where to buy small business liability insurance?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by chalex, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. chalex

    chalex Mouseketeer

    Sep 21, 2005
    I know several people on the boards have their own business.

    We have a 1 man handyman/minor remodelling business for a couple of years, which is doing really well but we are now starting to be offered major home repairs.

    We do not have any liability insurance to cover us against claims form our clients and feel we need some to protect our home and family?

    Can anybody recommend some good companiesor point me to where I should start looking?

    Thanks, Angie
  2. rainy~daze

    rainy~daze I love spring! Flowers grow in the spring:)~Autumn

    May 7, 2006
    what state are you located in? you can always check with your state department of insurance to see who they might recommend or your city's chamber of commerce. we had gone through our regular insurance company and they did not do liability insurance, so they referred us to a smaller insurance firm that does. they have been able to do our liability insurance and for some big pieces of equipment we have also, plus helped us get our commercial auto policy.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. Feralpeg

    Feralpeg Living and Loving Windermere!

    Dec 29, 2000
    I purchased mine through Hartford.
  5. poptoone

    poptoone DIS Veteran

    Aug 2, 2006
    I use Erie Insurance - they are only sold thru independent insurance reps

    Good rate and easy claim service!
  6. mrsstats

    mrsstats <font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a

    Jan 21, 2001
    Contact an independent insurance agent. They deal with more than 1 company and can "shop" your insurance for the best price.
  7. StephMK

    StephMK DIS Veteran

    Mar 22, 2004
    Erie can have very good rates. Otherwise, look around or in your phone book for insurance agents & find one that is independent. They will be able to shop your coverage to different carriers & find the best package for you. Ask them who they will market it to & you might want to contact more than one. They don't all necessarily have the same carriers available. Nationwide used to have good policies for certain businesses, it definitely pays to shop around.

    In addition to liability, you need to have work comp or a good disability policy to protect the worker in event of an accident. That coverage depends on your state & some personal disability policy exclude work events so just make sure to verify what the coverage includes.
  8. kellydizfan

    kellydizfan DIS Veteran

    Aug 7, 2004
    If you work in NY - insurance will be hard to come by without paying thru the nose. If you are in NY try the independent agent - Utica First, Merchants does handyman and there might be a couple of others - National Grange or Erie Niagra. Don't know about any other states.

Share This Page