Where's the best place to buy eyeglasses?

floridascgirl

DIS Veteran
My Dh and I both found out today that we need glasses. The doctor called it "40itis". :lmao:

Anyway, DH is slightly nearsighted and I need them for reading and night driving. I can't decide if I should make the jump to bi-focals (or progressive) or just stick to over-the-counter readers and get the prescription filled for only the night driving portion .

For those of you who wear glasses, where do you recommend we shop that's not going to be a budget buster and where they are good at helping you pick out attractive frames?
Thanks!

Zenni.com! I have had luck with the $15 glasses. They hold up well! Can't beat the price. I have 5 pairs plus sunglasses for less than one pair elsewhere.

I also love Zenni... but just pay attention, because not all frames can be used for progressive lenses.... between my DH and I we have bought about 13 pairs from there!

Personally I think glasses are something you need to try on. I've always used LensCrafters. They have a 30% AAA discount but often have specials that are better than that. I wear my glasses every day and usually go a few years before replacing so it comes out to about 25 cents a day. I also get prescription sun glasses that I wear every sunny day which might up their cost to about 40 cents a day.

I bought glasses and sunglasses for me the other day plus sunglasses for DD and all 3 pairs cost a little over $600.

I think that we'll start off at Costco so that we can try on the frames and see what looks best. Zenni seems like a great option for those who already know what style they want.
Thanks for the help everyone. I just love the DIS! :goodvibes

Just FYI- there are little numbers on the inside of your frame that indicate the width, height of lenses, and width of bridge. Match those as closely as you can when choosing glasses on Zenni and they will be the right size for your face. I usually order at least 3 for under $50 and I will love 2 of them and dislike the looks of one. Still a deal! And FWIW I have never had a prescription problem, only a frame choice I didn't completely love.

We also have been using Zenni for years with no problems. Recommended them to tons of people who also love them. :thumbsup2

Unless you are going to be driving and reading a book I would get two separate pair of glasses. I don't need to make a fashion statement while driving so I would recommend a pair of inexpensive perscription night driving glasses for each car you own rather than trying to remember to bring them to the car.

As long as you don't pick out Prada frames you should be able to buy two pairs fairly inexpensively.

My Dh and I both found out today that we need glasses. The doctor called it "40itis". :lmao:

Anyway, DH is slightly nearsighted and I need them for reading and night driving. I can't decide if I should make the jump to bi-focals (or progressive) or just stick to over-the-counter readers and get the prescription filled for only the night driving portion .

For those of you who wear glasses, where do you recommend we shop that's not going to be a budget buster and where they are good at helping you pick out attractive frames?
Thanks!

Costco! I've used zenni optical too, but for the opportunity to try on the frames- go to costco. I got glasses for under $100.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter