Which hotel/motel would you pick & why?

• Howard Johnson's

• Candy Cane Inn

• Tropicana

• Park Vue

Results are only viewable after voting.

vossjemi

I LUV 2 Travel!!!
Ok, I looked at all the hotels/motels close to disneyland & priced them out. Some had bad reviews on tripadvisor, so I nixed them. Some the cheaper rates were sold out or at least nonexistent. Essentially, I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Please tell which you would pick and why?

1)Hojo 15% disboard/mousesavers discount 2queen/Disney view $135.15/night or pool view $126.65/night. I've seen lots of recommendations for Hojo & am leaning towards a disney view room there, but on the map it looks like the longest walk of all of the hotels. Looks like they will have a great pool area come August. Tripadvisor #5 hotel

2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights. I've seen lots of recommendations for this motel too & its on the same side of the street as disneyland. I read there is a small store next door for water/soda, etc... But, no restaurants real close. Tripadvisor #1 motel

3)Tropicana $131.75/night 2 queen. I've seen some recommendations for this one & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #20

4)Park Vue $131/night for queen/bunk or 2 queen. Seen a few mentions of this hotel & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #16.

So, they are all pricing out pretty close to the same. There were a few other close ones that priced out a little bit higher so I narrowed it to this price range. What one would you pick? Thanks!

My family and I have been to DL about 6 times in the last 5 years and we always stay at the Candy Cane. It's within walking distance but there's a great shuttle that runs back and forth every 30 min. Free breakfast, pool, friendly staff, beautiful grounds - we love it there! We usually eat in the parks so lack of restaurants hasn't been a problem for us, but there is a little store next door and some fast food places (pizza, chinese, etc.) are across the street. Wish I was going back soon!

I voted for CCI.. I have not stayed at any other place in the area but, I have stayed there 3 times now. That means I have been extremely happy every time we stayed. We have only stayed for one night sometimes 2.

We walk and use the shuttle and it is great either way you go. We stayed there when my kids were younger(under 5yo) and they have a great kiddie pool that is shallow and allowed me to sit on the side of the pool and let them splash around. It is fully enclosed and away from the main pool and the hot tub. We all loved this feature.

We also really liked that breakfast was included. Nothing fancy(cereal, bread, pastries, fruit)

2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights.

Why add this one if it is not available for your dates?? You will get 1000's of good reviews for CCI but you need to book it 1 to 2 yrs before your planned trip. And it is very, very small for families.

Why add this one if it is not available for your dates?? You will get 1000's of good reviews for CCI but you need to book it 1 to 2 yrs before your planned trip. And it is very, very small for families.

I think they were saying the AAA rates are not available.

I have always booked CCI a couple months out and had no problems. It is a bit small but really we don't spend anytime in the room so that does not matter to me. We come back exhausted and we are all ready to sleep.. but, we only go for one day or so.. I could see where it would be to small for more then a day or so.

There are only 3 of us so we don't find the rooms too small at all, and we generally stay at least 3 nights. And I've never booked more than 4 months out. But it probably depends on when you are going. We tend to go when it's not so crowded; summer's are probably impossible!

The HoJo and CCI both provide free access for the internet, but the Tropicana charges $9.95 for 24 hours. (HoJo provides a cable to connect to the back of your laptop, and I believe CCI provides free wireless.)

The Tropicana and CCI include a continental breakfast (not fancy, but they have coffee, orange juice, cereal, pastries, fruit, etc.), while the HoJo does not.

I think the HoJo has a nicer swimming area (although the HoJo's swimming pools are in the middle of a major renovation, and they probably won't be finished until the end of July).

HTH :earsboy:

I usually stay at the CCI and have for about 6 years now. Last year we tried the DLH just to try it and this year we are trying HOJOs because of the Entertainment Rate.

I can recommend CCI very highly, it is a very nice place to stay. The breakfast is nice and the shuttle is great.

I know this one isn't on the list, but if anyone on here is in the military you can stay at the castle inn and suites for $38 a night. We stayed in October and it is a basic hotel but it was clean and very close to the park. We spent all of our time at the parks and this place was fine for a place to rest your sleepy head.

Sorry if it was misinterpreted. The lower AAA rate is not available...guess they sold out at that rate level? Didn't know people could do that. But, they aren't sold out for the regular rack rate of $134 for my nights.

I said Hojo's, we are staying there for the first time in a few weeks. It's just got such fabulous reviews. I think we'll really enjoy having the Disney view room too. Plus we were able to get the entertainment rate, which is a HUGE plus.

After that I'd go with the Tropicana. We stayed there last year. Nice, clean, enjoyed the pool area. Can't beat the location, it's right there across the street.

Wow, there are actually more in favor of Hojo's right now than CCI, but so far none of the Hojo voters have told me why they would pick Hojo over CCI. I also see only 1 vote each for Tropicana/Park Vue. Since these 2 are so close, they would seem ideal. Are there reasons why we shouldn't stay at one of these 2? If we choose Hojo, I'm hoping the pool renovations would be done by then. We will be staying 2 nights Aug 10 & 11.

I said Hojo's, we are staying there for the first time in a few weeks. It's just got such fabulous reviews. I think we'll really enjoy having the Disney view room too. Plus we were able to get the entertainment rate, which is a HUGE plus.

After that I'd go with the Tropicana. We stayed there last year. Nice, clean, enjoyed the pool area. Can't beat the location, it's right there across the street.

Haha! We posted at the same time, just when I was wondering why no real Hojo comments!

Also, we won't have a laptop or anything like that with us, so having a line to link into isn't necessary. That being said, we would like to print off our SWA boarding passes 24 hours prior to leaving. Will the front desk at any of these hotels do that for us free of charge? I did that at the Poly 3 years ago, but that may be because they were a disney property.

I voted HoJos because of its value for money and I am keen to try it next year if i can get a good rate. Other than that I would have opted for Tropicanna as its very close and we had a good stay there. Now if Carousel was an option that still is my first pick....

... I also see only 1 vote each for Tropicana/Park Vue. Since these 2 are so close, they would seem ideal. Are there reasons why we shouldn't stay at one of these 2?

I stayed at the Camelot Inn, which is the Tropicana's sister hotel. From my experience, and from what I've heard, if the Tropicana is like the Camelot, then it is also a good choice. It is very clean, good customer service, the continental breakfast is o.k., and according to the Unofficial Guide, the only hotels that are closer than the Tropicana are the GCH and BWPPI.

At the HoJo, I stayed in building #1 (Disney view), and the rooms in building #1 seemed a little bit nicer and a little brighter than the Camelot/Tropicana. I have heard that the CCI has nice rooms, although their rooms aren't very large.

If the Tropicana is like the Camelot Inn, then the landscaping would be minimal (if that makes a difference to you :earsboy:). The grounds and landscaping at the HoJo (and CCI, or so I've heard) are nicer.

HTH :earsboy:

Ok, I looked at all the hotels/motels close to disneyland & priced them out. Some had bad reviews on tripadvisor, so I nixed them. Some the cheaper rates were sold out or at least nonexistent. Essentially, I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Please tell which you would pick and why?

1)Hojo 15% disboard/mousesavers discount 2queen/Disney view $135.15/night or pool view $126.65/night. I've seen lots of recommendations for Hojo & am leaning towards a disney view room there, but on the map it looks like the longest walk of all of the hotels. Looks like they will have a great pool area come August. Tripadvisor #5 hotel

2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights. I've seen lots of recommendations for this motel too & its on the same side of the street as disneyland. I read there is a small store next door for water/soda, etc... But, no restaurants real close. Tripadvisor #1 motel

3)Tropicana $131.75/night 2 queen. I've seen some recommendations for this one & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #20

4)Park Vue $131/night for queen/bunk or 2 queen. Seen a few mentions of this hotel & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #16.

So, they are all pricing out pretty close to the same. There were a few other close ones that priced out a little bit higher so I narrowed it to this price range. What one would you pick? Thanks!

Can I say "other" :tinker: Have you looked at the Anaheim Sheraton hotel? It's a bit far to walk but the only hotel with it's own shuttle other than CCI. The rooms are HUGE, and although the bathrooms are a bit small I didn't find them to be any smaller than CCI. AND, unlike the other hotels you mentioned it has inside corriders and feels more "secure" to me. We have almost always booked it for the prices you quote or less. Right now, we have reservations at $116 a night. Just another option you might consider.

I voted HOJO because we just got back from staying there. I've never stayed at any of the other hotels, but I loved the HOJO. It was quiet and the pool area is going to be awesome when it is finished.

I'd read a couple of posts on here that it was a "long" walk, but I really didn't feel that it was bad at all. I'm used to going to WDW, so walking from the HOJO was nothing.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and definitely keep checking to see if you can get the entertainment rate. I checked the day before we left and they had added our dates! You really can't beat $59/night.

I picked HoJos, because I really did pick it! I haven't stayed at any of the hotels on the list but I've heard such wonderful things about HoJos, and Loreale was just so helpful in answering all of my questions and helping me book, I really feel I made the right choice. The ent. rate really truly can't be beat!!!! :)

I voted Park Vue Inn , location location, and the breakfast was the best i have had when staying in anaheim at a moderate hotel. Fresh fruit , yoghurt, juice ,waffles, toast,oat meal. The Ihop out the front had kids eat free after 4.00pm and we were never disapointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter