I do see the Orlando location is putting a hold on your credit card. That's the kind of policy that might change, I wouldn't be surprised if other agencies does the same thing. Just see if you can get your line of credit increased.

It is common for a business to put a hold on a credit card. Many of the self-service gas stations put a $50 hold before you start filling up. Sometimes that hold takes a day to clear.

OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip.
I think you missed the point. I never said anything about being close to the limit or anything like that. I only said that the money they hold on your credit card is money that potentially could be spent on food, souvenirs, splurge purchase etc. For example, my car rental with Alamo is $163, if they held the minimum $250 that others do, that would almost $90 that is being held that can't be used for anything else until that hold is removed. Also if there was an emergency there is no guarantee that the car rental company is going to take the hold off right away. That would also be $90 less than I could potentially spend if I wanted to. That was what I was trying to say. The holds that some companies place on your card does reduce the amount you have to potentially spend, though you probably won't.

I just booked with Dollar for next Nov. and didn't even have to give my cc. Also we've used every onsite company except Avis and L&M and never had to give a CC or deposit. :confused3

I don't recall ever having a hold placed on a credit card for a reservation. We've been using National pretty regularly since my husband is an EC member, so they do have our cc info through EC, but, even before he joined EC I was never asked for cc info when making the ressie, only when we picked the vehicle up......now maybe they did put a hold at that point but if they did I was never aware of it and it was never an issue. As I said, we've been using National regularly lately ......they are a little more, however, as EC members we get to add an additional driver free ( as long as they reside in the same household and it's a family member) and if we went with any of the other companies it's an extra charge, so even though they're a little higher it becomes about even due to that issue. Also, we love not having to wait in ANY lines at all.....just going to the garage and picking up our car on the EA or ER.....last trip we got a really nice Pontiac (I think it's Pontiac) Torrent, leather interior.....nice mid size SUV on the EA.

Anne

well, some people have limits on their charge accounts and to them it is a big deal. Often it takes up to 10 days for that charge to come off. It would not affect me and obviously not you, but, it does affect others. Try to think about other people, please.

We have always used Budget Rent a Car even though every time we do I have to truck myself down to the airport (DIA) which is a good 1 hour drive. I don't think that we have used a different rent a car service in all 7 trips in a row that we have taken (Although we have taken our car). Their cars last the whole 3 day drive there and back!

I just booked with Dollar for next Nov. and didn't even have to give my cc. Also we've used every onsite company except Avis and L&M and never had to give a CC or deposit. :confused3

when you pick up the car they will put a hold on your CC with Dollar. From Dollar's web site. Credit Qualifications/requirement: To qualify to rent the DOLLAR vehicle, the renter must present at the time of rental a major credit card or debit card (See Debit Card Usage below) in the renters own name with available credit. A hold will be placed on the renters credit card for the estimated amount of the rental plus 15% or a minimum amount, whichever is greater, as determined by the location where you intend to rent. The hold will be removed at the end of the rental when the final charges are settled. Because the requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on credit qualifications and requirements where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle. http://dollarcar.com/about/general_policies.aspx

Budget's policy is similar. The minimum amount is approx. 250.00.

No one said anything about a hold being put on your card when you reserve, only when you pick it up. Please, reread the posts you you won't be further confused. :)

I don't recall ever having a hold placed on a credit card for a reservation. We've been using National pretty regularly since my husband is an EC member, so they do have our cc info through EC, but, even before he joined EC I was never asked for cc info when making the ressie, only when we picked the vehicle up......now maybe they did put a hold at that point but if they did I was never aware of it and it was never an issue. As I said, we've been using National regularly lately ......they are a little more, however, as EC members we get to add an additional driver free ( as long as they reside in the same household and it's a family member) and if we went with any of the other companies it's an extra charge, so even though they're a little higher it becomes about even due to that issue. Also, we love not having to wait in ANY lines at all.....just going to the garage and picking up our car on the EA or ER.....last trip we got a really nice Pontiac (I think it's Pontiac) Torrent, leather interior.....nice mid size SUV on the EA.

Again, it is not put on when you make the reservation, but it is, with certain agencies, when you pick up the car. National and Alamo do NOT put holds on cc in excess of the rental amount. National charges you at the end, but, puts a hold on for the amount of the rental at the beginning. Alamo charges you at the beginning and does not hold any extra. Avis, chages you at the end, puts a hold on the card for the amount of the rental, no extra. However, if you do use a debit card for the rental, there is an additional hold placed on the card.
All this information is available on the agencies websites.

OK, it's a hold on the credit card, not cash of the pocket. If I had that little credit limit left, I'd be rethinking the trip. What if there was an emergency and you need to go back home, and the airline is going to charge you an additional $200 per ticket to change them? What if one of the kids gets sick and you need to take them to the walk-in clinic?

Just my opinion, but if my finances were that tight, I wouldn't be taking an expensive WDW vacation.

Anne

That is really not your call. People are entitled to what they want, when they want and how they want with their money. I can understand where the OP is coming from. While it is not an issue for me, I would still not like having my funds tied up by anyone. It is the not the amount, it is the principal.

I think you missed the point. I never said anything about being close to the limit or anything like that. I only said that the money they hold on your credit card is money that potentially could be spent on food, souvenirs, splurge purchase etc. For example, my car rental with Alamo is $163, if they held the minimum $250 that others do, that would almost $90 that is being held that can't be used for anything else until that hold is removed. Also if there was an emergency there is no guarantee that the car rental company is going to take the hold off right away. That would also be $90 less than I could potentially spend if I wanted to. That was what I was trying to say. The holds that some companies place on your card does reduce the amount you have to potentially spend, though you probably won't.

Actually, it is an additional 200 or 250. If your car rental was 200.00 and the minmum held was either 15% or 250.00 over the car rental, that would make it 450.00 (assuming the min. of 250.00).
I totally understand where you are coming from and agree with you 100%.

I won't say that Alamo is my *favorite*, but we did have a good rental from them last week at MCO. They had just added many new cars to their fleet ~ we got a Highlander with 8 miles on it! Nicest, cleanest rental car we've ever had :)

I purposely keep my credit limits down, typically in the 500 to 1K range. A $200.00 hold is quite a bit on top of gas stations placing 75.00 holds for a 20.00 fill up. I should not have to rethink my trip because I keep my open credit lines down-it's a smart financial decision here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter