where to stay on the road to port canaveral

kirby1777

Earning My Ears
Hi all we are booked on the April 2009 Tortola cruise and will be driving down from Ohio. I know that we can't board the Magic until after 1:00, so where is the best place to stay about 3-4 hours out from the cape.

I will have 4 adults and 1 infant total. Leaving 2 adults and infant behind visiting with in-laws.

Thanks

Kirby

I could not tell you anywhere specifically.

Our top three stayover hotels are Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, and Fairfield Inn. You should be able to find one of those just about anywhere. All have pretty good to excellent breakfasts, nice beds, and I always feel so rested after driving a long time, then sleeping over at one of those.

As far as specific towns.............I am not sure if you are coming down I-75 or I-95. If I-75, I'd say Valdosta, GA is closer to 4 hours, Gainesville, FL, closer to 3. On I-95, Savannah is a good 5 hour drive. Jacksonville would probably be closer to 3.

We drive down twice a year from MI. We prefer 75. 95 is more scenic, but 75 is so much easier, straight shot. We stop every time in Valdosta, it has everything. Approx 3 hours to WDW, 4 to PC. We prefer the Courtyard (Marriott) but there are plenty of choices. Breakfast is always at the Cracker Barrel. Have had the same great waitress every year for 4 years now! A good book tp have is "Interstate 75". It has all restaurants, rest areas, hotels etc (speed traps) plus historical and interesting facts about the drive. A fellow DISer recommended it 4 years ago when we moved here and it is great!

Not sure if this will change your plans at all but boarding USUALLY (not always) but usually begins about 11:45 or so. You would not be able to get into your cabin until 1:30 ish but could board earlier and have a great lunch onboard. Terminal opens at 10:00 to start checkin process.

Have a safe drive!!

Here's another vote for Titletown, USA (as voted on ESPN), Valdosta, GA on I-75, based upon its distance from Port Canaveral. There was a failry new Hampton Inn and Conference Center, and I've also had a few meals in the Cracker Barrel. For a road-side stopover, Valdosta will do just fine. Somewhere aroudn 4 hours left to the port from there. If you can get farther down I-75, Ocala is really the next target. I've sometimes cut over from I-75 to I-10 and then taken 295 to 95 in Jacksonville, and from Orange Park, on 295, its under 2 1/2 hours to the port and 95 is a nice drive in that area (compared to that running the gauntlet closed-in feeling on 95 through downtown Jacksonville, or later in South Florida). So if traveling from Ohio, Jacksonville is probably not on your radar. Go for Valdosta, with Ocala the next location, but Ocala might be too far for your driving comfort depending on your personal preference for daily driving mileage. I call it quits after 500 miles or so, personally, ever since one (and only one) non-stop drive from Port Everglades home, 660 miles, ugh!

We have stopped in Valdosta, GA before and Loved the County Inn and Suites there. It was a great hotel in a great location right off of I-75. There are plenty of restaurants there and it is a nice stopping point. We have decided to drive straight through the night and land in a family suite at All-Star Music the night before we set sail! :banana: Enjoy your trip!!

Ocala is not too far away on I-75. North of Orlando and south of Gainesville. Lots of hotels in the area. Gainesville is another option. Cute college town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter