When to repair a car vs cut losses and buy a new one? Update page 2

mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
I took my 2008 highlander/sport in to have new spark plugs done yesterday. Nothing was wrong, but I have just over 100k miles and I was told it was a good thing to do. Car runs great, no problems, dh and I were just saying we would love to get a lot more life out of it.

Got a call from mechanic that they found seepage and recommend replacing head gasket, water pump, timing cover, and some other stuff to the tune of $4500. So now we are trying to decide if it's worth it or to just start looking for a new car. I love not having a car payment. We don't have the $ to buy a car outright right now. So I'm leaning towards fixing but dh thinks cutting losses might be better. Wwyd?

Well...yeah, it's tough. I have a 2005 Highlander with about 200,000 miles. Your Highlander has a LOT of life left in it.

Water pump and timing cover, imo, are maintenance repairs that come with any vehicle at 100,000 miles (or sooner). Water pump is always a pricey repair. I've had a head gasket go on my Camry at roughly 150,000 miles so again, to me, that's maintenance at that point.

The thing is, your Highlander still probably has pretty good value at this point but you need $4,500 in repairs. You can't really sell it now without disclosing that. Are you going to the dealer for repairs? When my cars got older, I found a reliable non-dealer mechanic that is saving me a ton of money on these older cars and doing a fine job at it.

I wanted to also add that my friend is in a similar situation with her 2006 Camry (high mileage). She just spent over $2,000 on a repair that's "temporary" fix but there is some sort of transmission issue that will ultimately cost her a lot of money to fix, more than the car is worth. So she made the initial repair and will sell it in the next few months for a fairly low price. She's just trying to find her new car right now. In her situation, her repair was not a ultimate fix. It sounds like yours will be.

I took my 2008 highlander/sport in to have new spark plugs done yesterday. Nothing was wrong, but I have just over 100k miles and I was told it was a good thing to do. Car runs great, no problems, dh and I were just saying we would love to get a lot more life out of it.

Got a call from mechanic that they found seepage and recommend replacing head gasket, water pump, timing cover, and some other stuff to the tune of $4500. So now we are trying to decide if it's worth it or to just start looking for a new car. I love not having a car payment. We don't have the $ to buy a car outright right now. So I'm leaning towards fixing but dh thinks cutting losses might be better. Wwyd?

I was in the same situation about a year ago with 2007 Honda Pilot with 100k. My non-dealer mechanic did oil change, but told me what's recommended at this mileage. Although I think it was just timing belt and water pump, not head gasket. This is a long time mechanic of my family, loyal and trustworthy kind of guy. He'd tell me if I should just get rid of it instead of fix it. He's done that before. Anyway, we did all the work and my car has been great since. That was a year ago and I have no regrets on doing the work. It'll help me extend the life of this vehicle that otherwise is in great shape.

Did you go to a dealer or independent mechanic?

I took our Toyota Sienna in to the dealer for a simple oil change at 100,000 miles and walked out with an estimate for $4500 worth of work.

I immediately went to our long time trusted mechanic and had them look over the van. They recommended about $600 worth of 100,000 mile maintenance repairs.

That was 3 years ago. I've never been back to the dealer. The 2008 van has 133,700 miles on it and I expect to get at least 200,000 out of it.

I think my dealer wanted to scare me into trading it in. No way Jose!

I'd get a second opinion.

Thank you all. This was at the dealer and we do plan to check out a local place that friends recommend next week. I am really leaning toward fixing it but that was my knee jerk opinion, vs dh who knee jerked to buy a new car.

I think we will have a better feel after taking it in and talking some more. Helps to hear other thoughts which is why I posted. We want to really weigh in from all angles before we make a final decision. We just had a good chat and are giving all options that good hard look.

I'm at that point with my 2000 Mazda. It needs $3500 in repairs. It is a very old car that my niece drives around town. No highway usage. It's still safe to drive, so I am not making the repairs. If it dies, it dies. If it makes it to September when Niece goes off to college, I will sell it to the junkyard for parts. A 2008 I would still consider a new car and make the repair.

I would just pick up a can of blue devil. Use it and just hope for the best.
If it goes it goes.

Head gaskets repairs are expensive. The other repairs can be expensive as well but those are more normal age/wear related repairs.
There's probably still a lot of life left in the car but with the age and mileage, you're going to start to end up with lots of age/wear related repairs. You just have to decide if you can handle that (both the time of having it in the shop and the costs).
Finding an independent mechanic is a good idea.

Hopefully, I can help. Cars are my life, literally. First, I'd say a 2008 Highlander with only 100k miles on it is barely broken in. Those things are good for 250k+ miles easily without needing anything truly major. Sure, things can happen, but the chances are slim with this vehicle. Remember, the Highlander is essentially a Toyota Camry station wagon....they share the same platform, powertrain, etc... Unbreakable car.

I would also very highly question the mechanic who gave you that quote. Head gasket? Are you seeing any white smoke out your tailpipe? Have someone check your coolant and/or oil. Do either of them look like a chocolate milkshake? If no, then you probably don't have a head gasket issue. Those would be very uncommon issues for a Camry/Highlander. A valve cover gasket seeping...sure, maybe. Head gasket? I won't say impossible, because it can happen, but unlikely. And if it's just "seeping", not the end of the world. All cars use gaskets. Over time, they can start to rot and they'll seep a bit. If it's just a little seepage, just drive it. If it's truly leaking, fix it. Whatever you do, DO NOT put blue devil or other "stop leak" stuff in your oil. It will create more problems in the long run than it solves.

Timing belt/chain covers can seep oil too, again, not really a big deal. If it has to be replaced, it's not horribly expensive. Water pumps are wear items, all cars need them replaced eventually. 100k is a bit early, you should be able to go to 150k.

I'd also suggest getting a quote from an independent mechanic, it'll cost you a ton less.

If you want a new car because you WANT one, then that's a personal decision and no arguing that. But financially, I'd say your car is far, far away from reaching that point.

So next question, when we take the to local mechanic do you tell them exactly what dealer found? Or tell them there was a little bit of seepage that dealer saw and let them look/tell you?

Thanks again for all the new responses. Klayfish I really appreciate your insight. We just don't know cars! I have had no issues, no smoke or anything indicating a problem.

So next question, when we take the to local mechanic do you tell them exactly what dealer found? Or tell them there was a little bit of seepage that dealer saw and let them look/tell you?

I posted earlier but I had another issue like yours with my 2008 Honda Element. Took it to the dealer and got a $4,000 repair bill. Took it to a highly rated mechanic and showed him the dealer's findings. He said he "gets this all the time from that Honda dealer." He said some of the stuff was just "wear" and wasn't critical to replace at that time. This was 2 years ago. I paid him $500 to do the necessary things and the car has been just fine.

Sure, I would have no problem handing the independent mechanic the estimate that the dealer gave you. Let them look at the car and give their opinion on what the dealer said. A head gasket issue is fairly easy for a mechanic to diagnose, and usually fairly obvious to an owner...a car won't run well, or at all, with a bad head gasket. There are definitely some maintenance things that should be replaced right around the 100k mark, maybe 125k. For example, the thermostat. It's a $25 part and minimal labor. If that goes bad, then you can overheat the engine, and that WOULD blow your head gasket...or worse. It's good preventative maintenance to change the thermostat.

I posted earlier but I had another issue like yours with my 2008 Honda Element. Took it to the dealer and got a $4,000 repair bill. Took it to a highly rated mechanic and showed him the dealer's findings. He said he "gets this all the time from that Honda dealer." He said some of the stuff was just "wear" and wasn't critical to replace at that time. This was 2 years ago. I paid him $500 to do the necessary things and the car has been just fine.

This exactly. Did the same with my $4500 estimate. Showed our mechanic the paper from the dealer. Right away they told me the dealer was ridiculous. Then they went and looked at the van themselves and gave me their own list of a few hundred dollars, not thousands.

Good to know! Thanks for the thermostat heads up.

If the Highlander's is running great, I wouldn't do anything. I would take it to the local mechanic you are planning to take it to. I, however, would not tell them about the dealer visit. Just tell them you wanted to get a once over on the vehicle because you intend to keep it for a long time. See what they say, wait a few days and go back with the dealer paperwork. They love to take business from stealerships. I'm a car guy too, like klayfish. I've owned a dragraced mustangs for ad long time. Anyway, I don't like to do maintenance anymore. I just had a fuel pump relay issue with my wife's van. Almost every jeep, Chrysler and dodge vehicle has been recalled for the problem but out van. I took it to the dealer and acted like they have never heard of the issue. They wanted to just start throwing parts at it...not happening. I took to my local mechanic, showed him what I found on google and a video of what it was doing. $200 later all is good!

Toyota has extended the warranty on their V-6 engines due to head gasket failure. You say you went to the dealer, so i would hope they checked that. That may be a free (to you) repair if you have a V-6. I would find an independent mechanic to do the work
I am a "repair a car guy" so yes, i would fix it and drive it forever.
My family car is a 1987 Chevy Suburban that I bought new, it will be 30 years old in October, so I practice what I preach. I did buy a new (to me) car in 2015, but it's a 1965.

Depending on what state you live in, the sales tax, higher registration and insurance fees on a new car will be as much or more than the cost of repairs.
And my last 3 employers have run fleets of cars, normally we run them 300,000 miles. Cheaper to repair than replace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter