Which camera?

tnd

DIS Veteran
We have two cameras, and I am trying to figure out which one makes more sense for the parks. We have a fairly large, but wonderful, dSLR camera and a very small, but older point and shoot. I'm wondering what other people do. I don't really want to drag the large camera around, but it takes far better pictures. The smaller camera has quite a delay on the shutter and I don't want to miss any good pics.

I'm also concerned about taking the larger camera on rides, and I really wouldn't want to leave it in the stroller. Any ideas or tips would be great. Thanks!

Your fancy camera is probably bigger than mine; I have a Canon S3. But I take it with me everywhere. :) Even if I hadn't lost my point and shoots (both film and digital, can you believe it) shortly after our September Disney trip, I wouldn't take it now that I've experienced such a fast camera.

And no, don't leave anything in the stroller. We had a brand new pirate hat taken out from under an old sweatshirt and other baseball cap (the thief went searching in the basket), and although the CMs made it right (it was purchased that trip), it will taint that trip forever, that someone stole from us. So no, don't leave your camera in the stroller.

I have a purse with padding in it that I used as a camera bag, and it goes across my chest and almost never leaves that position. :)

I have been to DW a number of times. Usually I just take my very small sony digital. It takes good pics, but doesn't do well when shaky or in too low light (so obviously fireworks/light parades). But for other pictures it does really well and it is handy to just point and click.
Last summer I got a Nikon dSLR. I took a solo trip to DW in Nov and decided to bring it a long. While it does take amazing pictures, the types of pictures (I am NOT a pro) I took really came out the same as my smaller camera. The only ones that were better were the night time shots. It was bulky to carry around, but I could handle it on rides (I had it in its case). I rode Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Soarin', and a few other rides with it.

For me, when I go to DL in April I am just going to take my little one. Since I'll only take simple landscape/people pics. If you are going to take fancy, semi-pro pics I would recommend the dSLR.

Good luck.

Thanks to both of you, that really helps. We actually also have a Nikon dSLR too. I am thinking I will pack both and we'll see which works better. My husband is actually a great photographer, so he may prefer the dSLR for better shots. That means I'll make him carry it and I can carry the tiny one in my purse.

I was thinking about the same thing. I think I might try taking my dSLR to the parks at night or if we're going to be seeing indoor shows and use my P&S during the day for outdoor pictures. That way I don't need to carry around the dSLR all day and night too.

This whole topic really depends on how good you want your pictures to turn out. I bought a Nikon D40 for our trip in November and was really pleased with the pictures I took, though I am not a professional photographer.

If it were me I would take both as you have stated, that way you get more photos to look at or uhhh post.

I have a link in my signature of our first day pictures this last November.

I saw lots of people with big cameras. Most of the rides have a pouch in the car so you don't have to worry about leaving it unattended while you're on the rides. Just make sure you have a good case for it and it should be fine. :confused3

Thanks for the information! Garate55 - your photos are great, definitely pushing me toward the dSLR (we have the Nikon D50). We'll bring both cameras and see how they work out logistically. We'll be staying very close by, so dropping the extra one off, or picking it up at night as one of the posters suggested, won't be a big deal.

I'm not really a camera person, but reading through the Birnbaum's guide to DLR, they specifically mention that the California Screamin' ride (in DCA) will likely damage your digital camera. I've never been on the ride, so I don't have firsthand experience to provide to the thread.

I'm not really a camera person, but reading through the Birnbaum's guide to DLR, they specifically mention that the California Screamin' ride (in DCA) will likely damage your digital camera. I've never been on the ride, so I don't have firsthand experience to provide to the thread.

Never had it damage mine. I like to shoot video's during the ride. I always carry the dSLR on days where i know I will be taking pictures of certain things and the P and S on others along with the movie camera. Yet to break anything or get something stolen since I just do not trust people I do not know.

Take lots of pics and have fun.

Jack

I was on this ride in October & video'd the whole thing. There were no issues w/my camera. I always take my purse with me on rides/coasters, and either tuck in under my arm, or put it at my feet & wrap the straps around my foot -- never had a problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter