Where to spend US$ in UK/EU Paypal account

fitnessmouse

DIS Veteran
As the question comes up regularly I thought it would be good to have a thread on where one can spend the US$ they have in their foreign Paypal account.
If possible I switch the currency on the website to us$

So far I have tried and succeeded:
get Disney gift cards on US shopdisney.com to pay for DVC dues or anything Disney
Hotels.com / Expedia.com (I think that also includes Viator.com but haven't tried)
Aliexpress

Tried and failed, because they only take US Paypal:
Staples.com
Dickssportinggoods.com
shutterfly.com

I also bought a giftcard through topcashback.com giftcards, but somehow it converted back to € and charged my bankaccount, instead of taking it from the $ funds.

What have you all tried?

This is a very stupid question but why would I have dollars in my UK Paypal account and why couldn't I just put it in my bank account. Genuine question.

This is a very stupid question but why would I have dollars in my UK Paypal account and why couldn't I just put it in my bank account. Genuine question.
When you rent DVC points and get paid in US $ and your bank account is in a different currency (€ or £). And paypal takes an enormous cut in exchange fees

Also, what would happen if I transferred it into my US bank account? Would the IRS come after me?

Aha! Thank you. I've never rented my points out before and was considering using David's to do so. This is really helpful info

Aha! Thank you. I've never rented my points out before and was considering using David's to do so. This is really helpful info
I avoided PayPal with David’s rental this time. I wanted to book a cruise and they used my rental to pay for it. Avoiding PayPal. Their a TA do might be an option as they do other things.

When I went to book my Virgin Atlantic tickets this year, I noticed that I could pay via Paypal. Does anyone know if I could have used my US Paypal account to pay?

Also, what would happen if I transferred it into my US bank account? Would the IRS come after me?

Depends on how much US income you have and where you rent points from.
You don’t have to declare US income to the IRS if it is below roughly $14k.
If you are based in the U.K. you may have to declare income to HMRC, again depends on how much after costs are taken into account. There was an allowance of around £1000 you are allowed to have before you make any declaration.
If you rent points through a company based in Canada the IRS would not be aware of any income.

As the question comes up regularly I thought it would be good to have a thread on where one can spend the US$ they have in their foreign Paypal account.

get Disney gift cards on US shopdisney.com to pay for DVC dues or anything Disney
Hotels.com / Expedia.com (I think that also includes Viator.com but haven't tried)
Aliexpress

Staples.com
Dickssportinggoods.com
shutterfly.com

I also bought a giftcard through topcashback.com giftcards, but somehow it converted back to € and charged my bankaccount, instead of taking it from the $ funds.

What have you all tried?
You can pay for your ESTAs using PayPal. Not much, but still worth doing if there are a few in the family. Touring Plans also accepts PayPal payments.

Aliexpress

Staples.com
Dickssportinggoods.com
shutterfly.com

What have you all tried?
You can pay for your ESTAs using PayPal. Not much, but still worth doing if there are a few in the family. Touring Plans also accepts PayPal payments.

Here is a list I’ve found of online US stores that will also accept PayPal. Useful if you can get something delivered whilst on site (save for the $6 resort package handling fee 😩)

https://www.finder.com/buy-now-pay-later/paypal-store-list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter