What's the recipe for "Disney Magic"

tiggerstheman1

Earning My Ears
Rather than beat the dead horse about any particular attraction, TTM1 would rather take a peek at the "Disney Experience" instead.

What I'm getting at is that I think that thing we call "Disney Magic" is the result of several things and when we go into the parks those things come together and we all stand around and go "if only I could live here forever.....". I think the basic, common element that exists is that we connect with the idea of a Utopia of sorts. When I think of Disney I think of watching "The Wonderful World of Disney" on T.V. as a child where everything had a happy ending. I think of Disney movies, like "Herbie", or "The Worlds Greatest Athlete", that I saw as a child and, again, everything had a happy ending. If you are getting my drift, I think that one of the things we connect with is that we want to live in that "happy ending" world, at least for a bit.

The second thing I think that combines to form "Disney Magic" is directly connected to the first. The people at Disney, given some exceptions that always exist, work to create in that vast swampland in Flordia, a place that always seems to be a happy ending waiting to happen. It really used to bug me that everything was always so "perfect", but then I let go and allowed myself the whole experience and "Vooom", TiggersTheMan1 is born.
So, I think that the second item is that WDW is an environment that feels like a happy ending is coming your way - always. The cause of this feeling is the result of a carefully planned purpose (DVCLB: I know that the purpose may have faded but for this discussion I think it's valid) which is to create that environment where another happy ending is just around the next corner.

I think those two things come together best in the Magic Kingdom. Everywhere has the feeling that it's not a park, but a town. The people aren't employees, but just citizens. It isn't a place where you feel that you are intruding. I guess I put that up against MGM, just as a comparison, and I think of my "vibe" at MGM. I think I have more of a sense that I am "in" at place, but not "at" a place. I think of the shows and, although they are great and I really enjoy them, I never have the sense that I am not just watching someone do they're job. Whereas, in the MK, I never seem to have that feeling.

I don't know if the last paragraph makes any sense, but that's how a stream of conciousness works...

TTM1

Love your take on the happy ending.

I also agree with you. When I'm in MK, I feel the same way, as if I'm sharing the town with fellow citizens. I'm "IN" the Magic Kingdom, while when I'm visiting the other parks, I'm "AT" the park. Does that make sense?

My idea of the "way Disney should be" is this....

A vacation resort which is meticulously (SDK) maintained...but you don't see the maintenance happening....it's just like magic.

It's a resort which makes me feel like a child while I'm there....all of my worries from the every day world are gone....

A resort which has something for everyone....children, teens, adults, elderly, everyone...

A resort which may cost a little more to attend, but one which I know the profits are replaced through frequent expansion / re-discovering.

I personally think Walt had all of these items in mind when creating the parks & resorts. Does Ei$$ner or Pre$$$ler (the extra $ used to belong to me before they took it out of my pocket).

The Disney's resorts still have such loyalty & love primarily because of the traces of Walt which still exist in the parks today. But those won't last forever.

What has been built in the past 10 years which gives you the whole "10 year old in a 30 year old body"? What has the Disney company produced in the past 10 years which would make Walt proud to say "that came from the Disney company"?

Ok Mr. Ei$$ner,

Keep building parks on the cheap (DCA, AK)....keep expanding in ways which are blatantly designed to keep your hands in your guests pockets (the explosion of hotel expansion, all of the newer "premium" attractions, etc)...keep letting maintenance standards fall (a ladder left in the middle of a ride, ceiling tiles missing from IASW)...

Keep cutting corners, and let's see where the Disney resorts stack up in another 10 years. Maybe all of the Imagineers who flcoked to places such as Universal & Knotts will find a way to bring some magic to these places.

Heck, even six flags usually gives you something major to look forward to each season. I'm not saying they are in the same league as Disney quite yet, but at least they usually have some type of MAJOR new attraction each season.....can you say Disney has done that?

Whoa! Pull the reigns, please. Disney is the only place that has one foot in the past and one foot in the future. Try managing that everyday.

Eisner is far from perfect, but then again so is Sea World, Busch and Universal..........

I'll try to find the old thread on what makes a Disney attraction a Disney attraction, I think we went into a lot of this there.

This thread

Has a number of references to Disney Magic. And I think it discussus the same subject (in a more focused manner)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter