Wheelchair Question

MINNIEANN MOUSE

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
I have a friend that will be going on the Disney Dream next week. My question is, she’s bringing along her elderly mother who has some mobility issues. Although she navigates pretty well considering, she will most likely need a wheelchair to get from the cruise to down the path to the tram at Cataway Cay and back at the end of the day. Short distances she would rather walk, but long distance she simply cannot. Where can they arrange for a wheelchair just for this particular situation? TIA

A couple of thoughts. If you have not visited the [disability page]. Though you may have to rent from an outside vendor, and just store it in the cabin. They may also provide some additional options like a trip in a golf cart as well. Happy sailing.

I would rent a wheelchair from a home-town vendor so you could have it when you arrive to check-in then board the ship. There isn't much seating in the cruise terminal, and it's a bit of a hike from the car/shuttle (whatever method of transportation you're using to get to the terminal) and it does add up. Leaving the ship and heading through customs to transportation is also a hike with standing in lines.

If you're flying, it's also nice to have a wheelchair for the airports.

DMIL had mobility issues and she tried to tough it out and not use her wheelchair to go to dinner on our cruises. The motion of the ocean, tho slight, didn't help her balance and she had a nasty fall. After that we insisted she use her wheelchair most of the time.

Either bring or rent a wheelchair. Even though she can walk short distances on land, those short distances on a moving ship can be treacherous. Maybe make (or have someone make for you) a cute sign for her wheelchair; or a cute bag for her wheelchair.

We did back to back cruises this fall. The first was Quebec to NYC, followed by the NYC->Bermuda->NYC. We tried to find some to rent us a wheelchair for my wife, but had a problem finding someone that would rent in Quebec and let us leave in NYC. Ended up buying a chair on Amazon. We did not have accessible staterooms for those cruises so had to collapse the wheelchair to get into the room. You may have issues finding space in a elevator on the ship, so be prepared to go in the opposite direction if you find and elevator with room. It will eventually go in the direction you want. The aft elevators seemed to be less crowded. My wife also found that it was easier to do breakfast/lunch in the MDR that was open, rather than trying to maneuver through crowded Cabanas.

Good luck on excursions. We just finished a Southern Caribbean cruise. Most excursions were fine, but one an Antigua did not have storage on the bus for the chair and had her leave it where we started. She did OK at the first stop, stayed on the bus at the second and tried to walk with her cane at the last one, but gave up. Looking at the excursion description, it did say that wheelchairs had to be collapsible, so we should have been able to bring along.

In general the crew and most guest were very helpful.

There are several companies in Orlando that rent wheelchairs. I've read that some will even deliver to the motels (maybe the ship). You can probably get more information on the DisAbilities section.

There are beach wheelchairs (with huge round wheels) at CC that are free to use -- first come first serve basis.

I recommend they bring/rent a wheelchair. I honestly don't know if they could arrange for specifically "to get from the cruise to down the path to the tram at Cataway Cay and back at the end of the day" or not -- possibly. But unless mom completely intends to remain onboard at all ports, there is a chance of long walks from the ship and down the pier at several ports of call depending on berth. And if she finds she doesn't have as strong sea-legs as expected, the wheelchair will be available for around the ship. Another option might be a rollator, which is a walking with a seat. It may be less expensive, but they would want to price out rentals as well as buying.

PP is correct about the beach wheelchairs, though these would not be intended for use just between the ship and the tram, someone would need to push it to the beach.

Enjoy your cruise!

We usually book an accessible cabin. We don’t take the Ecv down to the pier but we have been able to get the island taxi (golf cart) to the family beach. Once we find a shaded spot near the back DH sits and relaxes until it’s time for lunch.

If you are considering buying a wheelchair, see if there is a Goodwill Medical in your area. Over several visits we purchased an ECV, blood pressure monitor and some canes from the location near us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter