Which? Canon t2i or Nikon D3100 or Nikon D5100

czycropper

DIS Veteran
My DH has an older Canon Rebel which he bought in 2006 and still uses alot BUT since I'm a scrapbooker and take lots, lots & LOTS of photos I really want to get my own DSLR. I've been using point/shoots - an Olympus SP800 & a Nikon CoolPix which I love but it's are also getting old and need a good cleaning.

I've never really been a Canon fan mainly because my very first SLR way back in the olden times (late '70s/early '80s) was a Nikon and I've had lots since :thumbsup2

My DH wants me to get the Canon so that we don't have to buy more lenses :lmao:

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D3100.....PLEASE give me any and all opinions!!!

How much do you already have invested in lenses?

At the end of the day, it has to be the camera you want. Cameras are expensive, and for the most of use it is a decision we have to live with for a while.

Figure out what specifications are important to you and then compare the three bodies against each other.

See if you can visit somewhere nearby(Best Buy, Calumet Photo, B&H, Adorma, etc) that has the cameras so you can actually pick them up. I've got a Calumet Photo near me and I prefer looking there as they actually trust customers and you can pick the camera up without having all the anti-theft things attached on. For me, how the camera feels in my hands is pretty important.

Someone on these boards (can't remember who) stated that the most expensive lens is the one you have to buy twice. I think this applies to camera bodies as well. So if you really want the more expensive body, it's better to just save up for it and get the one you want, rather than buy a lesser one and then have to buy the one you really wanted later.

I just sold my T2i and bought a D5100. I thought the T2i was OK, but the
D5100 just feels that much better to me. I think the body is built better(doesn't feel so plasticy). Kit lens vs kit lens I think the Nikon wins hands down. I just got my D5100 on Saturday. The only difference about bodies is that the T2i felt bigger which can be a good thing for some people. My brother has the D3100 and I shot with his in WDW the first week in May which made me want to switch cameras.

I've never really been a Canon fan mainly because my very first SLR way back in the olden times (late '70s/early '80s) was a Nikon and I've had lots since :thumbsup2

My DH wants me to get the Canon so that we don't have to buy more lenses :lmao:

I'm leaning toward the Nikon D3100.....PLEASE give me any and all opinions!!!

You can actually take excellent pictures with any brand's dSLR camera. So it really doesn't matter whether it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc. Any brand's dSLR camera will take much better pictures than a typical point-and-shoot camera.

I think your husband has a valid point. If your family already has a Canon dSLR and is already invested in a few Canon lenses, then it would be more cost-effective to buy a Canon dSLR for you. He's right in that you can both share lenses. One camera can act as a back-up for another, especially if one of them breaks down.

If you did buy a Nikon dSLR, you'd end up buying Nikon lenses, while your husband buys Canon lenses. What happens when you go to WDW? Do you bring both dSLR cameras and BOTH sets of lenses? :eek:

Or, what if you both get really good and photography, and you both want to start investing in really nice lenses. Let's say your child plays outdoor football at night, and you'd like to buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. You'd have to buy 1 for Canon for $2499 and 1 for Nikon for $2449.

Or, if you both want to take low-light photos at WDW, especially on low-light rides, you'd both be buying a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens at $489 each.

Or, let's say you've saved up enough $$$$ to buy a nice lens. How do you decide whether to buy a Canon lens or a Nikon lens?

Of course, these are just extreme examples. If your husband isn't shooting with anything except the kit lens and if you don't plan on buying anything more than just the Nikon + kit lens (ie. no plans to do anything more with the camera), then *maybe* having both a Nikon & Canon dSLR in the same household *could* work. But if either of you get bitten by the photography bug, things can get pretty expensive, supporting 2 different camera systems.

The previous-poster is right, though. You have to hand-hold these cameras yourself to see which one "fits" you the best (ie. feels best in your hands, has intuitive buttons & menus, etc). Like I said earlier, ANY of these dSLR cameras will give you excellent pictures. Ultimately, the camera you buy has to be one that you're happy with and that "fits" you the best.

In your search do try out the feel of the new Canons. 2006 probably puts you in a Rebel XT or XTi, and they do feel a little different than the newer bodies. I'm not saying go Canon, I'm just saying don't dismiss them because of how an older body feels.

And from experience, you really don't want to have different camera systems if you can avoid it. It really gets to be a pain because you have to choose which system you want to buy a lens for and you end up buying two of some lenses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter