Where did you put the...... garneska can't find anything for the next 3 months

garneska

DIS Veteran
I decided I would start a separate thread for remodeling phase 2. First, i wanted to be able to find my posts easily as i tend to chronicle the remodel better on the boards and then i show other people. Second because this will also entail us camping while phase 2 is going on. This will hopefully tackle all of it.

First let's talk background. Last year we remodeled the master bath. We did major changes to it. Removed the tub, shifted the shower to where the tub was. Where the shower was we moved our stackable washer and dryer from a tiny room off the kitchen to where the shower was. The bathroom remodel was awesome. We love it. We also love that the old laundry room is now a pantry for the kitchen.

With the laundry moved we could now start phase 2. This will tackle two major things. First we will replace the floors in the the two bedrooms, entry way, living room, kitchen and tiny laundry room with tile floor. The bedrooms are currently carpet and the other floor is hardwood. The second part of the remodel is replacing all the cabinets in the kitchen including counter top and sink. We will also have the laundry room converted to a pantry with counter top and shelves.

All this work will have us living in the RV up in Blairsville for i am guessing 10 weeks. The contractor said 6 to 8 weeks so i am planning 10 to 12 weeks. We have tried to make it easier on them by moving all our furniture out. We have spend the last two weekends moving stuff. i am so sore. This coming weekend we setup in Blairsville.

Next post will contain the before pictures (but after furniture has been moved out).

Sounds like a plan, Kris. I am particularly interested in the kitchen redo.

Will you and DH have to commute at all/any from Blairsville or what is your internet connectivity plan if not?

Bama Ed

PS - just google mapped Blairsville. It's up in the north GA mountains. Guess no commuting from there .....

Will you and DH have to commute at all/any from Blairsville or what is your internet connectivity plan if not?

In general we will only come back on certain weekends to check progress and go to soccer games. It is about 2 to 2.5 hours away.

As for the internet, this is probably the number one reason we are back at that campground. They have ethernet at the power pole. We run a wireless router from it. We are the only ones on our network. It has been very good in the past. I say that as it was 2018 i think the last time we were there. The second reason is the hiking. It is abundant and close. The campground is Crossing Creek RV Resort. I will post more about that after we get up there.

time for pictures.

our rented storage unit packed with all the furnature.

948F724B-9CEC-48DF-B9A0-8077CBCB8080.jpeg

now some before. The living room.

01E1EA44-8AFD-4768-A7A1-09D20A4002AA.jpeg

the hallway to the study.

F3F2B514-D1D3-49EB-8329-1C0F4FE3C387.jpeg

the study

A17B6682-BDFC-4205-B180-E6A89FA966D7.jpeg

the bedroom

7D623AEE-E583-4B1D-9C44-DD2BED210232.jpeg

two of the kitchen because that will have the most work.

A27A199A-2CF6-4BA8-9408-EE7EC5062D99.jpeg

2F1443C7-43F7-44C3-996C-4070CC59261F.jpeg

the white door in the kitchen is to the tiny laundry room soon to be pantry. That will be very different.

edit for one more of kitchen which will be drastically different.

9B1E7026-10F2-421F-B995-0A2392E3B1B5.jpeg

I love posts like this! AND I want before and afters of the last remodel you did too!

And it is neat to see from the inside of your place- it looks SO high off the ground. What story are you on? I have only been inside a condo like that once, but I don't really remember it.

And it is neat to see from the inside of your place- it looks SO high off the ground. What story are you on? I have only been inside a condo like that once, but I don't really remember it.
We are on the 18th floor. It is high up. We love it. I also get some very interesting weather up here. Storms can be interesting and sometimes i am in a cloud. When we were looking at condos i did not care if we were high up but DH said high up was a must have. I am glad w e are high. It is fun hanging out on the balcony. I also said balcony was not a requirement (nice to have but not requirement), for DH it was and i am glad with both his requests. I am giving him his props.

See that is why I thought i need a separate thread. I will go find the best post on the chit chat thread. I have a really good one with before and after. I will link it in once i find it :).

i did not care if we were high up but DH said high up was a must have. I am glad we are high.

I also said balcony was not a requirement (nice to have but not requirement), for DH it was and i am glad with both his requests.

I am giving him his props.

And the guy can cook too.

Bama Ed

Have not started and already drama. I had not heard much from the contractor and the planned start date was July 19. As of July 7 they had said yes to starting sometime that week. Well last night I finally got an email from them saying they could not start because they did not have the cabinets. We ordered the materials back in the beginning of April because we knew there would be a long lead time on the cabinets. They are still not ready and I don't have an ETA. Unfortunately that was all i got in the email. This completely stressed me out.

Then I called them this morning and had to leave a message. I was starting to worry that my contractor was having issues. I did get a hold of them at 1:30 this afternoon. Bert and I had been talking and decided if it was just the cabinets to go ahead and start next week on the floors. I mean we have all the furniture out and about to take the rig up to Blairsville. That is our plan. They will come out next week (probably friday) and start then on the demo of kitchen and floors and then put in the new floors. At that point we may have to wait on the cabinets and i have no idea how long. However once the floors are in we could start living in the condo again and we can live without a kitchen. We will have the fridge and a microwave. Plus we have a grill on the pool deck.

All this means is my waist line might get bigger since eating out will be the plan.

Newish plan for now. Take the RV to Blairsville on Saturday. Get set up but no groceries (eating out saturday night). Sunday, we will do a short hike, because i can, and then head back to Atlanta. We will get groceries for the week and live and work in the condo next week.

I will say stress is a lot lower now than it was. As you we like to say, "Flexibility is the key to air power" or "Improvise, adapt and overcome". which ever you prefer. I think I need a glass of wine.

As you we like to say, "Flexibility is the key to air power" or "Improvise, adapt and overcome". which ever you prefer. I think I need a glass of wine.

Or two or three.

:drinking1

Ed

PS - one of the dads in my sons' Scout Troop was a residential contractor and he said when doing a repair job or some other small project, all he had to do was pull up the adjacent carpet/wood trim frame/wiring plug and he could always find something to add to the project - for $afety reasons.

We lived in our RV inside our pole barn for 12 months (minus 3 months in FL during winter) while we built our house. Everything we owned was split between the barn and a rented 10x20 storage garage. It took a few years to sort it all out after the house was done.

Nice @bigdisneydaddy I am looking forward to north georgia. i will be less than 30 minutes to good hiking. Used to driving from atlanta and home in one day. Means I can go on longer hikes.

Smart move, the majority of the work is before the cabinits anyway. The finish stuff osnt as messy also. Heres hoping the cabinits come in soon!

check in at Crossing creek is 1pm. its about a 2 hour drive. Less if traffic is good and 3 hours when it blows. We stayed here before in may to June 2018. instead of being at gulf shores that year I was here because I was working remote that weekend. I had to work and gulf shores internet is nonexistent. We were driving back and forth about every week. Usually to atlanta on Sunday and back to blairsville Wednesday night. Yes one trip it took 3 hours.

plan was to leave the condo at 9:30 and be heading up by 10:30. Well we left the condo at 10:15 and headed up at 11:17. We got here at exactly 1 pm. We left late mostly because we were not in any real hurry. The only plan was to get setup. Did not even grocery shop because we will go back to atlanta tomorrow.

some of the drive up. Just after picking up the rig

4A1947F8-BE05-4D7A-9AAE-54F78A5AC9F2.jpeg

Closer to mountains

CD59E17D-320B-4F8A-81D1-40387447E0D6.jpeg

mallory and the lube pump chirped the entire way up.

D7B8CE17-E0BF-42BB-9906-D20132102F19.jpeg

From the campground

3D36FDE6-B4F7-49A1-BD7D-2401FEAC3449.jpeg

and in our spot till aug 27, then we will have to switch sites.

5DDCD868-BFC9-4AA9-B1F3-6D831356D6E0.jpeg

trying to settle in. Going to pick up dinner and watch atlanta United get their butts kicked.

hope tomorrow to go hike up Blood Mountain, then shower and head to the condo.

mallory and the lube pump chirped the entire way up.
All right, that's it!!!. Mallory I can accept, the car NO. Next trip we're stripping the wiring from the Rav and starting over from scratch!!!

PS. How exactly are you gonna take any extra bourbon off Benita/Damien hands if your at a campground.
I'm planning a road trip right now

@tigger92662 I have a secret weapon for the bourbon. FIL lives in Ohio about 3 hours away from Benita.

we ended up not hiking this morning. One issue was rain and the second was no one slept well. Mallory chirped 3 times that I knew in the night. She definitely likes the condo sleeping situation. Expecting to just work tomorrow. the contractor won’t be here till Wednesday.

Sounds like you have a great plan - now the contractor needs to get his act together & get the remodel on the go! Your new home site looks great! Enjoy & relax - before you know it Aug will be here & gone. This year has flown bye. Hugs to all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter