when checking a child's booster, how to wrap/package it?

KathleensKid

Mouseketeer
I called Airtran and know that i can check the kids' backless boosters for free. We are renting a car and will need them. Yes I know I can rent them, but want to save some money and use our own.

Question though - they'll be tossed in with all the luggage and arrive on the conveyor belt, etc. I am worried about damage/grime and the fabric covers being destroyed. I can remove the fabric covers, but how should/can I package the plastic bases? Anyone with experience with this? Did you just toss them w/the luggage or did you wrap them somehow. The Airtran guy on the phone was nice but had no suggestions.

TIA!

If its a backless booster you should be able to just pop it in the overhead compartment. It may mean less room for you to bring a carry on, but it will arrive safe and clean
The other option is gate checking. I think most people just stick it in a plastic bag and seal it shut

I called Airtran and know that i can check the kids' backless boosters for free. We are renting a car and will need them. Yes I know I can rent them, but want to save some money and use our own.

Question though - they'll be tossed in with all the luggage and arrive on the conveyor belt, etc. I am worried about damage/grime and the fabric covers being destroyed. I can remove the fabric covers, but how should/can I package the plastic bases? Anyone with experience with this? Did you just toss them w/the luggage or did you wrap them somehow. The Airtran guy on the phone was nice but had no suggestions.

TIA!

I would just put them in the overhead bin. FYI you do not need them in Florida by law though I do agree the kids are safer in them.

Denise in MI

I would just put them in the overhead bin. FYI you do not need them in Florida by law though I do agree the kids are safer in them.

Denise in MI

Airtran guy said they can't go thru security and will need to be checked at the ticket counter. Don't know whether this is true for all airlines of not. Otherwise, I'd up them in the overhead bins.

In Florida there isn't a need for booster seats in rental cars (for 5 and 7 yr olds)?

Yeah, Florida has crappy carseat laws. I am sitting on a plane now, and boosters can go through security. The airline has no control of that. Just can't use them on the plane so must go in overhead.

You could buy an inexpensive small suitcase to put them both in and then pack some clothing around them so they don't get tossed around. At the very least, you'll want to put them in some sort of bag to protect them from all of the dirt & grime that they'll encounter on the conveyor belts & in the cargo hold.

I've personally brought a booster aboard a plane and stowed it in the overhead. I bet the person you spoke was thinking of *using* a booster on a plane, which is prohibited during taxi, take-off, and landing. It's explicitly allowed during the cruise portion of the flight on Air Tran. See here:
Booster-type child seats, vest and harness-type systems, and lap held child belts are not approved for use in the aircraft during movement on the surface, taxi, takeoff and landing; they may be used during cruise flight only.
As PP said, security will allow the booster through...has to be x-rayed just like all other carry-ons.

The only way to be certain that it will arrive with you at your destination, undamaged, is to transport it yourself and bring it aboard the plane. Otherwise, it's subject to all of the risk of damage and loss that other checked items bear.

Denise in MI

Yes. Totally agree on both.

Airtran guy said they can't go thru security and will need to be checked at the ticket counter. Don't know whether this is true for all airlines of not. Otherwise, I'd up them in the overhead bins.

In Florida there isn't a need for booster seats in rental cars (for 5 and 7 yr olds)?

I have brought them through no problem. You just can't use them on the flight.

As other poster said, FL has stinky safety laws.

Interesting, if I'm reading this correctly, only children under 3 need car seats/boosters in FL.
In VA, you need one until age 8.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

You're reading it correctly. My DD is 9 and still uses a booster due to her height.

My friend packed her son't in a winter boot box... had a handle, was heavy duty and her son carried it like it was a suitcase. At the counter they showed what it was and checked it for free. (I would take it as the carry on and stow it over head) Stick it in a back pack so it is easy to carry?

Yeah, Florida has crappy carseat laws. I am sitting on a plane now, and boosters can go through security. The airline has no control of that. Just can't use them on the plane so must go in overhead.

That is absolute nonsense. Shame on this misinformed AirTran employee. By the way, airlines don't set security policy, the TSA does.

Of course you can take your booster seat through security. If you gate check or check at the check-in counter, put the seat in a heavy plastic bag or box. These can get really trashed if they are not protected.

Thanks everyone. The DIS rocks. I knew I could count on you for info.
We'll take them to the gate and see what happens. Hopefully they can go in the carry on overhead bins
If we have to check them, I'll have an old duffle bag to cover them with.

Shocked at the lax FL child seat laws! I'm surprised, if nothing else, that the car seat manufacturers haven't forced politicians (bribed, donated to campaigns, etc) to up the age limit in order to sell more seats and make more money!

Shocked at the lax FL child seat laws! I'm surprised, if nothing else, that the car seat manufacturers haven't forced politicians (bribed, donated to campaigns, etc) to up the age limit in order to sell more seats and make more money!

Florida politicians care more about tourism dollars than the wants of carseat manufacturers. Having bare minimum car seat laws makes it easier for families to travel in Florida.

Florida politicians care more about tourism dollars than the wants of carseat manufacturers. Having bare minimum car seat laws makes it easier for families to travel in Florida.

Does the car seat law really matter? Any responsible parent would use a car seat or booster whether required by law or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter