Where did the pockets go?

Way back in the day (when I was in college) I took a fashion design class. We studied the big designers at the time. And, even back then, one of the questions was "why no pockets in women's pants?". Besides the "Women always carry a purse" argument we were taught that "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges".
So make longer shirts to cover said "bulges". :rolleyes1 I am a mom with 3 c-sections behind her. Can I please get a t-shirt that covers my stomach properly without being a tunic??!!!! :furious:

Sometimes I really wish my pants had proper pockets again, so that I could carry basics (phone, wallet, keys) without having to carry a purse or backpack. None of my current pants (jeans, mostly) have front pockets big enough even for my phone. Even when I CAN fit the phone in there, I can't sit down! Putting it in my back pocket where it only fits halfway freaks me out, so I won't do that. However, when I think back to my old jeans with the bigger pockets, they were kind of frumpy by comparison and not as flattering so not sure I'd want to go back to that.

I hate not having pockets in my work slacks. I got slightly excited when the pair I purchased last week at Kohls has half a pocket. Meaning, it will only fit my debit card, but better than nothing.

Whom ever is designing women's clothing needs a wake up call. We get excited when we find pockets! Heck, we even show them off to our friends and co-workers. My running skirts (Sparkle Skirts) all have amazing leg and waist pockets and I'll eagerly show them off. Unfortunately mine and my daughters Scouts BSA uniform pockets (tops and bottoms) have slim pockets that are almost unusable. Meanwhile my husbands and sons pockets are functional. :confused3

I hate not having pockets in my work slacks. I got slightly excited when the pair I purchased last week at Kohls has half a pocket. Meaning, it will only fit my debit card, but better than nothing.

Whom ever is designing women's clothing needs a wake up call. We get excited when we find pockets! Heck, we even show them off to our friends and co-workers. My running skirts (Sparkle Skirts) all have amazing leg and waist pockets and I'll eagerly show them off. Unfortunately mine and my daughters Scouts BSA uniform pockets (tops and bottoms) have slim pockets that are almost unusable. Meanwhile my husbands and sons pockets are functional. :confused3
Haha, so true. My younger DD noticed the new jammie pants I had on and told me they were cute. I was like, “Look! They have pockets!” 😂

Haha, so true. My younger DD noticed the new jammie pants I had on and told me they were cute. I was like, “Look! They have pockets!” 😂

What are they or what do they look like?

Nevermind...google is a friend to all, LOL.

But this is nothing new. This post makes it seem like all of a sudden, the pockets were all gone.

And, even back then, one of the questions was "why no pockets in women's pants?". Besides the "Women always carry a purse" argument we were taught that "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges".

Yes, the OP's thread title is incorrect. It's not where did they go. The majority of womens pants never had them. When I was young, in the lastr quarter of last century, the majority of women's pants, especially dress pants, had fake pockets. We were told it's because, "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges." And I think the reasoning also was that women were still considered an attractive accessory/trophy standing next to their men. We shouldn't really be doing things that would require pockets. :rolleyes: If we needed pockets, we must be doing "manly" things. :eek: "Put that down! Stick to staying home, rearing the kids, and only going out to do grocery shopping."

Now, many designers have acquiesced and have given us 2 inch pockets. :sad2:

Even the yoga pants I have on now have real pockets. 4 of them.

That's because many yoga pants are now being designed by women, like Kate Hudson. Her yoga pants have a cell phone pocket on the outer thigh. One just has to remember not to roll over onto the cell phone when rolling on one's side. :headache:

I also saw, the other day, a racer back running top that has the cell phone pocket in the racer back area, between the shoulder blades.

1573771298096-png.452674

::yes:: When women were burning bras, demanding equality during the Women's Movement, they should have also demanded deep pockets to put in the equal pay most women STILL are not getting. :badpc: Maybe when that happens, we'll get the pockets finally too? :confused3

Last edited:
I love a couple of pairs of "not quite cargo" shorts I have for summer, because they have pockets I can put my cell phone in! (It drives me nuts in a back pocket.)

My otherwise favorite jeans have too small a front pocket for anything, even money, without worrying it will fall out.

And forget dress pants - fake pockets are the worst!

Way back in the day (when I was in college) I took a fashion design class. We studied the big designers at the time. And, even back then, one of the questions was "why no pockets in women's pants?". Besides the "Women always carry a purse" argument we were taught that "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges".
Well, I am already pretty fat, and still my clothes don't have pockets. I am a size 2X or 18/20 pants. I really need at least one pocket for a cell phone in pants.

As for a pocket for a cellphone, my work requires me to wear black dress pants. I, so far, have been able to get away with wearing really dark black, slim leg jeans that have a patch pocket in the back. Unfortunately, most jeans are made of cotton or a cotton blend, and the pockets, way too soon, start to show fading where the cell phone is placed, meanwhile the rest of the jean still look pretty new. :headache:

I haven't used a purse since I was 13 and accidentally left it in a store. I won't buy pants unless they have pockets since I refuse to use a purse. It's also a big part of why I don't wear dresses. When I bought my first smart phone a couple years ago, I insisted on seeing if it would fit in my pocket with it's case on before I would commit to purchasing one. Most phones would not fit. The phone I have barely fits and I still have to take it and everything else out of my pockets if I sit or everything either digs into my hips or falls out (huge pain in the car having stuff fall between the seat and center console to disappear forever). Everyone thinks I'm weird for carrying my IDs and bank cards in my pocket without a wallet, but they barely fit as is. There's no way a wallet would.

I bought a granny sweater with pockets last year. I posted pics of that so fast to share with my friends. My mom has been wearing those sweaters for years. I have been mocking for years, now I understand the love of them!!!

I bought a granny sweater with pockets last year. I posted pics of that so fast to share with my friends. My mom has been wearing those sweaters for years. I have been mocking for years, now I understand the love of them!!!
View attachment 452881

Nope! Can't wear cardigans. Not even the short ones. Maybe when I'm 90 and no longer care that I dress like a granny, I could do it. :p

I wouldn't mind a scarf like this with pockets. Although, I can't pull off this woman's attitude. I'd probably stroll by my reflection in a store window and realize, I still look like a granny with big knitted, slouchy pockets. :eek:

89deefb307c5d231b46bb812b3a3b629.jpg

Nope! Can't wear cardigans. Not even the short ones. Maybe when I'm 90 and no longer care that I dress like a granny, I could do it. :p

I wouldn't mind a scarf like this with pockets. Although, I can't pull off this woman's attitude. I'd probably stroll by my reflection in a store window and realize, I still look like a granny with big knitted, slouchy pockets. :eek:

89deefb307c5d231b46bb812b3a3b629.jpg
oh I wear mine around the house. I only wear it out of the house if I am sick and REALLY don't care.

It's also a big part of why I don't wear dresses. When I bought my first smart phone a couple years ago, I insisted on seeing if it would fit in my pocket with it's case on before I would commit to purchasing one.

I love watching the red carpet at award shows and the stars show that their A-line dresses have pockets. Every dress that isn't a slim-fitting in the hips, mermaid-style dress should have pockets. :thumbsup2

What I can't figure out are the brides on "Say Yes" that go nuts over the wedding gowns with pockets. I mean, day to day life, sure. But do you really need pockets in your wedding gown?

What I can't figure out are the brides on "Say Yes" that go nuts over the wedding gowns with pockets. I mean, day to day life, sure. But do you really need pockets in your wedding gown?
If you need to carry a kleenex and chapstick at all times, yes.

I remember having to have my mom and stepmother hang onto mine and my sister’s things on my wedding day and then having to search them out for things at the reception. Pockets would have come in handy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter