When will '09 dates be released?

Interesting article, whilst we know now about the 09 cruises this gives an insight.

Disney Cruise Line staying in Port Canaveral in 2009
Dec 5, 2007

Disney Cruise Line will keep the Magic at Port Canaveral in 2009, ending its three year summer oddyssey to distant destinations.

The Disney Magic will be visiting St. Croix and Tortola on select Eastern Caribbean sailings in 2009.

Disney Cruise Line was recently fined $107,000 when it did not meet the mooring quota required by Port Canaveral to maintain its exclusive use of the terminal located there. Disney docked at Port Canaveral 139 times out of the 150 required according to this agreement resulting in the fine being imposed. The Disney's Magic being based in the Mediterranean created the shortfall.

According to Tom McAlpin, Disney Cruise Line President "The $107,000 is a nominal amount. This decision has nothing to do with that. We wouldn't make this type of decision based on that kind of fee." Mr. McAlpin stated that the 2009 Caribbean sailings are a result of guest feedback.

Once Disney's contract with Port Canaveral expires in 2008, is remains renewable annually for the next 40 years.

"The nature of our business is that we have assets that are mobile," McAlpin stated. "We have a great relationship with Port Canaveral and our goal is to continue to do business with them."

Thanks for posting that....I had a suspicion DCL was hearing gripings about the Magic being away too much. Good to know that they do listen.

Am I reading that right that the contract gets renewed for one year at a time? You'd think Port Canaveral would want multi-year contracts. Annual contracts give DCL a lot of flexibility. Yet McAlpin states he wants to stay in Port Canaveral.

Thanks for posting that....I had a suspicion DCL was hearing gripings about the Magic being away too much. Good to know that they do listen.

Am I reading that right that the contract gets renewed for one year at a time? You'd think Port Canaveral would want multi-year contracts. Annual contracts give DCL a lot of flexibility. Yet McAlpin states he wants to stay in Port Canaveral.

Yes from next year annual renewals, of course DCL would want to stay at PC due to its proximity to WDW,but also after spending so much on the terminal, but it isn't a gun at their head, they could move, maybe on the arrival of the first ship the Magic will base itself in LA, then on the next new ship the Wonder could go to Miami in winter and Barcelona in summer.

$107K fine? The one-cruise revenue from 20 Cat 09 staterooms will pay for that drop in the bucket. :laughing:

My TA just told me she is going to give me $400.00 plus the fifty dollar one for CC members. I am looking at the Aug..09 Tortolla cruise...:cool1: :cool1:
Glad that everyone is getting such GREAT Deals with in regards to OB.............
Thanks Alex, for all your work on keeping this thread up and updated..............

My TA just told me she is going to give me $400.00 plus the fifty dollar one for CC members. I am looking at the Aug..09 Tortolla cruise...:cool1: :cool1:
Glad that everyone is getting such GREAT Deals with in regards to OB.............
Thanks Alex, for all your work on keeping this thread up and updated..............

Congrats... Come and join us on the cruise meets thread for that one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!