When do August Refurbs start?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by tlcdoula, May 17, 2018.

1. tlcdoula

tlcdoula DIS Veteran

I know that Haunted Mansion and Space mountain usually go down for the halloween overlays but when do they normally do that? Is it before or after labour day? We are heading down on August 22nd for a few days.

2. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

SM goes down after Labor Day since the overlay refurb is short (just a few days). HM goes down in late August because that overlay takes a few weeks to complete. However, Halloween Time just got announced today and opening day is September 7th. That is way early and Labor Day is the Monday before. So that might affect the overlay dates for these rides. SM can still go down right after Labor Day and be ready by the Friday, but HM might be down by mid-August, maybe by the 20th?

tlcdoula and kyrkea333 like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

Given past years when Halloween has started the Friday after Labor Day I would expect haunted mansion to be closed for the overlay change starting on August 20.

Space will only be closed for 3 days at most for the change over so sep 4-6.

tlcdoula likes this.
  5. StitchyPoo81

StitchyPoo81 Cant get enough of DisneyWorld

I saw the Halloween party start September 19th. So I'm really hoping it will be open August 20 or even later

tlcdoula likes this.
  6. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

Halloween time starts September 7 though, so it’s likely given past schedules that HM will close for the overlay on August 20.

tlcdoula and DizneyMommy like this.
  7. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

I agree with the PPs, it's likely that Haunted Mansion will go down on August 20 so that it can re-open with the start of HalloweenTime (that's historically when HMH and SMGG have re-opened with their overlays in place).

tlcdoula likes this.
  8. DizneyMommy

DizneyMommy Every Day is Disneyland Day!

It’s not really that early. Last 3 years were 11th, 9th, 15th (in no order). But Labor Day is the 3rd, and has of course been getting earlier for the last 5 years, so it makes sense.

9. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

Last year was the first year in a while where Halloween time was shortened a week and didn’t start the Friday after Labor Day.