which camera would you choose?

I have a digipac as well... I like it... don't love it... but it does what it needs to do.

Having espoused the greatness of the Flip... it just prompted me to go buy the waterproof housing for it ($40 on Amazon).

I own a Canon 7D with a bunch of lenses because I am a photographer. I am dying to take it on my upcoming cruise, but I bought a waterproof point and shoot instead. I brought my DSLR on my last cruise and hardly took any pictures because it was a pain to carry around. I am thinking about buying a little DSLR because I miss all the control it has.... lol

I own a Canon 7D with a bunch of lenses because I am a photographer. I am dying to take it on my upcoming cruise, but I bought a waterproof point and shoot instead. I brought my DSLR on my last cruise and hardly took any pictures because it was a pain to carry around. I am thinking about buying a little DSLR because I miss all the control it has.... lol

Check out the Canon Powershot SLX cameras. They are pretty portable and can be point and shoot but they give you a lot more control. You just don't get to change out lenses which means you do lose flexibility. The camera I'm thinking about is the one I bought for my daughter. Canon PowerShot SX130IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD

You can buy it new from Amazon for less than $200, so it isn't a super cheap camera, but for someone who is used to a DLSR, I think you might find it a good alternative. The really nice thing is the lens retracts so the camera can actually fit in your pocket. That was the biggest selling point for me when I bought it. It uses AA batteries which I consider a plus as they are readily available just about anywhere. We purhcase the Lithium batteries and they last a good long time. We could go with the rechargables but haven't.

I found it had nearly all the same "modes" as my Canon Rebel t2i.

From cNet:
Among the many modes are shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and manual options. Available apertures include: f3.4, f4.0, f4.5, f5.0, f5.6, f6.3, f7.1, and f8.0. Availability is dependent on zoom position, though you do get the full range at the wide end. Shutter speeds go from 15 seconds down to 1/2,500 second, which is a better range than most cameras in this class offer.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cam...30-is/4505-6501_7-34167832.html#ixzz1WAJ5heOT

We used to take both a smaller point and shoot that does video and our Canon Rebel - and now we just take the Rebel. We found we didn't take video and the photo quality of the Rebel is just so superior we always used it.

Our iPhone will take short video clips - so that is what my husband uses if he wants a little live action (clearly not great quality). Photos are just more important to documenting a vacation for us. I think it will really come down to what you think you will want in years to come.

Id take both. Usually we have multiple cameras with us. Each of my kids have a underwater camera that are identicle, and my wife and I have identicle dive cameras. I also bring our D3000 and a vid camera with us.

If I know in advance that we are going someplace and want better quality shots, or something that I know will be out of the normal range for a p/s, I use the d3000. If we are out and about Ill carry the point and shoot camera in a cargo pocket, and the vid camera in another. (you never know who or what youll see) The dive camera has video also, but Im quicker with the handheld vid.

For the poster who's looking for a durable point & shoot, look at the underwater ones. They're sealed differently than the regulars and typically are durable when dropped. Each one has a different drop rating. Consider the ones that have a titanium bodies, they've got a very good drop rating.

I just returned this week from spending 15 days in Europe & on one of the DCL Med cruises. I had bought a new 16 GB Compact Flash card for my Canon Rebel XT & was also bringing my old Powershot but at the very last minute (like 2 days before we left) I got the bug to buy a new compact point & shoot. I wanted something smaller, lighter & faster than my old Powershot & something that would hold a bigger SD card (my old Powershot was limited to 2 GB plus it used AA batteries). I ended up purchasing a bundle deal at Best Buy on a Sony Cybershot DSC-H70. The deal included a spare battery, charger, a 4 GB SD card (although I bought a faster 16 GB card too that is what I used) plus a nice case that fit on a belt for about $313 incl. tax (since it was a last minute purchase I felt $300 was my limit). NOTE that I had priced cameras out online & Best Buy had the best price on this camera as it was on sale online and when I went into the store it WAS NOT on sale but they will "price match" their online prices. If you shop at Best Buy always check their prices online first as they're not always the same as in the store.)

Anyway, I found it SOOO convenient & easy to use being on my belt that I never even took my DSLR out ONCE!!:rolleyes1 I chose this particular camera for several reasons. The biggest reason was that it has a 10x zoom starating at 25 mm. Most compact cameras don't offer any where close to that much of zoom and that was super important to me since my normal lens on my DSLR is a 18-200 mm. The 2nd reason I chose this one was because it also had a "panoramic" option which lets you automatically take a panoramic shot without having to stitch photos together. I wanted this for our visits to places like the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the Coliseum and the Pantheon etc. I didn't necessarily think that I needed 16 megapixels but that's what it has. It also does 1080 HD video (but we didn't use that at all). It is very user friendly & for not having used it before got along really good figuring it out on the fly.

I have been uploading pictures to Facebook the past couple of days & so far I am VERY impressed with the picture quality. I have found that I needed to do very little in the way of color corrections (something I always seemed to need to do with my DSLR shots if I used it on automatic). I was a little disappointed in how it handled the fireworks & Spectromagic parade at Disneyland Paris but for the most part I had very few "misses" as it also has image stabilization. We toured a lot of places that did not allow you to use a flash & this camera was a real champ in low light interiors like Notre Dame. I just left the flash off the whole time so I wouldn't forget. I took approx. 1,700 pictures and still had room for more on the 16 GB card. I did find that using the panoramic feature a lot seemed to eat up the battery life faster & I was realllly glad I had the spare battery (since I sometimes took almost 200 shots / day) but I got some really cool pics with that panoramic option. The 10x zoom was especially nice to have too.

As a die-hard Canon fan I can honestly say I am very pleased with my first Sony experience. :goodvibes I didn't miss having that DSLR hanging around my neck all day at all. :rolleyes: I will comtinue to use my DSLR at sporting events because there is no delay but doubt that I'll ever carry it again for just general use. For this trip, bringing the DSLR took up a big chunk of my carry-on allowance as we were very limited with our international flights and had I known I wouldn't even take it out ONCE I would've left it home in a heartbeat.

I haven't really started uploading them to a share site yet but so here's a small sampling of the pics I took on this trip. The colors are vibrant & true for the most part & I haven't done anything to them yet.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This one is from the Pirate Night deck party & I was watching from up on deck 10, near the back of where everything was going on. So this shows the power of the zoom plus the low light & image stabilization quality.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!