Where the magic is real, all for half the price of theme park vacations...

PortMickey

WDW & DCL fan
Princess Cruise Lines takes aim at the high cost of Theme Park Vacations:

Dreaming of a Summer Vacation? We've got Mountains, Animal Kingdoms, Wilderness Lodges, Trains, Riverboats, Main streets, and Fireworks. Where the magic is REAL, and half the price of Theme park vacations...

Cute ad...and they have a point ;)

Last edited:

Oh wow, well done, with all the references to WDW/Disney... well done, Princess!

This ad is so funny but it looks expensive to me.
If I go for the cheapest Alaska 7-day option, in the cheapest room for 4 guests. I get quoted a little under $2.400, including food and onboard entertainment. Then the only minimum extras are your tips. I guess, I am not an expert on Princess cruises.

If I go for the cheapest Alaska 7-day option, in the cheapest room for 4 guests. I get quoted a little under $2.400, including food and onboard entertainment. Then the only minimum extras are your tips. I guess, I am not an expert on Princess cruises.
Wow, this is a very good price.

This ad is fantastic. Not ready to fly across the country with our 3yo yet, but we are taking our first cruise with the kids (6 and 3) this summer (Disney Wish). We have sailed princess pre-kids and it was a great experience.

Its called Comparative Advertising

Comparative advertising is a marketing strategy in which a company's product or service is presented as superior when compared to a competitor's. A comparative advertising campaign may involve printing a side-by-side comparison of the features of a company's products next to those of its competitor. It may also feature a comparison based on value or cost. Typically, the competing product is shown in a disparaging light.

This type of advertising is popular with companies releasing new products, as the focus of the ad will be on how the new product is better than products already on the market.

Another highly-referenced comparative advertising campaign is between competitors Coca-Cola and Pepsi, in which advertisements will directly compare the tastes or benefits of one over the other. For example, the now-famous Pepsi Challenge is a recurring commercial that has been aired since 1975. In the Pepsi Challenge, PepsiCo runs taste tests on the street where consumers vote which taste they like better. Both companies are specifically mentioned and compared.

Rules Around Comparative Advertising

In the United States, companies may not engage in comparative advertising without being able to back up the claims that they make. They must be able to prove their assertions of better quality, greater popularity, better value, and the like with facts, and may not engage in false statements or imagery that disparage a competitor. Such rules were set by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in 1979 in its Statement of Policy Regarding Comparative Advertising, which states: "comparative advertising is defined as advertising that compares alternative brands on objectively measurable attributes or price, and identifies the alternative brand by name, illustration, or other distinctive information."

Other countries have adopted definitions and rules governing comparative advertising, though each country treats the topic somewhat differently. In the United Kingdom, any comparison that utilized a competitor's trademark was considered infringement. In Australia, there are no laws that specifically address comparative advertising, but there are standards based on legal precedent.

Comparative Advertising Methods

A common tactic for comparative advertising is the use of a fake product that represents a competitor. Ad viewers will associate the fake product with a competitor's product but since there is no precise comparison or trademark used, it satisfies FTC rules. Another tactic is the use of an ad parody that viewers will associate with a competitor but does not reference them or their product directly.

Sometimes, comparisons may not work as intended, as they can raise awareness among consumers of the product the advertiser's product is competing against. In effect, it acts as free advertising — especially if the difference between products is not significant enough in the eye of the consumer.

Unfortunately we can’t do cruises because DH gets motion sick and doesn’t want to be drugged up just to go on vacation.
I also get motion sick, but Bonine doesn't make me feel "drugged up" in the slightest. Once a day and I'm golden with no side effects. Totally worth it for me.

Its called Comparative Advertising

Comparative advertising is a marketing strategy in which a company's product or service is presented as superior when compared to a competitor's. A comparative advertising campaign may involve printing a side-by-side comparison of the features of a company's products next to those of its competitor. It may also feature a comparison based on value or cost. Typically, the competing product is shown in a disparaging light.

This type of advertising is popular with companies releasing new products, as the focus of the ad will be on how the new product is better than products already on the market.

Another highly-referenced comparative advertising campaign is between competitors Coca-Cola and Pepsi, in which advertisements will directly compare the tastes or benefits of one over the other. For example, the now-famous Pepsi Challenge is a recurring commercial that has been aired since 1975. In the Pepsi Challenge, PepsiCo runs taste tests on the street where consumers vote which taste they like better. Both companies are specifically mentioned and compared.

Rules Around Comparative Advertising

In the United States, companies may not engage in comparative advertising without being able to back up the claims that they make. They must be able to prove their assertions of better quality, greater popularity, better value, and the like with facts, and may not engage in false statements or imagery that disparage a competitor. Such rules were set by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in 1979 in its Statement of Policy Regarding Comparative Advertising, which states: "comparative advertising is defined as advertising that compares alternative brands on objectively measurable attributes or price, and identifies the alternative brand by name, illustration, or other distinctive information."

Other countries have adopted definitions and rules governing comparative advertising, though each country treats the topic somewhat differently. In the United Kingdom, any comparison that utilized a competitor's trademark was considered infringement. In Australia, there are no laws that specifically address comparative advertising, but there are standards based on legal precedent.

Comparative Advertising Methods

A common tactic for comparative advertising is the use of a fake product that represents a competitor. Ad viewers will associate the fake product with a competitor's product but since there is no precise comparison or trademark used, it satisfies FTC rules. Another tactic is the use of an ad parody that viewers will associate with a competitor but does not reference them or their product directly.

Sometimes, comparisons may not work as intended, as they can raise awareness among consumers of the product the advertiser's product is competing against. In effect, it acts as free advertising — especially if the difference between products is not significant enough in the eye of the consumer.
Wait, I was shopping lights yeterday, are you saying.......

Polish_20220413_143050019.jpg

I also get motion sick, but Bonine doesn't make me feel "drugged up" in the slightest. Once a day and I'm golden with no side effects. Totally worth it for me.
Yeah over the counter stuff doesn’t work for him, it’s pretty severe.

That's great. We have a British Isles 12 night Princess Cruise scheduled for next year, and it really is so much cheaper for what you get compared to Disney parks right now.

Oh wow, well done, with all the references to WDW/Disney... well done, Princess!

A tower studio at the newest Disney resort (Riviera) is about the same size as a cruise ship room and about 3 times the cost per night, while also not including food or entertainment. So yeah, this seems about right. Cruising on a non-disney line is definitely cheaper than a disney trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts