Which flight would you take?

Erica09M

Mouseketeer
We need to book our airline tickets... and I'm stuck between two choices.

We can either:

Option #1 Fly Airtran. Our flight would leave at 7am and we'd arrive in Orlando shortly after 9am. We'd have several hours to swim at the resort, before going to dinner at Chef Mickey at 5pm. The airport we're flying out of is an hour away. Plus we'd need to be at the airport in advance. This means we'd leave home around 4am. We're able to pick our seats (for free through Kayak), but will be charged for our bags that we check. Without taking bags into consideration, these tickets will cost us $120 more than option #2.

Option #2 Fly Southwest. Our flight would leave at 12:30pm, and we'd arrive in Orlando just before 3pm. I think we'd be pushing it to get to our resort on time (CBR) and then over to the Contemporary for dinner at Chef Mickey by 5pm. If one small thing holds us up, we'll miss our reservation. We also wouldn't be able to swim at the resort before going to dinner like we would with option #1. We could skip going to CBR from the airport, and just go to the Contemporary and hang out for a little bit before dinner. Then we could head over to our resort, check in, and get our room after dinner. Or, we could cancel our Chef Mickey dinner, head to our resort, swim for a couple hours, and then just eat at our resort. With Southwest, we don't get to pick our seats... but since we have kids we can board the plane after group A if we don't have group A. We also aren't charged for baggage with Southwest because we'll have way less than 2 bags to check per ticket (we have 4 tickets). Southwest is $120 cheaper than Airtran.

There are pros & cons of both options. I need to talk to my husband. I think he'd prefer to have a 12:30 flight, as he's not a morning person and it would save us some money. We already have an early morning planned the day after we arrive (DD's 8am BBB appointment on her birthday). However, I'd love to be able to hang out at the resort and swim for a few hours before dinner. But now I'm thinking, what if it rains? Then we got up early and didn't get to swim LOL

Choices choices! What would you do? Our kids will be 23 months and 5 (turning 5 the day after we arrive at WDW), if that makes a difference.

I like option 2 better myself. A WDW vacation is tiring enough, with out starting it out exhausted. If you had to get up at 3am in order to leave for the airport by 4am, what are the chances your kids (and you) will even be able to enjoy dinner at Chef Mickeys at 5pm? That is a LONG day, and not a great way to start the vacation. I would take the later, less expensive flight and have dinner at the resort. Then get to bed early and be ready to enjoy your first full day and your DD's special day and BBB appointment!

Have fun!

As much as I would rather be at WDW earlier in the day, the money savings is big. If you are not going to a park the first day anyway, go with Southwest.

I would normally recommend the AM flight, but I have had many friends book a flight on Airtran and then have the flight times move. My In-Laws just had a flight move out about 3 times. It started at 9AM and is now scheduled at 1PM. I wouldn't spend the extra money when that could happen. Maybe you could try and move your Chef Mickey's to 6? I know that may be tough. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!

I was actually just checking to see if I could get a later ADR for Chef Mickey's, and they have a 6:55 available. I could take the later flight, still have dinner at Chef Mickey, then go back to the resort and go to bed since we'll have to be up early the next morning. We might have a couple hours between arrival at our resort and leaving for CM, so while we probably won't swim... the kids could still play on the playgound and we could take a nice walk around the resort. This would save us about $165 if I estimate luggage fees.

Hi Erica! :)

I would go with the Southwest flight if you can earlier reservations at Chef Mickey's. Gives you plenty of wiggle room!

Everything I have read about Air Tran on these boards indicates they are NOTORIOUS for changing flight times over and over.....Southwest is very, very reliable. I prefer an am flight myself, but would not pay extra and then have the flight time changed ! I say save the $$ and your sanity and go with Southwest!

With younger kids (under 8ish) I would take option 2. Getting them up really early for a flight on your first day just to add swimming time sounds like a good way to start them off on being over tired. Plus you save a lot of money which I am sure you can spend on the trio somehow:rolleyes1 Though I think I would pay the $120 more to NOT start the kids off over tired even if the moneyworked the other way around. I also am biased because I really like Southwest.

Just remember if you having the dining plan, you'll need to check in at your resort before before going to Chef Mickeys. I would go with the SW flight. What you save will be enough to cover the cost of the Chef Mickey's meal.

I've never had any trouble with ME. We usually give ourselves 1 1/2-2 hours from arrival in the airport. It's never taken that long.

We do something very similiar to your first option, including getting up at 4 am and really like it. We get to our resort, check in, head to MK for a few hours, have a 5pm ADR for Chef Mickey. After dinner back to the resort to unpack and an early bedtime for everyone. We have done this three times so far.

Emily

For me, option 2 wins, hands down. I wouldn't want to be leaving for the airport, then swimming, going to dinner etc...it would be too exhausting. I'd rather sleep normally, go to the airport leisurely, have dinner and check into my room later, then find something fun to do for the evening (swimming maybe?)

Option 2! Option #1 has you paying more for the privilege of cranky tired kids AND a cranky tired spouse! Not a great way to start a vacation. :sad2:

I'd bump back or even cancel the ADR, and enjoy the evening relaxing at your resort.

I am going along with PPs as well. Go with Southwest and cancel or change Chef Mickey. That $120 can buy a lot of souvenirs. By the way I am very frugal. One year we landed at 330 and Chef Mickey reservations at 630. In my mind that was plenty of time. But did plan on it taking an hour to check in. It started the vacation off wrong. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last year we took an early morning flight with our two young children. We reached the resort nice and early, but we were exhausted! The kids were just so tired and over-stimulated.

This year were are taking a late flight. To make up for the "lost time", we are taking an afternoon flight home, which will give us time for a character breakfast and bit of time at the MK before the Magical Express picks us up. I'm hoping this will fit the kids' rhythms and make for a happier family.

Hands down - flight 2.

SW is the best! No baggage fees is the best! Not to mention, getting to the airport with the kids on time for a 7am flight would not be fun. Airtran often runs late and SW tries to be on time most of the time.

Easy decision - not to mention the money savings!!

We are going in May and I just checked today and our flight went down $27 a ticket and with SW you can get that back in the form of a travel voucher to use on a future flight.

I would go with option #2 and change your ADR for Chef Mickey to the later one. The kids will be okay without swimming that night I am sure.

Southwest...BEST airline ever!!! I flew them for the first time back in November from Indianapolis to Orlando. Their selection of snacks was AWESOME!!! AirTran--not so much. Sure you get free XM radio but I hardly EVER listen to it...I spend most of my time sleeping :)

The good thing about SWA--they don't charge for bags. :)

Everything I have read about Air Tran on these boards indicates they are NOTORIOUS for changing flight times over and over.....Southwest is very, very reliable. I prefer an am flight myself, but would not pay extra and then have the flight time changed ! I say save the $$ and your sanity and go with Southwest!

When I was working for AirTran (no longer thank goodness) my flight was changed three times before I left to go up to Indianapolis. Southwest---BEST airline EVER!!! I love their way of boarding :) You know exactly what number you are and don't have to worry about people getting in front of you or jockeying for position :)

We do something very similiar to your first option, including getting up at 4 am and really like it. We get to our resort, check in, head to MK for a few hours, have a 5pm ADR for Chef Mickey. After dinner back to the resort to unpack and an early bedtime for everyone. We have done this three times so far.

Emily

This is exactly what we do!!:cool1: We love it. However, in your case with the young kids and higher price, I would take option #2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter