Where (in the US) would you like to live

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Take the "needing to find work" issue out. Where would you like to live in the US and why? Climate? Activities? Close to family?

Personally, I'd like to find somewhere that I don't have to deal with snow and ice but also be close to the kids (who knows where they'll be).

I'm really tired of being in WI because the winters are so long. I'd love to be near a beach with great shells. I'd be out at sunrise finding the treasures of the beach. I'd be back in time to catch the sunset. Where is this dream place for me?? Perhaps Sanibel Island? I love my country, so staying in the US is important.

Well, we already moved out of PA down to GA to get out of the cold.

Neither myself or DW really have any family, it's basically just the 5 of us, so that's not a factor. I suppose I could retire here in GA, but we'd have to get out of suburbia and go to more rural GA. If not, I want to head to Florida or Arizona. Simply because of the weather. Would consider TX too.

A few years ago, my dd was attending UCF and working at WDW. We bought a condo where she lived, and figured we'd retire there some day. DD moved home and we ended up selling the condo because we hardly used it. Interestingly, the only reason I would live in Florida would be to be warm and to work in retirement for WDW.

I would love to check out AZ. I've never visited there.

If I had to live in the US it would definitely be in Southern California - we love to vacation there. Tough to choose between Orange County and the San Diego area though - I'd have to do a lot more research before I could decide for sure.

If I'd have to pick NC would prob. be it. My whole family is in NY and DH family in Maryland so I wouldn't want to be too far away. Starting to really hate the winter months so NC seems to be a state that would work for us in terms of distance, climate, etc.

I am a West Coast girl and loved living in Seattle and Los Angeles. We are moving back to CA in about a year and I can't wait.

The East Coast has been nice, and housing has been far less cost, but I will take a smaller house to live where I want to live.

When I live in CA, I get up to WA about once per year. My dad's side of the family live up there and my best friend lives there.

Oh, and I know you said to take the needing to find work out, but DH and I can find work there easier than here!

In a perfect world, I'd live in a land where there are four seasons (just not in one week!), but not extreme on either end. Further, I'd want a place where it doesn't rain all the time, either (so Seattle is out).

That pretty much leaves Portland - 2,000 miles from where I live now, in a part of the country I've never set foot in (but for switching planes one day 20 years ago), nowhere near family. On the plus side, it's a one-hour flight to Vegas, and certain things are legal there....

Hawai'i hands down.

Why? Because I could snorkel in prestine water. And when I visited friends there 10 years ago for a week, I felt in my heart that I belonged there.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately -- what is important to me, how close to perfect a locale can ever really be . . .

I want clean air, clean water, limited cold weather, and no drought concerns . . .

I've never been to Hawai'i, but it does seem like a good candidate if I could afford it. Maybe New Mexico (but there's that drought thing). Maybe Oregon (but there's that winter thing)

I'm a Southerner at heart, but I'm not sure I'll ever live there again.

Somewhere in Southern California. I lived in Orance County when I was in my mid-20s, but moved back because I was alone. I love living in NJ and being close to family, but I prefer the weather and landscape out there. The lifestyle also suits my personality more.

Hawaii would be fun!

I used to think I would really like California. After driving around, I don't feel that way anymore! lol

Coastal cities in states like Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc. always seemed really neat, but I think that's because T.V. has romanticized them.

In a perfect world, I'd live in a land where there are four seasons (just not in one week!), but not extreme on either end. Further, I'd want a place where it doesn't rain all the time, either (so Seattle is out).

That's me as well, though I'd kind of like to avoid Tornado Alley and major fault lines too! (ETA - and probably Chicago, if its nickname is accurate - It's really windy here right now, and someplace that was like this all the time would drive me nuts!)

Anyway, I'm happy in Massachusetts right now, but might consider someplace warmer when I'm older. I'd love to retire near Walt Disney Word and start some sort of organization that takes poor kids from the area to the parks. Maybe all the schools go or something, so it wouldn't be needed - but with the prices, I've often wondered if there are a lot of kids who live so close but don't get to go?

My other retirement criteria will depend on whether I have grandchildren someday. I'm sure I'll want to be close to them if I do!!

As for the original criteria:
Climate? Activities? Close to family?

We definitely determined where we moved after college by proximity to family. We wanted to be near either mine or DH's, and the job were better near his, so that's where we chose.

I can go either way with activities. I went from a very rural sort of place to one with quick access to a big city, and found that I really love both! (Though it would be hard to give up the easy drive to the beach now.)

As for climate, I definitely need my sunny days, but they don't have to be warm all year round (at least for now, when I can still shovel snow). I love the change of seasons, and always seem to be ready for the next one by the time it comes!

Last edited:
FL or AZ, with CO as a third choice...Sunshine and warm weather. I also think about HI, but overall I do like to drive to places that can be geographically different..so that would be the only drawback, I would have to fly to those.

If I'd have to pick NC would prob. be it. My whole family is in NY and DH family in Maryland so I wouldn't want to be too far away. Starting to really hate the winter months so NC seems to be a state that would work for us in terms of distance, climate, etc.

We moved to NC from Central NY (near Syracuse) almost three years ago and it is wonderful! DH and I both grew up in Florida and never got used to the CNY winters during the 15 years we lived there. We decided to move, did a bunch of research, and felt that this was the best place for our family right now.

I'm a beach girl, so I'd love to be near a beach.

I also don't think I'd be happy out of the south - I love the culture, the food, the traditions, the arts, the weather...

I don't like cold or snow at all, & I want to be far enough south that my plumbago plants are perennials & not annuals.

We currently live in the same area as both of our families except for one relative who is in MS. However, I'm not so much worried about staying near extended family as I am being near our children after they're grown w/ their families of their own.

So, anyway, my first choice would be Florida followed by coastal South Carolina, coastal Georgia, or Texas.

EDITED TO ADD - A few years ago, I took a rather extensive "Where Should You Live?" quiz (much more detailed & in depth & w/ many more questions than the typical "quizzes" that float around Facebook); in fact, I think a poster may have actually linked the quiz here at the DISboards which is how I found it. Anyway, according the quiz, my top 3 places were Savannah, GA; St. Augustine, FL; and Galveston, TX.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter