Where to buy and how many points?

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
I’ve been following the blogs and contemplating buying for the past couples years. Now we’re getting serious about buying. We’ve decided it’s for us. We go to WDW every 12-18 months. We want 1 and 2-bed villas on property. We’ll pay cash for the resale contract. We can afford annual MFs. We can plan 7+ months in advance, but want the flexibility of owning points, not renting and being locked into a reservation. We’ve settled on Dec as our ideal UY for traveling Dec, Jan, spring break, and summer.

Which resort to buy though? We like the themeing at OKW and proximity to DS. Also, the two real beds in the studios is a plus, which we would likely use for shorter trips when it’s just our family of 4. We like the themeing at AKV as well, and proximity to AK (my favorite park). And we have young kids so the pool/splash area at AKV is a plus. We also like hanging out on the boardwalk area and would love to stay at BWV. So, where do we buy? I’m leaning towards AKV for the longer contract and for 11-month booking window in Dec. OKW extended is tempting as well, but I know those resale contracts are harder to find and there is some uncertainty about what will happen when the first batch of OKW contracts expires. But since we don’t plan to book the high-demand studios, SSR is another option to get cheaper points and lower MFs to use for “sleeping around” in 1 and 2-bed villas. But with the recent restrictions on resale, I’m concerned the 7-month window might get more competitive. We would be fine staying at SSR, but we would rather stay elsewhere. I can’t really justify the higher point cost and shorter contract length for BWV, so that one is out. So, which resort?

Finally, how many points? 200 would be perfect for an annual week-long early summer trip in a 1-bed. And when we space out to 18-months between some trips, that gives us an extra 100 or so points to work with for a higher point holiday trip using banking and borrowing. Some holiday trips would be the week before Christmas, so <200 points for an OKW or AKV 2-bed. Other years we would travel week of New Years, so >300 points for a 2-bed. But I’m guessing we’ll want to add on at some point. So, should we start out with the full 200? Or 150-160 to get our feet wet with the intention of buying another 100 or so at a different resort down the road? So many decisions...

Sounds like you've done good research and taken the time to think it over. My advice would be to go for the 200 points now- one of the most common themes on this board is "I wish I bought more to begin with". Finding the right sized add-on with the same use year and paying closing costs twice isn't fun. You could always rent out some of your points if you're not ready to use them all yet.

The two real beds in OKW studios are great, but it's generally easy to get a studio at OKW any time of year even if you don't own there. Personally I would go with AKV since the 11 month window is more valuable there and the contract is longer. I also don't love the internal resort bus loop at OKW, though they do have awesome villas and beautiful grounds.

Last edited:
Reading this it sounds like your heart is in AKV with a toe in on 150 points and monitor from there....

You've clearly done your homework, so I would just let it marinate and see what you keep coming back to. The heart knows what the heart wants.

FWIW, you may find it easier to find a 160 at AKV. It was the minimum buy-in at inception and I see a bunch of 160 contracts go by.
I have noticed a lot of 160 point AKV contracts but didn’t know why that was such a popular number. Now that makes sense.

Another thing to note- if you do decide to buy 150 points at one resort and 100 at another you should plan to use those contracts totally independently if you can (i.e. bank the points and use each contract every other year). Trying to book a trip using points from two separate memberships is a pain.

I have noticed a lot of 160 point AKV contracts but didn’t know why that was such a popular number. Now that makes sense.

Yeah. Gives you an idea of why everyone eye rolls a bit about the 50 minimums and the shift to studio demand. minimum buy at OKW inception was 230. AKV was 160. And we've been racing down down down.

OKW and AKV can pretty easily be booked at 7 months...so I would give more thought to BWV. And if you own at BWV, you can get standard view sometimes and save points. That kind of makes up for shorter contract life. Now if you want HH section of OKW or a 3BR GV, then owning there might be a plus. Same if you want value or club level at AKV.

150 is a good start and up to 350 is good total to aim for. We started with 200 OKW in 2006 and then in 2007 we hit a snag, long story, and wanted to sell some of our points (wanted to keep about 100) but you cannot break up contracts and have to sell them whole. We ended up keeping them and MIL/FIL pay to use half. But ever since then, in 2012 when we began to add more points, we went with smaller contracts as they are easier to resell. So if I were to go back I'd buy 100-150 to start. And I would not buy OKW as it is bottom of our list on where to stay. We now also have 255 BWV (in 4 small contracts) and 70 CCV and 125 HHI(in 3 small contracts). We had 100 AKV but resold them because we can always book AKV with our OKW. We bought for $65pp and resold for $80pp about 3 years later.

So I suggest buying smaller and adding on. I suggest multiple resorts too and I suggest buying resorts you want to stay at (or wouldn't mind being forced to only stay there if it ever comes to that). I also suggest buying all the same UY (we have 2 and that's been a pain....long topic there, for another thread).

Yeah. Gives you an idea of why everyone eye rolls a bit about the 50 minimums and the shift to studio demand. minimum buy at OKW inception was 230. AKV was 160. And we've been racing down down down.
And the cost has gone up up up. I so wish we had been in the position to buy a couple years ago. My spread sheets still tell me buying is worth it, but I miss seeing those $85/point AKV contracts I was finding then.

So I suggest buying smaller and adding on. I suggest multiple resorts too and I suggest buying resorts you want to stay at (or wouldn't mind being forced to only stay there if it ever comes to that). I also suggest buying all the same UY (we have 2 and that's been a pain....long topic there, for another thread).
Thank you for the advice! You’ve definitely given me a lot to think about. I am now leaning towards the smaller 160pt AKV contract, with the intention of adding on elsewhere down the road.

I went with AKV and I’m glad I did. Never had anyone ask why we weren’t staying at SSR though the ingrates have asked when we are going to stay at BLT and BWV. The price difference between AKV and OKW and SSR is small enough that I don’t think it is much of a factor in the decision and all 3 seem to have good availability. I started with a 160 pt contract planning on using it for studios or 1 bedrooms at least once a year. For me it turns out every time I book a trip a bunch of hangers on come out of the woodwork and I end up with a 2 bedroom... and of course what’s the point of staying at AKV if they can’t hang out on the balcony and watch the giraffes eat in the morning and afternoon... I guess I’m saying since you mentioned 2 bedrooms I’d go with 200 over 160. 6 night trips in 2 bedroom savanah view when we go seem to come in at 230-250 pts. Or you can go the same route I did and just get another 160 pt contract again next year!

I went with AKV and I’m glad I did. Never had anyone ask why we weren’t staying at SSR though the ingrates have asked when we are going to stay at BLT and BWV. The price difference between AKV and OKW and SSR is small enough that I don’t think it is much of a factor in the decision and all 3 seem to have good availability. I started with a 160 pt contract planning on using it for studios or 1 bedrooms at least once a year. For me it turns out every time I book a trip a bunch of hangers on come out of the woodwork and I end up with a 2 bedroom... and of course what’s the point of staying at AKV if they can’t hang out on the balcony and watch the giraffes eat in the morning and afternoon... I guess I’m saying since you mentioned 2 bedrooms I’d go with 200 over 160. 6 night trips in 2 bedroom savanah view when we go seem to come in at 230-250 pts. Or you can go the same route I did and just get another 160 pt contract again next year!
Great points! The AKV dues concern me more than the price per point, but I do think we’ll start with an AKV contract and go from there.

We own at AKV as well. Great resort. Plus if you have points there you have a shot at the value rooms which to me make a huge difference in the overall cost of a trip. We try to line up a value studio at 11 months and then have tended to drop part of it at 7 months for something else. We did this for our last Oct trip. We had 15 nights and dropped the first week at the seven month window for a LV BLT studio. Having the value studio really averaged out the full point total nicely for that trip... Doing the same thing for an upcoming summer trip. Picked up 7 nights in a standard studio at GF and again finish the trip in a value studio at AKV. You have to be quick at the 11 month window and be flexible in your dates but it is an option to potentially get those value rooms if you own there :-) I agree with your comment about the MF/T costs as they are getting up there at AKV but 1. the resort really is beautiful and 2. those value studios can really help stretch your stays at a much more reasonable overall cost compared to higher point rooms... I would personally vote for the 200 points and there are a number of those contracts available right now for not bad prices. I would suggest to negotiate and not be afraid to lose 1-2 in ROFR. Good luck!

We own at AKV as well. Great resort. Plus if you have points there you have a shot at the value rooms which to me make a huge difference in the overall cost of a trip. We try to line up a value studio at 11 months and then have tended to drop part of it at 7 months for something else. We did this for our last Oct trip. We had 15 nights and dropped the first week at the seven month window for a LV BLT studio. Having the value studio really averaged out the full point total nicely for that trip... Doing the same thing for an upcoming summer trip. Picked up 7 nights in a standard studio at GF and again finish the trip in a value studio at AKV. You have to be quick at the 11 month window and be flexible in your dates but it is an option to potentially get those value rooms if you own there :-) I agree with your comment about the MF/T costs as they are getting up there at AKV but 1. the resort really is beautiful and 2. those value studios can really help stretch your stays at a much more reasonable overall cost compared to higher point rooms... I would personally vote for the 200 points and there are a number of those contracts available right now for not bad prices. I would suggest to negotiate and not be afraid to lose 1-2 in ROFR. Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback!

Great points! The AKV dues concern me more than the price per point, but I do think we’ll start with an AKV contract and go from there.

The 2019 dues increase was pretty hefty compared to previous years I think. It's kind of surprising AKV isn't higher. We must not have to pay for feeding the animals I guess.

The 2019 dues increase was pretty hefty compared to previous years I think. It's kind of surprising AKV isn't higher. We must not have to pay for feeding the animals I guess.

It is odd that CCV/BRV have essentially the same dues as AKV and OKW is only 2.8% less. You'd think AKV would be comfortably more than those three, maybe the fact that it's so massive offsets some of that.

It is odd that CCV/BRV have essentially the same dues as AKV and OKW is only 2.8% less. You'd think AKV would be comfortably more than those three, maybe the fact that it's so massive offsets some of that.
My understanding is some of it has to do with Tax Breaks why CCV was higher initially (more comparable after 2019 dues came out). For example since CCV is inside the Lodge building my understanding is Tax was a lot higher for it because it didn't have the full Tax Break like other DVC resorts that have Tax Breaks still (since they were new buildings).

We're a family of 5 and have 250 points at AKV which we bought resale in 2012. It's a great resort esp. with kids. Kidani pool is great, fun water slide, the splash area for younger kids is great for, well, younger kids. Great resort dining as well.

An often overlooked feature is that there's a community hall as well (which OKW has too).

We're a family of 5 and have 250 points at AKV which we bought resale in 2012. It's a great resort esp. with kids. Kidani pool is great, fun water slide, the splash area for younger kids is great for, well, younger kids. Great resort dining as well.

An often overlooked feature is that there's a community hall as well (which OKW has too).
Thanks for the recommendation! You don’t feel too “remote” staying there, not having quick access to the BW or DS? I know there are buses and restaurants and all that, so of course you’re not really that far away. Just curious what a longer stay there feels like.

Thanks for the recommendation! You don’t feel too “remote” staying there, not having quick access to the BW or DS? I know there are buses and restaurants and all that, so of course you’re not really that far away. Just curious what a longer stay there feels like.

We have spent a couple of weeks there at a time and certainly did not feel like we were missing anything like that. We have tended to feel like it is a real destination in and of itself and we like that it is a little removed. Really though I think the bus distance comments are sometimes a little overblown. I don't find them too bad. Your really close to AK and pretty close to HS and Epcot. Even the ride to MK is not too bad. I guess it's just preferences and priorities. I would take the bus over park walk access to have a resort on an actual Savannah but I know others love being able to walk back to their resort after a long park day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!