When did Air Canada get cheaper than WestJet?

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
I've been thinking about a trip in late August or mid-September, and I'm struck by how WestJet has climbed in price- even Air Canada is cheaper! Given how WJ used to be the most reliable el-cheapo airline around, that's kind of odd to me. Is it because they got their ultra-ULTRA-cheapo variant in Swoop (an affiliate of WJ)? Or is it because Air Canada charges a bigger premium for things like selecting seats and flexibility (I think WJ is far more open)?

The reviews online indicate that Swoop is NOT very good, so I think I'll go with AC or Delta, both of whom are at similar prices. Though I like to get to Disney by mid-afternoon and that seems trickier and trickier with these flight for some reason- most drop you off late at night.

Last edited:
It's because WestJet has changed their business model to be Air Canada 2.0 (ie, their Business Class almost matches Air Canada). Before WJ and AC weren't direct competitors (Air Canada was the "higher end" brand)...but now they are. You'll find price fluctuations between the two but for the most part (from what I've seen) they price flights exactly the same.

Westjet has also been cancelling flights like mad so I think it's a supply/demand thing right now. We booked our October flights to MCO in January and they are now more than double the cost in a lot of cases. I noticed a big jump when they cancelled the YVR to MCO direct flight so now everyone has to route through YYC or YYZ.

Westjet has also been cancelling flights like mad so I think it's a supply/demand thing right now. We booked our October flights to MCO in January and they are now more than double the cost in a lot of cases. I noticed a big jump when they cancelled the YVR to MCO direct flight so now everyone has to route through YYC or YYZ.
yeah I was wondering about their direct flight and was wondering if I could find that. I definitely don't want to reroute through Pearson again and their direct one is gone!

yeah I was wondering about their direct flight and was wondering if I could find that. I definitely don't want to reroute through Pearson again and their direct one is gone!

Yeah, the only option now (for us) is to red-eye through YYZ or overnight in YVR or YYC. I would connect through YYC if you're based in YVR right now.

Yeah, the only option now (for us) is to red-eye through YYZ or overnight in YVR or YYC. I would connect through YYC if you're based in YVR right now.
I'm in Edmonton, which leaves a few options, some going south to Denver and stuff and crossing to Orlando from there. Anything to avoid Pearson, lol.

But yeah, the late flight into Pearson followed by a 6-7 hour wait until the morning flight seems REALLY annoying.

I'm strictly working from memory here, but if I recall correctly the flight schedules w/WJ were much better than AC last time I checked (IE - AC has multiple stops, weird arrival/departure times - just generally less convenient options).

We've flown Delta the last couple of times, and their service/aircraft have been excellent. Our last flight was a codeshare with WJ. The way down was WJ, the way back was Delta and the difference in service, food, entertainment options etc... was remarkable. We have a WJ mastercard now, but if not we for sure would book Delta every time.

I split the diff - outbound is Westjet, Inbound is Air Canada 🤪 for my September trip. …and it was $730 combined 😭 Flight prices are awful right now. I could have still flown WJ home, but I would have had a 5 hour layover in Toronto, so chose the AC flight.

Imo,WJ may have better prices here and there ,but AC is better as far as flight times and amount of flights to my destinations,imo.I remember once asking about a flight to aruba on a saturday with Wj because I was concerned about connection times in toronto from ottawa in winter.I was told I would be able to be put on the next flight,but that wasn't until the following Monday,2 days later.WJ for me is,hope for the best but expect the worst,IF you dare.

I'm strictly working from memory here, but if I recall correctly the flight schedules w/WJ were much better than AC last time I checked (IE - AC has multiple stops, weird arrival/departure times - just generally less convenient options).

We've flown Delta the last couple of times, and their service/aircraft have been excellent. Our last flight was a codeshare with WJ. The way down was WJ, the way back was Delta and the difference in service, food, entertainment options etc... was remarkable. We have a WJ mastercard now, but if not we for sure would book Delta every time.
Yeah, I've found the same thing to be true- Air Canada has the WEIRDEST times to fly in to Florida- who wants to arrive at 8-9 pm at night? In pitch darkness and with everything closing soon?

I split the diff - outbound is Westjet, Inbound is Air Canada 🤪 for my September trip. …and it was $730 combined 😭 Flight prices are awful right now. I could have still flown WJ home, but I would have had a 5 hour layover in Toronto, so chose the AC flight.
I WISH my flights could be that cheap combined. Going form Edmonton to Orlando and back seems to be $800-1000 no matter what.

Yeah, I've found the same thing to be true- Air Canada has the WEIRDEST times to fly in to Florida- who wants to arrive at 8-9 pm at night? In pitch darkness and with everything closing soon?
I mean....I'm doing the Dopey Challenge and flying in on the Tuesday just incase there's a snow storm or something (so flying Tuesday gives me a 1 day buffer) but because I don't really care about going to the parks or anything, the 8pm arrival flight works perfectly for me.

Also, not everyone flying to MCO is going for the theme parks ;)

I recently booked AC flight YOW - MCO 6am depart arrive around 10 ish or whatever Direct flight return MCO depart at 1030 ish arrive 1pm ish direct flight (seat selection to get us all together (3) ) NO bags $1875 Tuesday to Tuesday.

the upgrades i scouted didnt reflect fair value so i will pay for the bags as we go. (all planned and budgeted)

Our vacation is to go in January 24 - 31

Staying at POP the entire time with 6 days of passes plus memory maker ($3300) usd :( I hope some sort of promo pops before we go to alleviate some of this trip anxiety i get the more i hear dollar crashes price increases COST of disney etc.

Now saying this of course i start freaking about our Canadian dollar as When i budgeted i used simple calc of .75 or 1.25 exchange.
It is higher than this atm but have fears of TANKING dollar. and will it make the vacation be achievable?

BUDGETED: $3300 usd for tix room and mem maker. = @ estimated .75 is $4125 if our dollar drops below this figure our budget needs to be shifted to compensate. Doesnt sound like much BUT:
  • Currently Budgeted $3300 = $4125 cdn using .75
  • if dollar drops even .01 to .74 it equates to additional cost of $4158 Differential of $28 doesnt seem to bad except thats JUST our room and tickets and photos. if the overall budget is 10k cdn(which ours is)
  • sub the flight 1875 (purchased) = $8125cdn TOTAL remaining
  • sub the package(no disc) $3300usd -> $4125cdn @ .75 = $4000 cdn TOTAL remaining
  • sub FOOD budget ($1575usd) -> $1968 cdn based on ($25-pp/each meal 3x day)= $2032cdn TOTAL remaining
  • sub transport fees (magic bus + bags + stroller ) $350est usd = $438cdn = $1595cdn TOTAL remaining
  • GENIE+ ? (on the fence and will or will not apply) 6 days @ $60 =$360usd = 450 cdn = $1100 TOTAL remaining
  • going to need some cash? $250 ish? $312 cdn = $775 cdn TOTAL remaining or $620 usd
  • SO this is what we have left for gifts merch ears special anythings outside the scope of budget.
So keeping that in mind thats all calculated at a Cdn Dollar at .75 TOTAL SPENT IN USD: $6455

TOTAL USD COST est. $6455 @ .75 = $8069cdn // ($deflate) .74 = $8198 // ($deflate) .73 = $8263

so with a mear 2 pt drop in value it will cost us and additional $200 my fear is between NOW and trip potentially worse exchange.

So am i panicking for no reason? Is this a normal first time Disney scare and easily managed? I have accounted for wiggle room but am wondering is there a point i need to consider cancel? i could always change resort if needed to compensate (maybe if available) but then we have more headache with travel to from etc. and with our little one that in itself is the biggest fear.

Cheers all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter