Which New Signature?

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
Planning our next trip and want to try a new signature or two. Currently thinking about California Grill, Flying Fish, Jiko and Paddlefish. We'll have two people who will eat either beef or seafood and two who will probably prefer seafood. Primarily interested in quality food and a fairly nice atmosphere. One thing that concerns me about California Grill is that I've heard it is loud with lots of kids running around. Has anyone experienced that? I'd prefer a fairly relaxing atmosphere.

We've been to Yachtsman and Narcoossee's and enjoyed those but want to try some new places. Thanks in advance.

I would choose Jiko. It is a very relaxed, serene upscale atmosphere and the food is outstanding.
After years of amazing meals at CG, we had a few poor experiences when the refurb was completed-unmemorable to unpleasant food and yes, it can be loud with lots of kids creating a chaotic experience.

Depending on when your trip is, I may want to give Paddllefish a couple of months. Ive heard some amazing things about the FOH staff but the kitchen is going through some learning pains (which always happens). Best to wait until like May or so.

So, post May I'd say Paddlefish and Jiko. Before May I'd say Jiko and Flying Fish.

If you chose Cali Grill, the further away from Wishes time you get, the less kids their generally are. That being said, no kid there has ever impacted my dining experience and it's a risk you take when vacationing at the #1 vacation destination in the world.

I had a kid throw a crayon at me once in BlueZoo...it can happen almost anywhere.

I'd second Jiko.
We weren't too impressed with CG..The staff was horrible..From the mgr. to the front check in to the clueless waitress....My food out of 9 was the only ones that was enjoyable.. Everyone else's was just meh to bad.

CG has always been good for me, FF is great to good; Jiko is great, but AKL is always out of the way in my view, so I should go more than I do. I don't know about Paddlefish yet, but I'm excited to try it soon!

Planning our next trip and want to try a new signature or two. Currently thinking about California Grill, Flying Fish, Jiko and Paddlefish. We'll have two people who will eat either beef or seafood and two who will probably prefer seafood. Primarily interested in quality food and a fairly nice atmosphere. One thing that concerns me about California Grill is that I've heard it is loud with lots of kids running around. Has anyone experienced that? I'd prefer a fairly relaxing atmosphere.

We've been to Yachtsman and Narcoossee's and enjoyed those but want to try some new places. Thanks in advance.
CA Grill is too hit-or-miss, particularly if you want quiet. But a meal here can also me magical. Arriving for the first-seating (5-5:30pm) may be the most quiet, unless you dine after the Fireworks. Also, unlike Grand Floridian & AKLodge, there is nothing too charming about a stroll through the Contemporary (and we stay here).

Flying Fish - we've not been since the remodel, but we simply prefer nearby BlueZoo anyway. And since BlueZoo is not part of Disney Dining, fewer kids.

Jiko - certainly food that is a bit different, but as PP mentioned, not sure it's worth going so far out of your way unless you want to stroll around the AKLodge (which is marvelous).

Paddlefish - I was hoping to make it to Boathouse for our next vacation, but Paddlefish looks to have a menu a bit more to our liking. If you were going next week, I suggest wait until they get some of the 'kinks' out from having just opened, but if you're planning on going in a few months, you might see me sitting next to you, albeit, with my kid (sorry).

For CG, here's a suggestion: try the brunch. There's steak, lobster and shrimp as entrees, pork, sushi and smoked salmon on the buffet, and bacon, ham and sausage avaliable as sides. There are hardly any kids, the daytime view is gorgeous and there's classical musicians playing music and setting the autmosphere. Also, unlimited mimosas. It's a totally different experience from the night time chaos.

Other then that, I recommend jikos, or the Swalfin resturants if your not on the dining plan.

If only one: Jiko. Easily. By far. :)

If two: I'd add California Grill. I've heard a few complaints on DIS about noise there, but honestly, we've NEVER had that experience there and have eaten there MANY times over the past 12+ years. I think it's the luck of the draw, as with any restaurant besides V&A.

California Grill was awesome! We had a late reservation after fireworks and didn't see any kids. Amazing food and atmosphere

In all the times we've been to CG, which has always been at fireworks time with the exception of one brunch, we've never experienced overly loud or disruptive kids (which is surprising since my husband and I are kid-free by choice and tend to notice kid noises more than most). We have had a few somewhat disruptive adults, though, but those can happen anywhere too! :ssst: CG has consistently been an amazing meal for us.

Jiko is an excellent option, too. It's a very immersive environment. Like CG and every other restaurant in WDW, however, there is always the chance of kids running around or being overly loud. We experienced this once here, late in the evening (around 9ish).

Have been to California Grill three times and didn't notice any noisy kids running around there on any of my visits. But of the restaurants you mentioned, I'd go with Jiko as it's less expensive than California Grill and I prefer the Jiko food.

We went through the same list you did and only Paddlefish made it to the final cut. Here was our reasoning:

The recent Jiko menu changes are rubbing us the wrong way for some reason, everything we liked is gone and replaced with stuff that doesn't sound as good to us. It's also pricier and harder to get to for us than Paddlefish is.

California Grill and Flying Fish menus look great but seem overpriced compared to Paddlefish

If Fireworks are a factor than I could see spending the extra $ for California Grill Entrees especially with their new menu. They weren't a factor for us.

No problems with kids at California Grill in my past four experiences there since it's been renovated even with being sensitive with noisy kids

WE really enjoyed FF in Decemebr. It was among our favorite meals, and we had some really great meals!

If I can add one more to your list, I would suggest Tiffins, in DAK. Hands down, this meal was the best we had. The service was impecable, the food delicious, and the atmosphere was amazing. WE toured the different rooms of this "art gallery" and ended our day relaxing on the veranda of Nomads Lounge. I like DAK, but can honestly say that once we added Tiffins to our "lineup" DAK was our favorite day of the entire trip.

WE really enjoyed FF in Decemebr. It was among our favorite meals, and we had some really great meals!

If I can add one more to your list, I would suggest Tiffins, in DAK. Hands down, this meal was the best we had. The service was impecable, the food delicious, and the atmosphere was amazing. WE toured the different rooms of this "art gallery" and ended our day relaxing on the veranda of Nomads Lounge. I like DAK, but can honestly say that once we added Tiffins to our "lineup" DAK was our favorite day of the entire trip.

I'll give Tiffins' menu a look. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions/thoughts. Still kicking it around but leaning towards Jiko and/or FF (but also think that Paddlefish is still in the running!).

I second "Tiffins"!! Food and service was Excellent!! DH had Wagyu Beef and I had the Hoisin-Glazed Grouper.

As if you needed another vote for Jiko. . .yet, I'm still saying that would be a good choice. As someone else said, it's a fairly immersive experience: lovely ambiance, good food, superb service. CG has always been a good meal for food for us, and while we've not experienced any particularly noisy kids, the overall dining ambiance has always been louder than most Signatures which can be off-putting if you prefer a quieter locale for conversation. Another option I've not seen mentioned here is Artist Point. Again, a superb ambiance, generally excellent food (both meat and seafood options) and service, and a wine list from the Northwest that is excellent. Paddlefish has an intriguing menu, and we'll eat there come May, but it's still an unknown at this point.

In all the times we've been to CG, which has always been at fireworks time with the exception of one brunch, we've never experienced overly loud or disruptive kids (which is surprising since my husband and I are kid-free by choice and tend to notice kid noises more than most). We have had a few somewhat disruptive adults, though, but those can happen anywhere too! :ssst: CG has consistently been an amazing meal for us.

Jiko is an excellent option, too. It's a very immersive environment. Like CG and every other restaurant in WDW, however, there is always the chance of kids running around or being overly loud. We experienced this once here, late in the evening (around 9ish).
Yeah, your comment re: disruptive adults is certainly true. We had a lunch at Chefs de France where the table across from us had 4 drunk, obnoxious, embarrassing Texans. Wasn't cool at all. And this was around noon.

For CG, here's a suggestion: try the brunch. There's steak, lobster and shrimp as entrees, pork, sushi and smoked salmon on the buffet, and bacon, ham and sausage avaliable as sides. There are hardly any kids, the daytime view is gorgeous and there's classical musicians playing music and setting the autmosphere. Also, unlimited mimosas. It's a totally different experience from the night time chaos.

Other then that, I recommend jikos, or the Swalfin resturants if your not on the dining plan.
How does the brunch work with respect to the dining plan? I understand it is 2 credits but how do the small plates (for example) fit into the plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter