Wheelchair charge

Should wheelchair charge be included in ticket price?

• Yes. Handicapped people should not have to worry about bringing their own wheelchair

• No. Handicapped people are responsible to bring their own wheelchair

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devin Barr

Earning My Ears
When my family and I arrive to Disney's Animal Kingdom to celebrate Sophia's 5th birthday we were all filled with joy and excitement. I got off the bus to quickly try to find a wheelchair for Lauren(Sophia's Mother). There was one wheelchair there at said complimentary wheelchair to the park. So I grabbed and then headed through security and the gate to enter the park. The guy at the gate said you can exchange your wheelchair over there and pointed to his right. I thought to myself that was really odd and that the wheelchair she was in was fine so we just continued through the park. About 20 minutes later one of the park workers comes up to me and says sharply you're not supposed to have this wheelchair. He explained to me that this was just a wheelchair to get to the park entrance and that we had to rent a wheelchair from the resort. I was speechless... I was finally able to muster some words by asking him if this was some kind of sick joke as I looked around for some hidden cameras to come out and say that I was getting pranked. But that was not the case he insisted that we had to go back to the main gate and rent a wheelchair. I said so you're telling me that Disney thanks it's acceptable to charge a fee that targets Disabled Vets, elderly, and anyone with a physical disability?! I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor offered to give us a wheelchair at no charge but I explained to her that it wasn't the charge that upset me. It's the fact that Walt Disney a quote-unquote family company is targeting disabled people to increase Revenue. And don't get me wrong I am all for increasing revenues where it is possible but I do not think we should target disabled people. I believe the fact that they have to live their life disabled a steep enough price itself and we should only want to help these people in any way possible and if that means paying a little extra somewhere else I would be happy to do so and I would like to think that most people with a decent heart would agree with me. I am sick of sitting back and watching Society allow stuff like this to happen because at the end of the day it's not Walt Disney's fault it's our fault for allowing it to happen. With that being said we will be trying to raise awareness and boycotting Disney with hopes that they will change their immoral policy. I invite you to take a stand with us and try to make this great country a better place for everybody. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
When my family and I arrive to Disney's Animal Kingdom to celebrate Sophia's 5th birthday we were all filled with joy and excitement. I got off the bus to quickly try to find a wheelchair for Lauren. There was one wheelchair there at said complimentary wheelchair to the park. So I grabbed and then headed through security and the gate to enter the park. The guy at the gate said you can exchange your wheelchair over there and pointed to his right. I thought to myself that was really odd and that the wheelchair she was in was fine so we just continued through the park. About 20 minutes later one of the park workers comes up to me and says sharply you're not supposed to have this wheelchair. He explained to me that this was just a wheelchair to get to the park entrance and that we had to rent a wheelchair from the resort. I was speechless... I was finally able to muster some words by asking him if this was some kind of sick joke as I looked around for some hidden cameras to come out and say that I was getting pranked. But that was not the case he insisted that we had to go back to the main gate and rent a wheelchair. I said so you're telling me that Disney thanks it's acceptable to charge a fee that targets Disabled Vets, elderly, and anyone with a physical disability?! I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor offered to give us a wheelchair at no charge but I explained to her that it wasn't the charge that upset me. It's the fact that Walt Disney a quote-unquote family company is targeting disabled people to increase Revenue. And don't get me wrong I am all for increasing revenues where it is possible but I do not think we should target disabled people. I believe the fact that they have to live their life disabled a steep enough price itself and we should only want to help these people in any way possible and if that means paying a little extra somewhere else I would be happy to do so and I would like to think that most people with a decent heart would agree with me. I am sick of sitting back and watching Society allow stuff like this to happen because at the end of the day it's not Walt Disney's fault it's our fault for allowing it to happen. With that being said we will be trying to raise awareness and boycotting Disney with hopes that they will change their immoral policy. I invite you to take a stand with us and try to make this great country a better place for everybody. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Giving the benefit of doubt here that this is genuine upset.

No, Disney World is not targeting disabled people. They have made nearly all lines wheelchair and scooter accessible, offer alternate routes when the lines are not accessible, offer chef consultations for allergies and diet restrictions. Their buses are all equipped to transport wheelchairs and scooters.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/guests-with-disabilities/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/guests-with-disabilities/park-wheelchair-rental/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

They rent wheelchairs and ECVs for use within the parks, yes. They are subject to availability, so if there is great demand, they may run out. They are not complimentary, but that information is available for you to find in their FAQ. Stroller rentals are available for parents who require one but didn't bring their own, and that doesn't mean Disney is exploiting or targeting parents, either.

If your child requires a wheelchair and you will not be bringing your own, it's a good idea to research options before arriving at a theme park so you know what to expect.

I think you should re-read the post because you missed my point.

Parents can choose to use a strollers to make their experience easier. Disabled people need a wheelchair to make their experience possible.

This is going to sound harsh, but wheelchair users can bring their own chair to make their experience easier. It's not impossible to experience Disney without Disney providing a chair free of charge. As you well know, wheelchairs are expensive and it's not Disney's responsibility to foot that charge

Disney is not only accessible, but they go out of their way to assist those with disabilities. An example is DAS.

If you want to boycott Disney - go for it. But plenty of wheelchair users visit Disney every single day and are completely happy with their experiences.

Your point is well understood, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.

Where else do you go that you get a free wheelchair? Genuinely curious.

Parents can choose to use a strollers to make their experience easier. Disabled people need a wheelchair to make their experience possible.

Different people need different tools (and a wheelchair or scooter is a tool) in order to comfortably visit the parks. Disney should by no means be expected to hand out those tools free of cost. Doing so would be reckless, as they would end up being used by people who really didn't need them, and abused and damaged.

Did you not do any research before your trip?

No, I didn’t miss your point. I think it’s your responsibility to be prepared for your child or partner’s needs. Disney’s site has the info you would have needed. Even if the wheelchairs were free, they are first come, first served and they can and do run out. And they do a ton to make the park accessible to disabled people. They just expect you to know what mobility devices you will need and come prepared. You weren’t prepared and they offered the chair for free. There is no mercenary targeting of disabled people happening here.

Also, a stroller can be just as much of a necessity. Some strollers are used as wheelchairs for very young disabled children. And I have an invisible disabilty that causes me a lot of pain and trouble walking. If I traveled to Disney with a small child, I would need a stroller because I physically could not carry a child around the parks. I wouldn’t expect them freely available, I’d expect to make sure I’d have what I need. The same way I research in advance to accomodate my other needs.

There are a lot of issues in the world with accessibility. Disney World charging $12 for a wheelchair rental just isn’t one of them. It’s not like they are preventing you from bringing your own mobility device.

Last edited:

Suppose that you got your way, OP, and wheelchairs were provided to the disabled, free of charge.

Well... then... you would have to "prove" your disability to get said wheelchair. Which is the very basis of the ADA - NOT having to provide proof !!!!

Aside from an ADA violation at the core of its principles, also imagine how many able-bodied people would try and "game the system" for a free wheelchair... if you are a family with disabled members, you have more than likely seen this kind of behavior. :(

That "complimentary wheelchair" you grabbed and tried to abscond with? That's the wheelchair they use when someone falls unconscious to transport them to medical services. That's the wheelchair they use to transport a guest who has just fallen at Tom Sawyer Island and broken a bone. That's the wheelchair they use when Great-Uncle Bob grabs his chest suddenly after a cheeseburger. That's NOT a wheelchair for guests to use ; that's the CM's wheelchair to assist any guests who may need help!

First of all, glad Disney was able to provide you with a chair. I am curious to know why, if you knew your child needed a wheelchair to get around, did you not bring one with you? What do you do on a daily basis or at your hotel? I don't think they are targeting disabled people at all because you don't have to rent one from them. I don't see anything immoral here.

This is going to sound harsh, but wheelchair users can bring their own chair to make their experience easier. It's not impossible to experience Disney without Disney providing a chair free of charge. As you well know, wheelchairs are expensive and it's not Disney's responsibility to foot that charge

Disney is not only accessible, but they go out of their way to assist those with disabilities. An example is DAS.

If you want to boycott Disney - go for it. But plenty of wheelchair users visit Disney every single day and are completely happy with their experiences.

Your point is well understood, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.

Where else do you go that you get a free wheelchair? Genuinely curious.

Grocery stores, retail stores, airports, hospitals

No, I didn’t miss your point. I think it’s your responsibility to be prepared for your child’s needs. Disney’s site has the info you would have needed. Even if the wheelchairs were free, they are first come, first served and they can and do run out. And they do a ton to make the park accessible to disabled people. They just expect you to know what mobility devices you will need and come prepared. You weren’t prepared and they offered the chair for free. There is no mercenary targeting of disabled people happening here.

Also, a stroller can be just as much of a necessity. Some strollers are used as wheelchairs for very young disabled children. And I have an invisible disabilty that causes me a lot of pain and trouble walking. If I traveled to Disney with a small child, I would need a stroller because I physically could not carry a child around the parks. I wouldn’t expect them freely available, I’d expect to make sure I’d have what I need. The same way I research in advance to accomodate my other needs.

There are a lot of issues in the world with accessibility. Disney World charging $12 for a wheelchair rental just isn’t one of them. It’s not like they are preventing you from bringing your own mobility device.

Okay you are missing my point. I am saying that I think it is immoral to charge for a wheelchair. I understand that a lot of people will disagree but if I was not say anything I would not be able to sleep because I would feel like a terrible person. Again it's not the $12 that upsets me it's the fact that they targeting disabled people to increase revenue. Again obviously this is my opinion and how I feel and have nothing but respect for you people who disagree with me just stating how it makes me feel.

Suppose that you got your way, OP, and wheelchairs were provided to the disabled, free of charge.

Well... then... you would have to "prove" your disability to get said wheelchair. Which is the very basis of the ADA - NOT having to provide proof !!!!

Aside from an ADA violation at the core of its principles, also imagine how many able-bodied people would try and "game the system" for a free wheelchair... if you are a family with disabled members, you have more than likely seen this kind of behavior. :(

That "complimentary wheelchair" you grabbed and tried to abscond with? That's the wheelchair they use when someone falls unconscious to transport them to medical services. That's the wheelchair they use to transport a guest who has just fallen at Tom Sawyer Island and broken a bone. That's the wheelchair they use when Great-Uncle Bob grabs his chest suddenly after a cheeseburger. That's NOT a wheelchair for guests to use ; that's the CM's wheelchair to assist any guests who may need help!

Very good question. I would suggest using the same way for handicap parking. When my girlfriend got her handicap parking she also got a card saying that she was physically disabled. I personally don't think able body people would want to con a free wheelchair but I could be wrong. And besides that would be a better way to deal with that problem than just saying hey let's charge the disabled people. As far as the complementary wheelchair you are a hundred percent wrong. I asked them about that and they said yes it was just a complimentary wheelchair to get her from the bus to the gate. And besides I would think they would have better medical equipment than a wheelchair because of someone hurt their neck, I don't think they're going to want to throw them in a wheelchair.

Clarification it is not Sophia who has the disability. Lauren is 29 years olds and has HSP(hereditary spastic paraplegic)

Very good question. I would suggest using the same way for handicap parking. When my girlfriend got her handicap parking she also got a card saying that she was physically disabled. I personally don't think able body people would want to con a free wheelchair but I could be wrong. And besides that would be a better way to deal with that problem than just saying hey let's charge the disabled people. As far as the complementary wheelchair you are a hundred percent wrong. I asked them about that and they said yes it was just a complimentary wheelchair to get her from the bus to the gate. And besides I would think they would have better medical equipment than a wheelchair because of someone hurt their neck, I don't think they're going to want to throw them in a wheelchair.

Is Disney required to make wheelchairs available at all? I've seen courtesy ones at the grocery stores. The ones at hospitals and airports are generally used to get from point A ( plane or bus, etc.) to point B. They are also pushed by staff. I still don't see how Disney is singling out disabled people. Off-site medical companies charge for their wheelchair rentals. Disney is just making some available for rent on their property. Again, if the person knows they need a wheelchair (or any medical device), why would they not make arrangements ahead of time, i.e., bring the chair you use daily or set aside the fees to rent one from Disney or offsite.

Well it is immoral to me. I don't believe we should be charging disabled vets, elderly and physically disabled people. I think the rest of us able bodies should show a little compassion for those who are not as fortunate as us able-bodied. Again it's not about the money it's about the principle. This is my opinion and I thank you all for voicing your opinions too.

I have a family member who also needs a weelchair and I would never expect a company to provide a wheel chair free of use for 12 hours.
I use a personal scooter. And instead of renting one, my husband purchased one as a Mother's day gift for me.

Same thing happened when I needed a cane. We purchased one.

I can't imagine relying on others to take of my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts