Which Disney restaurants were you unhappy with?

Not everyone has the same flavor palette, same server or visits during the same times of the year. That being said we usually tend to visit WDW during the value seasons in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec when the crowds are lower, the temps cooler and everyone seems more relaxed, even the CM's. We also go down every May with my extended family to celebrate Mothers Day. That being said I can't actually say that we have ever had a bad meal or had a bad enough experience that we would ever rule out not returning to a restaurant, but there are a few on our list that we question if we want to give another chance.

Top on that list for me is Hollywood and Vine Dinner. Last year we ate there twice as a part of the Fantasmic Dinner Package. The overall food selection on the buffet was not bad, but the flavor was bland at best. Also found that the menu items were pretty much the same as what we have experienced in the past at 1900 PF and CP. As such I expected much more individuality from a restaurant in DHS then from one in MK. I have read on this thread where some have complained about the servers, but ours was very friendly and attentive as were the CM's tending the buffet and carving stations.

A close second was Whispering Canyon Café' Dinner: My Family and I have only dined there on one occasion. We had our kids (at the time DD6 and DS3) and they loved the extras and the overall atmosphere of the restaurant. Our server was fairly attentive given the size of the crowd and the number of times he was drawn away to participate in the antics. We ordered the Build Your Own AYCE Family Platter. The rub on the ribs was very salty, the chicken was dry and the beef loin was closer to beef jerky. I realize that we may have gone on an off night and we haven't completely ruled out going again, but there are other buffet style restaurants on property that we have enjoyed much more like Boma, Ohana and Cape May.

Chef Mickey's Dinner: Not sure exactly what I expected when the family and I stepped foot into Chef Mickey's for Dinner to celebrate DS1's and DD3's birthdays with the fab five, but I definitely expected more than some dried out hamburgers, overdone Prime Rib and baked chicken masquerading as "tandori chicken." Again our server was outstanding and the character interactions with the kids were priceless, but I felt that it was extremely overpriced for what they were serving. Now, that being said, on another trip years later we chose to dine at Chef Mickey's for breakfast and it was simply amazing and well worth the price of admission.

LeCellier: As far as the restaurant itself I feel that it is completely overhyped and the reason that it always seemed to be impossible to book reservations is due to the maximum capacity of the restaurant (160 I believe). If I had a place like WDW with thousands of patrons committed to staying at my resorts on my property, attending my theme parks and dining in my restaurants located in those parks then I could probably squeeze several tables and chairs into my garage and declare that it was an exclusive "Signature" restaurant, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a garage. That being said, the quality of the food is very good and we had a fun time with the servers (We're people persons and always try to have a good time with the CM's). As a 1TS restaurant I can see where LeCellier was a very popular and in demand restaurant, but it's not Signature Dining worthy except for the aforementioned limited seating capacity. If I'm on the DDP and I'm going to use 2TS credits on a steak then I'm dining at the Yachtsmen. However, if I could still get in to LeCellier for a late lunch on the 1xDDP, then I'd be fat, dumb and happy, but I believe it's now 2TS all the time... :sad2:

I'm trying to think if there are any Quick Serve locations that we would not recommend or go back to again, but none seem to come to mind.....

Some have mentioned Toy Story Pizza Planet: We ate there once upon a time, but I recall it being neither outstanding nor blatantly horrible.

Others have mentioned ABC Commissary: We have eaten there on several occasions and while the food is nothing to write home about it helped fill a void in our lives and gave us comfort in our times of need... namely the rumblies in our tumblies.

The only one I can imagine having any issue with at all is Casey's Corner. I already know that this may be sacrilege to some, worthy of having me thrown off the DIS or forced to walk the plank pirate:, but I mention Casey's Corner not because the Cast Members are rude, because they are not. I say this not because I've ever had a bad meal there, because the food is pretty rocking for what it is. I say this not because it's dirty or not well ran, because it is not dirty and always well stocked when we go in. I say this because I have a HUGE mental block about paying $9.49 for the same chili cheese hot dog I can get at any 7-11 for $1.89. That's my biggest issue: price point. That being said I can't wait until September when I can sit at one of the outdoor tables, gaze at Cinderella's Castle and dive into one of Casey's Chili Cheese Dogs, large Coke and a mountain of French Fries. :woohoo:

I'd like to know when someone says, "Oh, San Angel was terrible! Never going back!" Was it because they didn't like the food? What food didn't they like?

Although, as I read more of these, the theme seems to be A. service problem (waiter they didn't like, took too long to get seated, etc... Nothing to do with the food) or B. Too bland (which I'm okay with because I would never expect Tony's, for example, to be spicy! In terms of flavor, order something with veggies and herbs. Usually people = flavor with "salt." It's on the table, folks. Feel free to take the cap off and dump it all over your food.)

I disagree with this since the restaurant I would not visit again is Marrakesh. I ordered the vegetable couscous, something with veggies and I would assume the herbs and flavors of Morocco. I did not like it since it was bland. I don't care about salt, I am not a huge salt fan, but I did expect it to have the flavors or at least some flavors of Morocco. It did not. I could and have made a more flavorful couscous dish myself.

It also was very skimpy, i.e. five chickpeas for protein on the entire plate. Just overall disappointing.

Chef Mickey's - Been there twice. Last time was for breakfast, my thoughts are it's tough to screw up a breakfast buffet. Give me some scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, toast, maybe a pastry and I'm all set. NONE of the food was hot. all lukewarm. After a couple bites it made me kind of sick to even look at the food. I ate nothing. The place was an unholy mess. Food everywhere, the buffet hadn't been straightened and cleaned, areas of the floor were just covered with food.

Le Cellier - They got three strikes from me and they are now out. I don't like sitting an eighth of an inch from my neighbor, though I could put up with it if the food were decent. 2 grisly, fatty steaks and 1 grisly fatty steak sandwich. I was really shocked this place couldn't give me a decent steak. I eat my steaks well done so I am used to eating steaks a little less juicy and charred. I am not, however, used to pulling gristle out of my mouth in every bite.

Boy oh boy. Soooooo many. Our trips to WDW are usually one week in length and we try to do a nice dinner 5 out of 7 nights. We typically end up in the MK during two of those nights, and when we go to the MK, food is a very low priority and we usually do QS for L and D. Fortunately, we have a rotation of about 10 places that keep us satisfied for our nicer meals. While we have dined at almost every restaurant at WDW, there are many, many places that left us with no desire to go back after a couple of tries. Some because of atrocious quality and some because of the Price/Quality ratio. Among these are:
  • 'Ohana
  • Grand Floridian Cafe
  • Narcoosee's
  • Whispering Canyon
  • Akershus
  • Nine Dragons
  • Chefs De France
  • Le Cellier
  • Liberty Tree Tavern
  • CRT
  • Pizza Planet-(what was I even thinking?)
  • Hollywood and Vine
  • Capt'n Jack's
  • Coral Reef

I disagree with this since the restaurant I would not visit again is Marrakesh. I ordered the vegetable couscous, something with veggies and I would assume the herbs and flavors of Morocco. I did not like it since it was bland. I don't care about salt, I am not a huge salt fan, but I did expect it to have the flavors or at least some flavors of Morocco. It did not. I could and have made a more flavorful couscous dish myself.

It also was very skimpy, i.e. five chickpeas for protein on the entire plate. Just overall disappointing.

No, I agree with you. You would expect some level of flavor at a Morocco restaurant. However, not usually from the couscous. Maybe the tabouleh. The couscous salad that comes with the shawarma platter at the Tangierine Cafe has a bit of flavor, but it's not overwhelming. I think that's (again) the problem with saying that WDW is too bland. It has to be. The masses won't eat anything that is remotely flavorful. A vast majority of them probably believe that adventurous dining means bacon on your cheeseburger.

Just returned from yet another wonderful vacation...this time 6 days at WDW and 2 days at USF. I am a huge WDW fan, planner and obsessed w/ the World...so my opinion is biased TOWARD WDW restaurants...

BUT...by comparison to the offsite restaurants, Disney came up short. I have always wondered why my dining at Disney does not taste as good as I expect and assumed I just became saturated with dining out since at home it is a once a week treat.

After 6 days of WDW dining, though, Tchoup Chop at Citywalk clearly stood way above any WDW meals. Even Perkins for breakfast had better flavors than most WDW meals.

The Back Bay lunch (bar and grill at Bonnet Creek) ranked 3rd out of 17 meals with a 8.5 score, beating Be Our Guest dinner by 2 places which ranked 5th with a score of 8.0 in our survey of 5 (3 adults and 2 teen boys).

Now, I am not saying we had any bad meals or bad experiences. All the WDW meals were good and we enjoyed almost all of them, the flavors are just not as great as the hype we see on here.

Here's the complete list of where we dined, by rank, restaurant, which meal, and our score (for those of you who really like the details):

1. Tchoup Chop, dinner, 10.0
2. 50's Prime Time (fried chicken and PBJ shake), lunch, 9.0
3. Back Bay (Bonnet Creek), lunch, 8.5
4. Crystal Palace, dinner, 8.5
5. Be Our Guest, dinner, 8.0
6. Via Napoli, dinner, 7.5
7. T-Rex, lunch, 7.5
8. Sanaa, dinner, 7.5
9. Sci-Fi, dinner, 7.5
10. Beaches n Cream, lunch 7.0
11. Churrascarria, dinner, 7.0
12. Margarittaville, lunch, 7.0
13. Perkins, breakfast, 6.5
14. Plaza, dinner, 6.0
15. Three Broomsticks, lunch 6.0
16. Flame Tree BBQ, lunch 2.0
17. Katsura Grill, lunch 1.5

The only place I've gone and been truly disappointed has been Coral Reef. The restaurant seemed tired and dirty, the food bland and uninspired, and the service disinterested.

From a food and service perspective, CRT breakfast was also disappointing (especially given the price tag). But this is compensated by the experience of walking down an empty Main Street with a pre-park opening ADR, eating in the castle and being visited by princesses, and being able to get a jump start on Fantasyland after the meal.

I don't know where to start because I find Disney food consistently horrible. The worst meal I ever had in Disney was at the ABC Commissary. My elementary school hot lunches were better.

As far as sit-down places go I'll agree with all the Le Cellier comments not because the food was horrible. It was passable. But definitely of a "Boston Market" type quality. I don't get the hype over anything there. The pretzel bread? Seriously? You can get those at the grocery store.

I also think the Wave is downright bad. The food is bland and unmemorable and the atmosphere is mystifying. The waiting area and bar is so cool in terms of the way it's lit up and then you go inside the restaurant and it's like beige, beige, beige. Very boring.

I also thought the old California Grill was super hyped up. Once again, the food was bland and the sushi was grocery store quality.

I usually don't expect too much EXCEPT for the signature restaurants that take 2 DDP credits. I have to say that Wolfgang Puck Dining Hall was a huge disappointment.

Just wondering if anyone was unhappy with a Disney restaurant and would suggest avoiding it. Our last trip to Disney was our first time there and we were very happy with most of the restaurants except for 50's Primetime Cafe. Yuck! The 50's atmosphere of linoleum, formica, and flowery wallpaper is probably really cute to some but my brain just screamed "remodel!" LOL. However, the main problem was the food which was unedible to me. We all left hungry because we couldn't stomach the food and went to get snacks. :)

Are there any others to avoid?

This! I am not going to say I will never ever go back, and I'm glad we tried it, but...yuck! I had the pot roast and it was super dry and my fiance's fried chicken looked disgusting even though he seemed to like it. I felt like I was in a time warp!
This is the only sit down restaurant I dislike (so far).

I think the only place I wouldn't go back to was Hollywood and Vine. We weren't terribly prepared for how loud it was going to be and the food was mediocre. I probably only liked the potatoes. Also we found the service to be the worst we've had, and we weren't expecting much. We had reservations and we still had to wait in the rain for 45 minutes. Our server didn't show up for 15 minutes, then when he did he said he didn't think we were his table and quickly passed us off on someone else. We couldn't get drink refills to save our life and our waitress was near impossible to flag down. We would have been in and out of there in 45 minutes, but instead we were there for nearly two hours because we couldn't get our check. Another bad experience was '50s Primetime Diner, but that was through no fault of the restaurant. My mom has an anxiety disorder and we should have known the heckling at the diner wouldn't be a good idea, but she really wanted to go. We loved the atmosphere as that was why we wanted to go and I really enjoyed our server, Uncle Dale, he was hilarious. My mom had a hard time with it, however, and spent the majority of the meal in the bathroom. Of course when she gathered her courage to come back, he was ragging on her, which only made her panic attacks worse. It's unfortunate because we really would have enjoyed the experience, but we should have known it would set off her anxiety.

Everyone likes different things. I never go by reviews and see for myself, but I will not return to Tusker House for Lunch, the selection was not to our liking. I spent more time trying to find something for DD, that finally a chef made DD chicken strips because she liked nothing else.

Also I will not go to Teppan Edo anymore. It doesn't compare to local Japanese steakhouses. We would rather use our Dining credits elsewhere.

Boatwright's the food was not good at all. We just went their at the beginning of June. I had the gumbo and jambalaya. My wife had the past with shrimp. The jambalaya might have been the worst jambalaya I ever had and the gumbo tasted weird. My wife did not enjoy her pasta with shrimp. We left hungry and got sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich. Much better and cheaper than Boatwright's.

The other restaurants I would not go to are pizza planet and Tonys.

We had a disappointing experience at Sanaa, but I would be willing to give it another try. We found dinner at 'Ohana to be overrated, the food wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as we were expecting. I think I read too many reviews raving about 'Ohana dinner before we went.

Last trip - Biergarten. Food was great, management SUCKED! It was like they had never had a dinner rush before. People were waiting HOURS! Horrid

Electric Umbrella at one point - it was dirty, no decent choices

Was not impressed with La Hacienda. Small portions, rude staff, taste was off.

The Wave. Chef Boyardee quality/taste. Ugly restaurant.

No one has mentioned my never again. I will never go to Tokyo Dining again. My sister and I shared a bento box with salmon as the entrée portion. The sushi was bad and the salmon was REALLY SALTY and tasted strange. We both ended up with food poisoning later that night.

I actually enjoyed Tony's when we went for the first time our last trip. Sci-Fi was also really good.....

Coral Reef...deserts were good but the food was very small for the price...the only thing that saved this place was the fish tank..

Well we eat in Disney at least 2-4 times per month and there are only a few places I wont return.
1 Hollywood and vine dinner but breakfast was good
2. Tony's was awful and my husband will eat anything
3. 1900 Park Fare both dinner and the characters were terrible
4. Chef Mickeys food is horrible but you go there for the characters so unless it is a birthday request we dont eat here for dinner only breakfast.

What shocked me was the hate for Ohana I have never had a bad meal there. I liked LeCellier food but the prices are insane now.

Otherwise it seemed on par for the most part.

Hollywood Brown Derby - pork chop was absolutely RAW in the center. We both lost our appetite real quick after that.

Flying Fish - once was enough.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We wouldn't do crystal palace again. To chaotic. And like a PP I think I was expecting more out of ohana. It wasn't bad. Just not as awesome as I expected. I think we would have enjoyed it more if I had been able to get an earlier ADR and it was earlier in our trip. It was a late ADR and our last night. 2 of our 4 kids fell asleep. One of them ate nothing and we of course still had to pay full price. Lapu Lapu and bread pudding were redeeming points for ohana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter