Which 3 of the 4 light Shows?

Moxiepup

Mouseketeer
When I was originally making plans, there were three nighttime light shows. Now, with the opening of ROL, there are four, but we most likely will only have time allotted for three. Now to decide which three to see...

We're arriving Sunday, April 23rd., and checking out April 28th. We were originally going to catch Fantasmic on Monday, after an ADR at 50's Prime time. Tuesday night is booked for the later Spirit of Aloha show, so no light show that night. Wednesday is for Wishes at MK, and Thursday was going to be for Illuminations at Epcot, after an ADR at Biergarten. Now I'm wondering if we should try to work ROL into the mix somehow? We'll be using the Express transport, so park hopping should be relatively easy, but we still might have to shift ADR's around to make it all work.

There's a chance we may add a day to our ticket package for Sunday, assuming all goes well with our flight. It's supposed to get in mid morning. I hesitate to add the tickets ahead of time though, as I had bad luck with a delayed flight last summer. We were thinking if we could have our bags checked into the resort by early-mid afternoon, then we'd hit the parks. Originally we were thinking Epcot, as we wouldn't have any ADRs for that day and we could just nibble our way around the Nations.

So, basically I'm asking- if you had to pick three of the four shows to see at night, which three would you choose? The only one that is set in stone is Wishes. We haven't been to the park in 17 years, so it will be our first time for that!

Decide around march 17th when april hours adjust. Right now who knows when the shows will happen or if express is possible.

I also find illuminations and fantasmic boring, star wars, wishes and rol would be my choice.

I also find illuminations and fantasmic boring, star wars, wishes and rol would be my choice.

WOW - I totally agree with you Accident. That will be my choices when I go in May, except for the new version at MK.

Fantasmic is dated and doesnt have the wow factor anymore for us so not on our schedule at all this coming trip

Fantasmic did not wow us at all and we think it is the worst park to exit from in the evening.

Reactions: fbb

I agree with others who are saying Illuminations is boring. I like the fireworks at the end of it, but dang, watching the big ball just creep along the lake is tiresome. I feel like the show used to be a lot better.

We love F! (the music and the ending get me all goose bumpy)and don't care at all for Illuminations. Our May trip has been a little tougher to plan because of the night shows also. Out of 7 nights I only have 2 without a night time show and that's not including Illuminations (Wishes, ROL, F!, SW, and the new HEA fireworks at MK).

Totally depends on your preferences. Illuminations is my favorite and I don't care for Fantasmic. On the other hand, DH loves Fantasmic, and we haven't seen the Star Wars fireworks yet as well as Rivers of Light. Besides that, it will be your last chance to see Wishes before it ends for good.

If I were you, I'd actually skip RoL this trip. It doesn't have the same wow as the other shows, and Pandora isn't open yet, so it's kind of a waste of a night unless you really love AK.

Rabbit trail alert - Fantasmic! in DLR is the best show of all of them, IMO, but the one in DHS just doesn't do it for me. I think, for me, its because in DLR I really feel like the bad guys have taken over the park (kind of Kingdom Keepers-ish), and Mickey is trying to save it. But when there's a whole arena set up for it, it just seems contrived/staged, so it loses its "realness" for me. Granted, there's a bit of nostalgia as well because the first time I took my wife, she had never been to Disney at all, and we were in DLR, and of course, I'd grown up going so it was fun sharing my memories. But I recall after the day, and the Fantasmic! finale, she looked at me and said, "no wonder so many people are so in love with that mouse!!". I just smiled and nodded. :love2:

I'd leave out Illuminations... we leave it out just about every trip. Just bored by it.

Order of priority for us:
  1. Wishes
  2. SW Fireworks
  3. RoL (because it will be new to us... let's see how it fares in our plans NEXT trip after we see it once... :rolleyes:)
  4. F!
  5. Illuminations

I guess I'm in the minority here...Illuminations is the one I would not miss. I've got a similar situation next trip with 3 nights open for shows. I think I'm going with Illuminations, Star Wars and Rivers of Light (because I haven't seen it).

Haha, well that made it easy didn't it?

Really depends on you. You say you haven't been in 17 years ....
- Wishes is about to end, it's magical around the castle, I would not miss it (and that from someone ready for it to go).
- Illuminations is not my favorite, but it's different, it's not traditional, it's not difficult to see with a good view. Great for non-regulars.
- ROL, I have yet to see, not sure I will be wow'd based on reports but it sounds visually stunning. BUT I would not go unless I get a FP+ or Dining Package.
- Fantasmic, so ready to be redone but it's UBER DISNEY so if that appeals to you ... at least it comes with a seat.
- SW ... don't have to be a fan but helps, good central location to watch is critical for real impact. Get there early.

Another one who doesn't care for Illuminations, we use that time to walk around, it's just boring to me. I love wishes and since its going away soon, you might want to hit that. I'm o.k. with Fantasmic but wouldn't go out of my way to see it. ROL is an unknown right now so hmmmm? I was o.k. with the Star Wars show but I'm short, got there plenty early to get a prime place (twice) and both times a couple of really tall men crammed in front of me about 5 min. before the start. I was only able to lean out and see one side of the show so not so great for me.

Decide around march 17th when april hours adjust. Right now who knows when the shows will happen or if express is possible.

I thought I was the only one who was not thrilled with illuminations and fantasmic :rotfl:
Now Star Wars firework show is probably the best I have seen.
I was amazed at the SW fireworks show this past June.
Wishes is also awesome and my second favorite.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses!
It looks like most folks are in favor of leaving out Illuminations. Ironic, because that is the one show we might have been positioned to see twice!

So now, if we want to see ROL, we'd either spend Sunday afternoon at Epcot and head over to AK sometime in the evening, in which case, what time should we head over to get a decent seat? We'd be using the express service...

Or

Go on Thursday evening, which is planned right now to be our Epcot day. We currently have an ADR at Biergarten for 6:45. If we were to move it, how early should we move it to? Assuming we can move it all, in order to leave enough time to get to AK?

Thanks again for all your help!

Obviously a lot of varied opinions here. I like Illuminations. The globe part is a little boring, but otherwise, I really enjoy it.

I didn't even know about ROL. Going in 2 weeks and it looks like ROL is not available the day we are there but it is playing the day before and the day after. Bummer! I wonder why that is? There is the Tree of Life Awakening show but it doesn't look as good as ROL. Looking forward to Star Wars as well. That will be a first for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter