Which laptop for college?

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

My son is heading off to college in the fall.

Any suggestions on a laptop for him? (He got a printer from us as a graduation present.) Any particular features/ anything else that he needs? How much memory?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I suggest macbook pro, but I'm sure people will disagree with me! It depends on what kind of system he prefers or is used to.. no point in getting him a mac if he's used windows his whole life and vice versa. I just personally suggested MBP because I used one all 4 years of college with no issue and in any given lecture class you'd just see a sea of MBP's haha.

He's used to windows. And when we asked tech at his school, the response was pretty much anything BUT a Mac... Not sure why

Possibly because of the use of Microsoft Office for systems like excel.. What is he studying? In my studies I did sometimes need systems that weren't readily available on my mac but we had computers in almost every building I could use for it instead. Also what I studied (fashion merchandising) did not really require anything more advanced than word documents and powerpoints haha! For a windows laptop I'd just recommend a Dell or maybe an HP.

I have a Toshiba Google Chromebook and I love it.https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B3330-Chromebook-Celeron-Silver/dp/B00N99FV76/ref=dp_ob_title_ce I have one like this one.

I don't bother to use Microsoft Office, but you can. The rare times I need Windows, I just use the online Office through the school. They use Microsoft Office and Outlook, and all students have a basic version of it for free. But honestly, I don't need it that much. And you can download it onto the Chromebook free on some models. I've never had to do that, though.

Online storage as opposed to on the computer has been a huge lifesaver. I back up to Google Drive because then I can get to it from any computer, and have a copy of my work saved if the one on my computer goes pear-shaped. Teachers take "my computer crashed" as the new "the dog ate my homework", heh, so I better have it regardless of what my tech does. And between Google, SkyDrive, DropBox I have a ton of storage, so I don't need to pay for it in the computer.

Three things make a computer expensive: Storage, speed, and screen. Screen I'd say go for. Headaches because of staring at a crappy screen all night suck. Storage doesn't matter if you use cloud storage. And speed is only really necessary if he plays MMOs or other memory intense computer games.

The most important feature of a computer for me is weight. Chromebook is lighter than my notebooks, and since I'm carrying it around all day that is important. I brought a heavier computer before and my back got really sore really fast.

If he wants an Windows machine, I'd get a Toshiba transformer, that's lightweight. And Toshiba is the best out there. Samsung is close second. I've had their netbooks and they are good.

I don't know much about Apple computers, because they are hugely expensive and I use Google everything anyway.

Unless he needs specific software for his major that's only available on a specific operating system, it doesn't matter whether he uses a Mac or a Windows machine. Microsoft Office runs on either, and that's what the vast majority of college kids are going to be using. Exceptions: Graphic design and other 'artsy' majors, and engineering and certain technical fields, are more likely to require niche software.

Get the best specs you can afford. An overpowered computer today will be middle-of-the-road in a few years. An underpowered computer today will be obsolete by then. Specifics from my former career of selling computers:
- Having enough RAM is the best way to extend a computer's useful life, and it's much harder to upgrade most laptops than it used to be, so you're best off buying one with a ton of it to start with. My current laptop has 16GB of RAM. It's overkill today, but I expect to keep this machine for at least 3 more years, if not longer. (It's a year old now.)
- SSDs (Solid State Drives) are faster and somewhat more reliable than standard hard drives, but you sacrifice storage space. I have a SSD in my laptop, and use an external hard drive for storage of large media files (music, videos, etc). I'd personally never go back to an internal HDD.
- Graphics cards and processor speeds aren't super important unless he's a gamer. If he is, he knows what specs he needs. If he just wants to watch Netflix every now and again, onboard graphics and a middle of the road processor will be fine. The Intel Core i5 is a decent mid-grade solution that should last a while. A screen with a decent resolution is a must, regardless of the graphics card, though. Super-cheap screens are painful to use. (My personal opinion on touch screens: Nice for fun, not great for work, unless you're an artist.)

Make sure he has a backup solution. Whether it's an online service, an external drive, or both - losing all your papers and class work to a drive failure or a stolen laptop is a great way to ruin your entire semester. Cloud storage for documents, in particular, can be a lifesaver. I personally over-backup everything in a very redundant fashion because my entire life is digital and losing things isn't an option.

Before you spend extra on something super-light in hopes of him carrying it to class, make sure the school allows it. More and more colleges and universities are banning laptops in classrooms because they increase student distraction. Heck, I had professors 10+ years ago that didn't allow them. And honestly, I always felt like I got more out of note-taking when doing it by hand. YMMV, of course.

Ask the College. They will have recommendations on platform PC vs Mac, minimum hardware specs and applications it will need to support. Also some colleges have very good deals if you purchase from them including things like on-site warranty repairs. So check with them first.

I did ask the school; they said pretty much anything that isn't a Mac.

And they'll give the kid Microsoft Office.

Rhie, thanks for the particular recommendation-- it was cheaper than what I was expecting to see as replies.

Any other particulars? I have to admit, I'm not a computer person. I don't know one brand or model from another, don't know the difference between a notebook and a laptop.

If the school is recommending Windows based computers, perhaps go with that. You could also check with the school to see if they offer discounts.

Another thing is to keep an eye on discounts the second half of July to about the first half of August. This is Christmas season for computers, especially laptops due to the huge numbers of kids going off to college.

I went through this the past few years with both of my kids. We've had nothing but Windows based computers in our house, but we gave the kids the option to pick whatever laptop they wanted, within reason. With no previous OS X experience, both picked MacBook Pros. Yes, they are more expensive, but I've been very impressed with the build quality and durability. My DD is going into her senior year in college now and the MacBook Pro is still good as new, has done everything she wants and still should have plenty of life. Their experience has led me to get a used one for myself and I'm very pleased with it so far.

If you were to go the Apple route, I'd encourage you to wait a couple more weeks. Apple doesn't discount computers often, but Best Buy generally has a $100 sale off many models either late July or early August and they also usually have a $100 student discount...I think student ID card or something official from the school is needed as proof.

OK, that's great advice. Thanks so much.

We'll go computer shopping as soon as we get home from WDW ;)

"Before you spend extra on something super-light in hopes of him carrying it to class, make sure the school allows it. More and more colleges and universities are banning laptops in classrooms because they increase student distraction. Heck, I had professors 10+ years ago that didn't allow them. And honestly, I always felt like I got more out of note-taking when doing it by hand. YMMV, of course."

10 years ago I can see that. But I don't see that being helpful as a college-wide policy now. College is supposed to, among other things, prepare students to work and learn in a job. That means having to learn how to use a computer for notes and research without getting distracted. I usually take notes by hand, as I remember it better that way, or when the prof speaks VERY fast. Even when I am not using it for notes, its good to have it with me. More and more professors incorporate technology into all kinds of classes these days. And those activities usually count toward participation.

Some professors might have the no computer policy, but usually if the student shows that they can be responsible with the computer, the prof is okay with it. I know I've never had a problem. The prof might come over the first week or so and see what I am doing on my computer. When they see a single Google Doc page open with notes from the class, they usually wander off again. And, even if its a hard no for class, they don't care if the computer is off and in my bag. That would be silly if they did.

And, even if it I am not using it in class, I am glad to have it with me. I usually stay on campus between classes to study, go to work-study, meet friends, or hang out in the bookstore cafe for some downtime. I use my computer during all of those activities and it gets very old very quickly to have to go schlep to home and back between classes to get or drop off the computer. Its much easier to just keep it in my bag at all times.

I'm currently in college and usually only 1 of my professors each semester even lets us have our laptops out in class. They usually say its because statistics show if you take notes by hand you remember it better. I know you said no macs but as an example... I got a Macbook Pro for school and wish I got the Air because it is significantly lighter. Carrying notebooks and occasionally textbooks around campus is a lot, and a laptop doesn't make it much better. Even if he isn't allowed to have his laptop out during class, he might be going to the library to do work during a break and it IS heavy. I often leave my laptop in my room to not have to carry it which results in me not doing work in my free time.

What is he planning to study? Some fields have pretty specific computer needs. For example, a lot of engineering software doesn't run on the Mac OS and requires more memory than if you're just running Office. If you're a humanities major though that doesn't really matter. If he's required to use Office I wouldn't get a Chrome Book.

10 years ago I can see that. But I don't see that being helpful as a college-wide policy now.

Whether you see it as helpful or not, it is a policy at some schools and with some professors, and OP's son should consider that if he plans to take a laptop to class.

Whether he can use it for taking notes or not doesn't really matter to me... he can sort that out at school. He'll need one for papers. They say the computer labs get really crowded at midterm and finals time, so I think it's a good idea to have one. He has a printer already; we found a sale when Office Max went under last month and got him one as a graduation gift.

And he will be using Microsoft Office, so I'll need one that can support that.

That's what I thought. But someone said not to get a chromebook, so I thought I would include the info.

That's what I thought. But someone said not to get a chromebook, so I thought I would include the info.

Chromebooks can access Office online.

They can also use Google Docs, which is a workable alternative for many purposes.

(I'm not a Chromebook fan at all, but I like to provide accurate information.)

Can I ask why you're not a Chromebook fan?

Obviously I'm in over my head here. I had a laptop years ago, and I have an Ipad. But for school, I seriously prefer my desktop computer.

So I'm looking for some idea of what to buy-- what features, how much memory, what brand names...

Those of you in the know, what would you buy? (Oh, and since someone asked, he'll be a criminal justice major)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter