What's Your Disneyworld Pet Peeve?

Fanatics are often the biggest critics. I've always wondered that about the people who hated everything about those most recent three Star Wars movies, but who were also the first ones in line to see the opening-day midnight showings or to buy the DVDs.

:thumbsup2 agree! Plus we all obviously hold Disney to a VERY high standard so on the rare occasions when they don't deliver, we gripe :rotfl:

The only thing that really bugs me is people with strollers who think they have the right of way simply because they have a child with them. No reason to hit my legs with your stroller! Especially if your kid's feet are dragging on the ground while doing so.

That is awful, awful opera etiquette! There are sub/super-titles for a reason! Even without them, people have enjoyed opera in a language they do not understand for centuries. Maybe this person would prefer musical theater...

Sent from me.

I find the sub/super-titles very disconcerting! We saw Les Miserables in Singapore, and although it was sung in English, the Chinese translation ran across a panel at the top of the stage. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the stage (DH says I have the attention span of a flea!).

Queen Colleen

I find the sub/super-titles very disconcerting! We saw Les Miserables in Singapore, and although it was sung in English, the Chinese translation ran across a panel at the top of the stage. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the stage (DH says I have the attention span of a flea!).

Queen Colleen

Musical theater is usually sing in the vernacular of wherever it is performed, while opera is (usually) not. My guess is there are enough English speakers in Singapore to still sing it in English and offer Chinese like we might Spanish. And yes, sometimes they can be distracting, the good thing about opera is we sometimes sing one sentence for 10 minutes, gives you plenty of time to stay caught up!

Sent from me.

People that complain about things that EVERYONE has to deal with: long lines, heat, crowds, etc.

the mariner rule is : port to port. if you are facing the bow (front of the ship/boat) the port is on your left. (remember this by port and left are each 4 letters. righta and starboard are each MORE than 4 letters)

on waterways, it is always port to port.
(and the red light is on the port side, the green light on the starboard side. remember this by remembering that port wine is red)

see this way if you see lights, maybe a boat, and you see a green light on the left and a red light on the right, you now the boat is coming TOWARDS you.

international waters, you always pass port to port.
I always remember 'red right returning'.
In any case....yes, it's cultural as to where to walk. But when in London, on those escalators, standing on the left and getting 'spoken' to about standing on the right, moving on the left, I quickly realized what was the custom there.
When walking in WDW, it's nice to have two traffic flows....one for each direction. When people just clump together and charge along the walkway, willy-nilly, it makes it hard to walk safely. I am continually banged into, pushed aside, and unseen. I have even been to move aside. It's common courtesy. But obviously meow a case of fend for yourselves.

I was at a local theater were they show broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera on a movie screen. Over the summer, they have encore performances of the previous season. I went to go see 'La Traviata', and there was this older lady sitting behind me translating the lyrics for her friend. I totally turned around and gave her 'the look'. Thankfully she got it. If not I was ready to let her know that there are sub-titles on the screen!!!!!

That is awful, awful opera etiquette! There are sub/super-titles for a reason! Even without them, people have enjoyed opera in a language they do not understand for centuries. Maybe this person would prefer musical theater...

Sent from me.
Perhaps her friend was unable to read the sub/super titles.

Queen Colleen
I absolutely love sub/super titles. They are the only way I can understand the words in whatever language is used. I can go watch my daughter perform with the orchestra (even though I can no longer hear her instrument) and understand what is happening. For a while she did the supertitles for the opera while she was on a medical leave of absence from her orchestra.

-People who take photos on rides, flash or no flash (but I only yell at the people who use flash, non-flash photos is more my own pet peeve)

-Parents who yell at their children "I spent xxxx amount of money to go to Disney and you're going to smile and like it!"

-When someone doesn't go up on Dumbo, just stays at the bottom. I know this is more my own weird little thing, but you know the ride goes up, GO UP. I don't know why that has always bothered me so much. It's a silly thing I know, but it just irks me.

-When people scream on Maelstrom. Come on people, it's Maelstrom.

-When people don't dress appropriately

-Large groups of chanting people. Why must they chant? I don't get it.

-Children with glowsticks on dark rides.

Oops lol, my kids were guilty of two of your peeves. My then 3 yr old ds was afraid to go high on dumbo and wouldn't let DH take it up higher, so he stayed at the bottom:rotfl: Come on, seriously, Dumbo is a kiddie ride after all. I didn't realize there was a right or wrong way to operate the dumbo :rotfl2:

My dd at 5yrs old was afraid of the really dark rides and used a glowstick for courage, I guess sometimes adults forget what it was like to be a child who have fears that are all to real for them , however irrational they may be in reality.

Okay, after seeing your age this list totally makes sense. :thumbsup2

-People who take photos on rides, flash or no flash (but I only yell at the people who use flash, non-flash photos is more my own pet peeve)

-Parents who yell at their children "I spent xxxx amount of money to go to Disney and you're going to smile and like it!"

-When someone doesn't go up on Dumbo, just stays at the bottom. I know this is more my own weird little thing, but you know the ride goes up, GO UP. I don't know why that has always bothered me so much. It's a silly thing I know, but it just irks me.

-When people scream on Maelstrom. Come on people, it's Maelstrom.

-When people don't dress appropriately

-Large groups of chanting people. Why must they chant? I don't get it.

-Children with glowsticks on dark rides.

When we were at The Beauty and the Beast show at HS last month, a mother (sitting behind us) translated the entire show to her daughter in Spanish. She wasn't whispering quietly either.

Okay, I get the dialogue having to be translated, but when the characters burst forth in song, does that need to be translated too??? :confused3 Come on, can't you just enjoy the music in another language??? And the daughter was about ten for crying out loud. I'm sure she has seen the movie a million times in Spanish.....she knows what the songs are about. :furious:

Sorry to get all worked up about this. I'm fine now. :goodvibes
It was just really annoying.

I disagree with you on this. The songs are the bulk of the show and need to be translated just as anything else. Missing part of songs is very frustrating no matter ow many times you have seen the movie.

Well not hearing most of the dialogue or the songs because the person behind you is speaking another language through an entire show is pretty frustrating too! :confused3

If I went to a play or the movie theatre and talked the entire time, would that be tolerated or accepted? No way! Nor should it be.

Folks who cannot follow simple directions.

Last time at WDW and eating lunch we saw a sign that clearly said " Please do not feed the birds." Some knuckleheads sitting in front of the sign fed a bird a whole hotdog and a tray of fries. They were laughing and speaking English...so yes they could hopefully read English; no excuse. That poor bird probably had the worst night of his life. He could have used a Tums after that fiasco!:sad2:

People who complain on the Dis about every thing they can think of about Disney, then turn around and go back as soon as they can. If there's that many things that you see 'wrong', why do you even want to be there? They won't ever be 'perfect'. :confused3

The dress code of some - or 'lack' thereof.

For every reason I dislike Disney, there are 1000 oter things that balance that out and make me want to go back :)

People complain about their children all the time, does that mean they should stop caring for them? They willingly chose to have those children, so they can't gripe about them?

Pixie Dust for Thought :goodvibes

For every reason I dislike Disney, there are 1000 oter things that balance that out and make me want to go back :)

People complain about their children all the time, does that mean they should stop caring for them? They willingly chose to have those children, so they can't gripe about them?

very wise for someone so young!

So true. Sorry I didn't notice your age when I replied to your other post. ;) It makes sense now.

My pet peeve is the cost of going to WDW, and that it's so far away.

I think it is way over-priced, yet I'm willing to pay the price to go. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter