Which Bahamas Excursion?

Gizmo74

Mouseketeer
This is our first cruise and my kids are 10 & 12. Yesterday, was the first day that I could book excursions for our trip. I had in my mind to book Atlantis Water Park but after seeing the price $204/person, I am second guessing. My husband and I would not get in the water or use any of the slides (just not our thing). I thought it would be a fun experience for the kids but that is a lot of money and not sure if they would enjoy vs how much it would cost. Kids have never been to a water park and we are not huge water fans.

I started looking at alternatives and my goodness they are all pricey. We would not mind paying for a dolphin encounter for the kids but again, my husband and I wouldn't need to participate. Can I have them go on that excursions and would they let my husband and I tag along but just view and video their experience?

What excursions would you recommend for my family? Our second day is at Castaway so that will be our beach day.

I always recommend the Greycliff Hotel Chocolate Factory Tour. See how chocolate is made in their small factory and then sit down and make your own chocolate creations to take back to the ship with you. You can also visit their own Chocolate Store (and purchase what you like) from which they ship all over the world. No problem getting back on the ship with it. Fun tour for the whole family.

By the way, their chocolate is delicious!

We've done a dolphin excursion on Blue Lagoon and any kids had to have 1 adult with them. I believe the other adult can pay to "watch". It is pretty expensive and we've done a better dolphin excursion elsewhere so unless your kids really want to do it, I'd skip it although the boat ride is nice and I've heard the beach there is nice as well (we didn't have enough time to enjoy it).

We've also done the day pass at the Hilton (when it was less expensive than it is now!) - http://www.resortforaday.com/British-Colonial-Hilton-Day-pass-p/nsnabcha.htm. Food was very good and the pool is beautiful. It's within walking distance of the ship and you can see all the ships from the beach there. I don't think I'd do this if your kids are not big water fans.

Another thing we've done (and enjoyed very much) was this (free!) walking tour - https://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/walking-tours. It gave us a good feel for the town. You'll also pass the Pirate Museum if you want to check that out. Just a note - we never felt unsafe walking.

Many people don't get off the ship for one reason or another but if you've never been to Nassau I recommend at least getting off the ship to see downtown. Just ignore the touts and keep on walking. There is also a way to go to Atlantis that is much cheaper than the Disney excursion but we haven't done it. Hopefully somewhere here can help out. If not, you can Google or check on CruiseCritic.com.

This is our first cruise and my kids are 10 & 12. Yesterday, was the first day that I could book excursions for our trip. I had in my mind to book Atlantis Water Park but after seeing the price $204/person, I am second guessing. My husband and I would not get in the water or use any of the slides (just not our thing). I thought it would be a fun experience for the kids but that is a lot of money and not sure if they would enjoy vs how much it would cost. Kids have never been to a water park and we are not huge water fans.

I started looking at alternatives and my goodness they are all pricey. We would not mind paying for a dolphin encounter for the kids but again, my husband and I wouldn't need to participate. Can I have them go on that excursions and would they let my husband and I tag along but just view and video their experience?

What excursions would you recommend for my family? Our second day is at Castaway so that will be our beach day.
Some excursions may offer a "just watching" option. But many don't. If you want to "come along" you must pay the full cost.

Have you checked into Comfort Suites? They also offer the Atlantis day pass, for a lower cost.

Our kids are a bit younger than yours and we didn't want to spend the money on Atlantis either. We are going to do the Nassau and Junkanoo Discovery tour. Gives us a taste of the city and some history but allows us to have some time on the boat or explore around the port a little bit on our own. I'll probably walk down to the John Watlings distillery for some samples :drinking:

I appreciate everyones suggestions. I was feeling guilty for not wanting to spend the money. Doesn't sound like a dolphin excursion will happen if my husband and I have to pay full price to just watch. Oh well, something for the kids to do once they get older.

I feel like we have to get off the boat since none of us has ever been to the Bahamas. Have to buy the T-Shirt. :-)

I will look into the chocolate tour and maybe the walking tour.

Following along because my boys will be the same ages when we go on our first cruise in February, and I have the same questions. I would definitely get in the water with them for anything, but I am not sure about my wife (it may depend on what it is). Just looking to see who had great experiences at any of the port excursions.

This is why we stayed on the ship. With five of us it would be an over $1,000 water park visit! Just not worth it.

Blue lagoon dolphin encounter has an option to pay a lower price to be an "observer" while your kids do the encounter. It is still not cheap but much better than Atlantis, and it says that if you are on the morning excursion you can stay and use the beach there after. I haven't done it, but it has been something I considered before decided I'd just be happier staying on the ship anyway.

We did the dolphin encounter on our honeymoon. Back then, they served lunch, and it was included in the price. We did the morning encounter, had lunch, and stayed on the beach for part of the afternoon. Then we headed back on the ferry. It was nice.

On our last cruise, we booked the dolphin encounter again - this time with our 7.5 year old daughter. We paid for 3 of us to do the encounter. But there is an "observer" option that you can book. I don't know the restrictions on being the observer or on the ages at which kids can participate without an adult. I don't see 10 and 12 being a big deal. You just kneel on a ledge in the water and interact with the dolphin. It's totally tame and safe. Observers stay up on the deck/walkway and aren't allowed down by the encounter area (you're not going to get great photos from where they make you stay).

Lunch was no longer included with the encounter package. We brought some snacks from home and some from the ship (chips, Uncrustables in their packaging). Unfortunately, it was a rainy day. I went with my daughter to the beach for a little, but it wasn't your typical beach experience with all the rain. We hopped on the first ferry out of there. Thankfully, Cabanas was still open for lunch (past 2:00).

I've heard people talk about a Pirate Museum within walking distance of the ship. Your kids sound like a good age for that if it's something they would be interested in seeing.

I know it looks like an amazing water park, but I can't justify the costs on our budget. We spend time on the boat on those short cruises. Plenty to do there, and I've already paid for it!

If there still is the Junkanoo and fort excursion,that was very fun for not much money and I thinks your kids would enjoy it.

I second the Graycliff Chocolate Factory. We are not water people (ironic since we love to cruise). So the chocolate factory was a really fun alternative, and you come away with your very own candy bar that you made yourself. Plus, the price is reasonable as far as excursions go. It’s also a very short ride on a bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!