Which is Quieter OKW or SSR?

Discussion in 'DVC Resorts' started by SwanVT2, Apr 15, 2018.

1. SwanVT2

SwanVT2 DIS Veteran

We are still trying to finalize where we want to stay for our next trip 2019. I am a light sleeper. I have read that OKW is quiet but then have read that if you are in a bottom floor you can hear the people above you pretty well. Which rooms are quieter OKW or SSR? Thank you!

2. BillPA

BillPA DIS Veteran

They're about the same, if you get loud people above or next to you it can be annoying, like any DVC or Disney hotel room.
    Best is to get a top floor away from the elevator/stairs.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

SSR IMO, OKW was built so long ago, I don't think that they put any insulation in the place. More than once we have had no trouble hearing discussions next door.

And to the family during our last stay there, we are glad that you didn't go home early like Dad threatened and we are sorry that your daughters are spoiled. :sad:

:earsboy: Bill

igrsod, Ben E N and larissawbb like this.
  5. Kim&Chris

Kim&Chris DIS Veteran

Have stayed at both, and I think OKW is much quieter. SSR is beautiful, but more like a hotel than OKW. We could always hear the people in the next room while at SSR....not at OKW.

SwanVT2 likes this.
  6. nicki.momof3

nicki.momof3 Addicted to Disney Vacations

OKW hands down. I also love the balconies. They are private with all the greenery around.

SwanVT2 and Kim&Chris like this.
  7. sleepydog25

sleepydog25 Been here awhile

OKW all things being equal.

SwanVT2 likes this.
  8. SwanVT2

SwanVT2 DIS Veteran

oh no!

9. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

Aren’t there OKW buildings that have a bus turn around right outside them. I have not stayed in one, but I do think a villa in that area would be noisy.

Other than in a treehouse, when we could hear the bus, I have not had issues in SSR. (I would still take a treehouse!)

10. Miffy

Miffy DIS Veteran

We were in a studio at SSR right next to the highway last month, and when we checked in I was concerned that it'd be noisy. But with the balcony door closed, we heard zero. I've never heard anything from next door or the corridor at SSR. No experience with OKW, except Olivia's, which we love! And the place is beautiful.

11. MamaBelle4

MamaBelle4 DIS Veteran

No experience with OKW.

When we stayed at SSR, we felt like the only family there. We heard no one in the hallways and no one next door. It was marvelous.

12. BillPA

BillPA DIS Veteran

At SSR just hope the Fire company doesn't have a call, the sirens get very loud, especially at 3 am.

13. DenLo

DenLo DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Paddock at SSR on the side of the building near the fire department and didn't hear a thing with the doors closed. I suggest if you need it completely quiet to bring ear plugs.

14. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Disney controls the Fire Department and they don't like negative attention so they don't make a lot of noise. I know when paramedics are called they use back doors and CM areas to access out of sight of most guests.

:earsboy: Bill

15. KittyKitty

KittyKitty DIS Veteran

I just visualized fire personnel walking on their tippy toes as to not make noise! HaH!

alldiz likes this.
  16. DisneyStarWisher

DisneyStarWisher Love My DVC!!!

We've stayed at OKW twice and never had any noise issues. The first time we were in a studio near the Hospitality House. The second time was in a 2-BR in Building 19. SSR was a different story. We were in a studio in the Grandstand and never heard a thing. Then we moved over to a 1-BR in the Springs and heard the beeping of the buses every morning. So I think there, it depends on what section you are in.

17. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Even in the areas where the buses turn around at OKW, the buses are driving by the door to the villa, not where the bedroom windows are located for the most part. The place where I found the buses to be noisy at OKW were when we were in Bldg 45 near the stop sign for Turtle Pond. Every time they stopped, you could hear the squealing brakes.

18. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

This is good to know, about that area where the buses turn around, thanks.:thumbsup2

19. Wakey

Wakey DIS Veteran

kungaloosh22 likes this.
  20. rg35

rg35 DIS Veteran

The only noise at OKW is from the occasional bus, but I live in a big city so noise like that doesn't bother me. So it's all relative. Any place is quieter than home to me.

Obviously no matter where you are you could get stuck with noisy neighbors or people upstairs running around but those kinds of things are out of your control and the specific resort.