When would you go?

MissMet

DIS Veteran
We're in the early stages of planning our 2nd visit to DL. We've only visited one time, in February 2012. We loved it and really enjoyed the low crowds, but we wished it was a bit warmer. So from January to May, when is your favorite time of year to visit and why? We're trying to have lower crowds and really good, beach weather?

Thanks for any advise you can give!!

Given Jan-May, I would choose early to mid- May. After Spring Break crowds. Weather is warmer. Most refurbs completed ahead of summer.

i agree with early may- crowd-wise it's a good time to go, but weather-wise it can be iffy- it could be nice and sunny or gloomy and rainy.

I would've voted mid May too for lower crowds and good weather - yesterday's gate closure makes that vote questionable! There are no more guaranteed low crowd times but mid-week is better than weekend and no general time is as bad as the week between Christmas and New Year's.

We went at the last week of February in 2016 and the weather was fantastic; high 70's and the last day was into the mid 80's. It was a gamble with the weather going at that time, but we were willing to risk the rain if it happened. Have fun no matter when you decide to go.

Our trip in Feb we saw some days in the 70s and that was nice, but being out in the elements in the evening it was just too chilly for us. Especially since we were trying to escape the cold in NY. I was thinking May since it's our wedding anniversary month. Thanks guys!

I agree with May suggestions but be aware of the Tinkerbell Half Marathon weekend-usually the same weekend as Mother's Day. The runDisney events are super fun but they definitely generate significant crowds in the parks and surrounding hotels etc. Mid-late month you will also start to have grad nights (see other current threads about those) but they can be worked around.

OK, first, kick out that idea that there's a slow time at DL anymore. It's completely hit and miss. It uses to be predictable, but the proliferation of "crowd calendars" all over the web have virtually killed the slow times. Sure, they still exist, but you never know when they're going to happen now.

As for weather, we had temps in the 80s in early March and it was high 90s last weekend. You can't really call it perfectly, but May will definitely give you a better chance of warm/hot weather.

LOL, I have to share :) I just remembered a Mother's Day trip in 2014 when it was 100+ degrees with insane dry conditions. The Santa Ana winds would blow and it felt like when you open the oven and get a face-full of hot air. It was so hot and dry that I was covered in a fine coating of salt crystals after a full day in the parks but never actually felt wet with sweat. Despite the heat, we had a fantastic trip!

I would probably opt for somewhere in the late-April to early-May time frame if you want the best chance at warm, but not hot and not cold, weather and manageable crowds. That being said, there really aren't many true "slow" times at DLR anymore and at this point, we have no idea what kinds of ticket deals or special events will be happening in early 2018 that will impact crowds. I would try to avoid dates when there are known special events (e.g., Dapper Days, Mother's Day/Tinkerbell Half Marathon, etc.) occuring.

I was just at Disneyland May 7 & 8 and it was really crowded. We're from Phoenix and May seems to be the time all the school trips go. We went with my son's middle school band program, then my friend who's a principal went with her school, then my neice went with her band program.

I would suggest going one of the weekends of the Coachella Festival in April, which happened to fall on Easter this year. People reported low crowds and wait times. Look at the post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dl-today.3598052/

We went to Disneyland April 22 - 25th, 2016 and the weather was great and the crowds were far better than June, August, October and November (our other trips that year). Only our trip at the end of January/beginning of February 2016 was better, but we had rain.

If you are looking at next year, I would say late April. Easter is early next year so by late April the spring break crowds should be over but the grad nights will not have started yet. Weather is hit and miss in the spring, but it is generally nice in Anaheim.

ETA: Or go 3 weeks before Easter if the crowds are more important than the weather.

I want to go next year too, thanks for starting this thread! I was thinking Summer would be best for weather but April works for us as we can go over school vacation (third week of April usually) and I figure the crowds would be lower than summer. I was just worried it might not be good pool weather. This will be our first trip to DL. Also not sure what hotel to stay at. Been to WDW 5 times and always stay on property but not sure exactly what to do/expect at DL!

Thanks all. Our anniversary is May 6th. We usually always go away during our anniversary so the usual would be for us to go in May. However, my husband's favorite time of year here at home is the spring and he's always complaining on our trips about how beautiful the weather is at home!! So he's wanting to go away earlier in the year, however, the time we went in February all he did was complain about how chilly it was. :headache: So I was thinking maybe late April/early May or maybe even March. Totally get how unpredictable crowds are anymore at either of the parks (FL/CA). We'll be traveling with our kids who will only be 2 & 3 so we're more limited on rides so hopefully higher crowds won't be so bothersome to us. :upsidedow Good to know about the marathon mother's day weekend.

I want to go next year too, thanks for starting this thread! I was thinking Summer would be best for weather but April works for us as we can go over school vacation (third week of April usually) and I figure the crowds would be lower than summer. I was just worried it might not be good pool weather. This will be our first trip to DL. Also not sure what hotel to stay at. Been to WDW 5 times and always stay on property but not sure exactly what to do/expect at DL!
Fair warning that April spring break crowds can be worse than summer crowds! We used to always go in April when our kids had spring break, but about six years ago switched to summer when spring break time got too crazy! Crowds are so hard to predict...different than it used to be. A lot of it depends on Easter and when other kids spring breaks are.

Fair warning that April spring break crowds can be worse than summer crowds! We used to always go in April when our kids had spring break, but about six years ago switched to summer when spring break time got too crazy! Crowds are so hard to predict...different than it used to be. A lot of it depends on Easter and when other kids spring breaks are.

Thanks. Yeah, the only reason I'm entertaining the idea of April is because Easter is April 1 next year, so I was thinking late April into May.

A good rule of thumb for avoiding the peak Spring Break crowds is to avoid the two weeks before and two weeks after Easter. Since Easter is early next year, your dates should work. Check the grad night schedule, too, (do a search for this year's dates for comparison) to make sure you don't get stuck with multiple events during your trip.

Avoid any and all Spring Break weeks. I'm not kidding--it's ridiculous. You'll hate it. It's as bad as summer crowds now if not worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter