Which DLR rides/exhibits for young at heart WDW goers

Robindianne

DIS Veteran
Hi there,

DH (55) and I (45) are going to DLR for 1 or 2 days (I know, not nearly enough time), while visiting family in S.Cal. We have each been before (way before DTD and DCA were up) but never together. Did 11 days at WDW the past two years and really love just about everything at every park. So, based on this, which attractions, shows, parades, food (dole whip for sure) are not to be missed for us? We expect to stay until closing whether we go for one day or two.

Should we do park hopping? We even love love love shopping at World of Disney.

Also, I know about the WDW military tickets bought cheaper at Shades of Green but what about DLR? I am a DLR neophyte I'm afraid :guilty: so I need any help or suggestions you all can give.

Sorry so long.
TIA a bunch!

P.S. I have read the thread comparing WDW and DLR but that just makes me want to do it all so I really need personal opinions if you care to give them!

I would ride the attractions that are at DL that *aren't* at WDW - like the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Casey Jr or Storybookland Canal Boats (I like the boats better - it gives you a closer look at the beautiful topiaries and landscaping), Roger Rabbit's CarToon spin. And Pirates is a little different at DL as is Space Mountain (DL's Space is much smoother and faster than MK's, and a much better ride in my opinion.) Also, whatever exhibit is in the Opera House (currently Disneyland, The First 50 Magical Years) is worth seeing. And take the train at least from Tomorrowland to Main Street to see the dioramas. Take your time wandering around through New Orleans Square and Toon Town and enjoy the ambience (and Toon Town has lots of whimsical touches).

You didn't mention when you were going...but see the Block Party Bash at DCA if you can, and or course the fireworks and Fantasmic! at DL.

Food...The ambience in the Blue Bayou is really neat, though it's expensive. I've never been that impressed by the food there, but I haven't tried it since they introduced the new menu. The Monte Cristo sandwich is a "signature" thing there, and you can also get them at Cafe Orleans. (Too heavy and greasy for me, but lots of people enjoy them.) My favorite "quick service" restaurants are Redd Rockett's at DL (great salads and good pizza), and Pacific Wharf Cafe at DCA (yummy soups and salads in sourdough bread bowls.)

There are discount Disneyland tickets available at the MWRs around here, and I know our MWRs can order WDW tickets for us, so it may be that something local to you can order DL tickets if you inquire.

Hope that helps!

Laura

Hey thank you! Great ideas. I'll put them on a list so I don't forget any. Regarding Fantasmic: Should we get the dessert tickets or just wing it? At WDW we have always gotten the meal so we could make sure to have a seat. We will be at DLR Thanksgiving and the day after. When is the block party? I'll have to look that up. Sounds intriguing.

You are so good reminding me to slow down and feel the ambience. We work had to remember that at WDW and now it will be in my brain to do it at DL.

Can't wait!

ScooterL said:
I would ride the attractions that are at DL that *aren't* at WDW - like the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Casey Jr or Storybookland Canal Boats (I like the boats better - it gives you a closer look at the beautiful topiaries and landscaping), Roger Rabbit's CarToon spin. And Pirates is a little different at DL as is Space Mountain (DL's Space is much smoother and faster than MK's, and a much better ride in my opinion.) Also, whatever exhibit is in the Opera House (currently Disneyland, The First 50 Magical Years) is worth seeing. And take the train at least from Tomorrowland to Main Street to see the dioramas. Take your time wandering around through New Orleans Square and Toon Town and enjoy the ambience (and Toon Town has lots of whimsical touches).

You didn't mention when you were going...but see the Block Party Bash at DCA if you can, and or course the fireworks and Fantasmic! at DL.

Food...The ambience in the Blue Bayou is really neat, though it's expensive. I've never been that impressed by the food there, but I haven't tried it since they introduced the new menu. The Monte Cristo sandwich is a "signature" thing there, and you can also get them at Cafe Orleans. (Too heavy and greasy for me, but lots of people enjoy them.) My favorite "quick service" restaurants are Redd Rockett's at DL (great salads and good pizza), and Pacific Wharf Cafe at DCA (yummy soups and salads in sourdough bread bowls.)

There are discount Disneyland tickets available at the MWRs around here, and I know our MWRs can order WDW tickets for us, so it may be that something local to you can order DL tickets if you inquire.

Hope that helps!

Laura

A ride that ScooterL did not mention is Indiana Jones which is one of the best at all of DLR and should work for the young at heart - if you rode Dinosaur at AK it is somewhat similar. If you are doing two days you will have a built-in parkhopper ticket and I recommend you hop to DCA for awhile. If you only go one day, stick with DL. If you go to DCA you might like Grizzly River Run and the Sun Wheel. Also the Aladdin show at DCA is better than anything comparable at WDW right now, IMO. The Soarin Over California ride itself is the same as Epcot, but the building in Condor Flats and queue are much better which makes for a better experience. If you have seen Turtle Talk at Epcot, then it is probably not worth your time at DCA. The theater is bigger at DCA, which means the lines are much shorter than at Epcot. If you like Rock 'n Rollercoaster at MGM, then you will like California Screamin at DCA.

Thanks Hydroguy. I remember that ride. It could be different now (prob is) but I remember riding it the year it opened and the queue alone was the coolest thing! I did ride dinosaur at WDW and love it but cannot miss Indie either.

If you don't have a problem with the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet price, I say go for it. I did it a few years ago and really enjoyed not having to fight for a place to stand and not having to get there early to stake out a spot. There are only two rows of seats so the view is very good. A few seats are not perfect as there are columns you have to look around, but for me this was better than standing for a couple hours and having people try to push in front of me at the last minute. I also really enjoyed the buffet. We had a late lunch to leave room for the buffet. They had cheese, crackers, fruit and a really nice selection of desserts and non-alcoholic drinks.

Indiana Jones is our favorite! The Tiki Room is different as well - closer to the original instead of the "New Management" version that is at WDW. See any of the shows you can as those are different. I also LOVE the fireworks over the castle.

Wow...you'll be there Thanksgiving and the day after - two of the busiest days of the year. Yeah, if you can afford the Fantasmic! dessert buffet (and if you can get it) I'd highly recommend doing that - you'll get a good view without having to stand around and wait for hours (when you could be doing other things!)

The Block Party Bash is the parade over at DCA, featuring characters from the Pixar movies. It stops in a couple of spots along the parade route for a performance section - there are dances, bikers, stiltwalkers, and trampoline artists, as well as some interaction with guests. It's fun.

And as HydroGuy said, definitely do NOT miss Aladdin at DCA - it's a really good show.

Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter