Which Disney Guide is the Best?

princessnicchia

Mouseketeer
Any opinions as to which Disney guide is the best? We are going in March, and as my DB is tired of me using the computer for my Disney-fix, I thought I would get a guide. Thoughts?:grouphug:

I agree that UG is great for background info & getting your bearings.....but, the dozen HG tip threads will set you free.

All (of these tip threads) should be read multiple times & most should be printed.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483

After the UG & the HG, come back here & post specific questions & you will be the the "DLR Guru" to your DB.

Have fun planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

I used the library so I liked UG and Birnbaum's.

But got more info here, and more real-time info (instead of last year's, assuming you read the most current book) too.

I agree with most of the above.

JMHO, the UG has some good information about hotels and DLR restaurants.

But I did not find their descriptions of the DL and DCA attractions to be useful. In fact, I found them to be harmful. :) I think the descriptions were written by a "worry wart." The descriptions have too many worries, concerns, and complaints--you would think that they were preparing us to climb Mount Everest. :) Also, their descriptions of the attractions are loaded with spoilers. I would skip those chapters, and instead go to www.wdwinfo.com and click on the Disneyland tab and then click on "Theme Parks" (or you can go to the top of this thread and click on "DL Theme Parks"). I think the level of information about the attractions that you will find there is much better than the UG.

I found the touring plans in The Unofficial Guide to be "commando," but that's just my opinion. You might want to find out about Ridemax.com, which the Unofficial Guide conveniently never mentions.

I think the Birnbaum's Guide is helpful. But like bumbershoot wrote, you might be better off borrowing it from the library (the same goes for the UG).

But what's so great about books? :) I agree with the Hound -- check out HydroGuy's sticky near the top of this discussion board ("HydroGuy Tips Compilation"). In many ways, HydroGuy's information about Fastpasses, touring strategies, etc. will be much more helpful than the UG.

HTH. :)

I buy the UG for the touring plans and follow them pretty closely. It's never failed me.

If I'm in need of pictures and excitement-building, I get Birnbaum's.

Bumbershoot is right--the library is a great place to get both. Last year's UG will work this year, as long as you add in the Nemo subs as a first thing in the morning destination on one of your days.

This is the best guide IMHO. Make friends with a Disneyland fanatic and clog their mailbox with questions. Most of us love sharing what we know about the park.

I got the Unofficial Guide last year and it was pretty good, but I learned way more just by reading this board.

But they don't know absolutely everything because they suggested getting a "Fast Pass" for Nemo first thing in the morning and as we all know, Nemo does not have a Fast Pass.

I like the UG for all of the basic information, descriptions and ratings. I like Birnbaums for all the photos.

One caution about using books from the library: The ones at our library were 3+ years out of date, so a lot of the information in them was wrong because so much changes in that timeframe. Just keep that in mind as you read them, then check anything questionable on the DIS. :thumbsup2

I just bought the 2008 UG because it now has restaurant reviews (not included in the 2006 version), as well as touring plans including the latest rides. (We never did get on Nemo last October.) I'm going to give those a go on a trip with DS3 next week! :yay:

As others have said....the 2008 Unofficial Guide is by far the best Disneyland guide I've ever read, and I've read close to all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter