Where can I find info on DCL using your points?

K&KsMom

Mouseketeer
Ahh I am searching for posts about the pros and cons from people using their points for cruises. Can anyone help?

Go over to the DVC board, there is often much discussion on this topic.

to book a cruise using DVC points you have to pay a $95 fee ( non refundable). Points are high (in 2006 eastern cruise 7 night cat6 july 8th, 325 points each for the first 2 people, 188 points each for the 3&4 persons 13 years or older,
158 points each for the 3&4 persons under 6-12 years old.) the points go up ever year for cruises. you are better off renting your points and paying cash for the cruise. once you book a cruise and you cancel the cruise, you loose your $95 fee and you cannot use your points to stay a wdw dvc resort. you can use your points for disneyland, wdw non dvc resorts plus you have to now pay another $95 to stay at non dvc resorts or another cruise w/another $95 fee or conceirge collect plus the $95 fee, adventure collection $95 fee.

you should check out the dvc board to get more questions answered if you have more questions, but this will help you with the cons.
the plus side if you use points, you dont pay any cash except the $95 fee and it would feel like your going for free

The point charts and all information needed to book DCL using points is on the member website and in your vacation planner. It's DEFINAELY not a good use of points. We own 475 and I can't even book a 3 night using my points for my family or 4.

to book a cruise using DVC points you have to pay a $95 fee ( non refundable). Points are high (in 2006 eastern cruise 7 night cat6 july 8th, 325 points each for the first 2 people, 188 points each for the 3&4 persons 13 years or older,
158 points each for the 3&4 persons under 6-12 years old.) the points go up ever year for cruises. you are better off renting your points and paying cash for the cruise. once you book a cruise and you cancel the cruise, you loose your $95 fee and you cannot use your points to stay a wdw dvc resort. you can use your points for disneyland, wdw non dvc resorts plus you have to now pay another $95 to stay at non dvc resorts or another cruise w/another $95 fee or conceirge collect plus the $95 fee, adventure collection $95 fee.

you should check out the dvc board to get more questions answered if you have more questions, but this will help you with the cons.
the plus side if you use points, you dont pay any cash except the $95 fee and it would feel like your going for free

This is exactly what happened to us. Booked at 11months out as per usual, but didn't foresee a year of serious medical emergencies - both with us, and our family members (on both sides!) We just cancelled our cruise, and lost our fee as well as points, plus, had to pay fees for new ressie at Yacht Club, plus, have to pay fees for every use of the rest of our points. Insurance doesn't cut it either as relatives have to die, before you can collect the cash equivalent of points. If you make a good, sound choice like we did to not be in the middle of the ocean with several family members seriously ill, and cancel your cruise, you are out of luck.

We only did this because we had Developer's points, but are now wishing we would have taken cash equivalent, but we honestly couldn't have known what disasters were before us.

I would think twice about doing this as you are very, and I mean very restricted about how you can use these points, no to mention that if you need to modify this cruise ressie in any way, you are subject to more fees.

We are of the belief that our points can be used the way in which we like them, but after this, we have decided that we will use them for Disney Collection at places like Grand Floridian, Contemporary or Yacht Club, to add on a few days to our DVC ressie as a special treat, but never again will we use points for another cruise.

Good luck, Tiger

Thank you all so much. We have decided against using our points for the cruise. It definitely was way too much. We just had so much fun on our cruise last month we thought maybe we could do another. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter