wheelchair on cruise

debchuckrathbone

Earning My Ears
Can you rent a wheelchair aboard the cruise, or do you have to bring your own? Are the ports wheel chair accessible?

As far as I remember seeing they did not have wheelchairs on board for use, but I could be wrong here. They do have a "Sand" wheelchair for use on Castaway . I rented a power scooter from an off site place and used it on board. Yes you can get off the ship at most ports, however I am not sure about all of the western and eastern ports. Most islands are not up to ada due to being different countries they dont have to be. A lot of shops have steps up to the doors, and no ramps, stuff like that. I normally stay on board regardless, but if I do venture off I find the islands difficult.
Aimee

The ports that dock are wheelchair friendly--I'm not sure after you get into the town, but the port area is. The ports where you tender to a smaller boat (like the Western at Grand Cayman) could be a problem.

That said, there is plenty to do if you choose to stay on the ship.

People I've known have brought their own chairs. THe ship, of course, is accessible.

You could rent one on land in Orlando and bring it to the ship....

No, you cannot rent a wheelchair on the ship or at the port. Best solution is to contact a company in Orlando (name and phone number should be available from Memb. Serv) - they will deliver to the Port and pick up after the cruise. Definitely a big help while on board - we went off at Freeport with it and no problems. Vans are available to take you places on the islands but you would need to be able to get out of the wheelchair and into the van, then they stick it folded up in the back of the van. They were very helpful.

I just booked a last minute 7 day cruise on Feb. 14 for myself, my aunt, and my grandmother. I am going a little crazy with the details right now!! We will be taking my grandmother's wheel chair, but I saw that someone posted they had a power scooter. Is that like the ones at the park? You can take those on the crusie? My aunt has bad knees and we alwasy rent one for her when we go to the parks from Walker Mobility and it would make our vacation so much better if we had one on the ship. Can we rent one in Port Canaveral or is it better to get it from Orlando?
Will it fit in the room?

So much to do, but I can't wait!!

chrissy :hyper:

There is a local vendor who rents wheelchairs. They'll deliver the chair directly to the ship and pick it up after your cruise. No hassle. The fee is $100 for the week.

Brevard Medical Equipment
91 E Merritt Island Causeway
Merritt Island FL 32953
321-453-3370
866-416-7383 (toll free)

Here is another supplier for wheelchairs that deliver and pick up right at the port.

http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

We used them for our Wonder trip last September for my 82 year old Aunt.

No problems at all with the rental and they were very nice and efficient. They put a label with your name and cabin number right on the chair in several spots so there is no question who it is rented to.

Just be warned....our wheelchair was "hijacked" one night. I did not want to leave it folded up in our stateroom as I knew my aunt could trip on it in the night. I kept it outside our room in a little alcove in the hallway. One morning we woke up and it was gone. Asked our room steward and he had no idea where it was but he did see it the night before.

Called guest services and they were going to bring up a replacement and have security try to locate it...got a call 20 minutes later that they had found the wheelchair 2 decks down and on at the other end of the ship!!! They delivered it to our cabin.

MJ

We rented from Brevard Medical Center December '02 for my DM - service and chair were wonderful although it was the push kind of chair - sorry, don't know the technical name. My parents didn't have any problems with it - kept it in the hall when they were in theie cabin. Someone in a room close to theirs kept theirs in the hallway as well and it was a powered chair.

Thanks for all the rental place suggestions. This will make our vacation soooo much better. I am still a little concerned about the mobility of a EVC/power scooter on the cruise. Can it pretty much go anywhere we go, the theatre, the restaurants, and the pool? Is there a place to charge it at night? If anyone has used one did it really help make your vacation better or was it a hassle?
Thanks, chrissy

I will check around on this today and see if it is available - also I am going to check with brevard Medical and see why an electrical wheelchair can't be offered instead of the push one - sees it would make things easier - will post later - Norm isn't up to par ---again.
Much love to all
Always
Shirley

Brevard does rent power chairs, thats who I used for the cruise part of my trip. The power chair was easy to use thruout the ship. My only complaint about the chair was that it was it wasnt charged when I got it, so I ran out of juice reallllllyyyy fast. I had a handicapped room and had no problem plugging in for charging at nite.
Aimee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter