What's the most weight you've ever gained/lost while on a cruise?

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
We know most ppl gain weight during a cruise
I've always been curious about what's the most weight other fellow cruisers have gained or lost?

On our most recent 9-night I only gained 3 Lbs. - and I'm so proud of myself.
I usually gain 3-5 Lbs on a 7 night and that's because I walk a lot on deck 4 and use the stairs as much as possible.
This last cruise I hardly walked or used the stairs bc I was often tired and felt lazy every day - but knowing that, I ate way less, half the portions I usually have, and drank very little alcohol (a couple of tastings, 2-3 glasses of wine, 2-3 cocktails, but not even 1 beer in the whole cruise), compared to other cruises where I drink way more.

The most I ever gained? On the last WBPC I gained 12 Lbs (!!!) - I lost them since and more, but I was so mad with my gluttonous self.
The least? I once came back from a 7-night having gained 0 - that's one I remember bc I didn't use the elevator even once, walked lots on deck 4 and went to the gym 5/7 days - and ate normally, didn't skip meals or ate less, had a few cocktails/beer every day, etc.
Next cruise we take I'm committed to do the same - not use the elevator & walk my usual 3-5 miles - it really helps.

What about you?
What's the most you've ever gained on a cruise?
If you lost weight, please share your secret here.

Last edited:
I don't weigh myself after a cruise! I try to enjoy myself and not think about it (it's vacation!), and it usually all goes back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Edited to Add: That being said, I do try to take the stairs and walk as much as possible so I don't feel SUPER sluggish and gross.

I was on the WBPC March cruise. I gained 5 lbs and have since lost them. My strategy, because I am diabetic, was to think about what I was eating before I put it in my mouth. For example, I didn't snack much between meals, didn't go near the ice cream, and carefully selected desserts, restricted the soft drinks, and drank a bit not a lot. Also, before I left home I met with my doctor to get his advice on how to eat well but not gain too much weight. Okay, I will admit I did have 2 lobsters in one setting. It was worth it. Also, at dinner when the sugar free dessert didn't float my boat I asked for cut up fresh strawberries for dessert. The servers and chefs were so accommodating.

I don't tend to weigh myself before or after a cruise but when I do, tend to not lose or gain. That said I usually eat pretty plainly except for Palo brunch/dinner, save the desserts for ones that are amazing (so only a couple!), hit the gym daily and only take the elevator on embarkation/disembarkation. I'll definitely miss the walking track since on the Fab Four II try to walk around it two or three times after each meal so I'll have to be even more aware of my dining habits on the Wish.

I always gain on a Disney cruise but don't look too closely at the number, lol. I would guess about 5lbs or so. But we recently sailed another cruise line where the food was not good at all and I LOST 9lbs in one week, so I guess that the "secret" to losing weight is to go somewhere you hate the food? I would go to the buffet, load up a plate with everything on the menu, and end up eating watermelon for lunch because everything else was gross. Personally I'd rather just enjoy my vacation and embrace the extra pounds.

This is weird, but I weighed myself the morning we departed for four days at WDW (including EPCOT Food and Wine) and then on the same cruise (July 21-30 S. Caribb) as you. Did 20K+ steps every day (WDW and DCL) and a zillion flights of stairs on the ship.

Came home (late flight) and weighed in precisely the same. The following day, I was 2 lbs lighter (-2 lbs). The next following day, two more pounds lighter for a total of -4 lbs. I attribute it to living in extremely dry New Mexico and my super dry skin soaking up the WDW humidity and the sea air. :rotfl2:

The most I’ve ever gained was 8 lbs. on the Fantasy one year. My husband gained even more, but I cannot recall the exact amount. We’re both pretty small people, so we were quite happy. 😄

I have gained 1/2 lb each cruise except for the first and last of 8 cruises where I gained 1lb. I’m as surprised as you are, believe me! I’m over 235 and still don’t understand it. But I had self serve ice cream on the first and last cruise. Maybe I won’t do that anymore! Must be where the extra 1/2 lb came in!

I've only ever weigh less after a cruise. I seem to be more active (I often use the stairs) and I'm not eating because I'm bored so less junky snacks. The most I lost was 5 pounds on a 7 day Fantasy because it was so hot and I don't eat well when it is hot lol.

The most I have ever gained on a cruise has been 1.4 Lbs. Having lost 117 lbs 10 years ago, I'm obsessive about never gaining it back. I'm an early riser, hit the gym by 5:30 am or the jogging track daily. I consider the steps a continual workout (my wife hates that) and don't use the elevators. I do try and pick my poison when it comes to eating. I do not do the buffets for breakfast or lunch. But I do have a weakness for Palo brunch, Palo dinner, and Remy dinner. Other than Palo brunch, dinner is the only time I have dessert.

I lost 5 pounds on a 4 night November 2019 cruise. I caught a digestive bug after boarding the ship. Thought at first I might be a little car sick. Never got to eat at any of the dining rooms. Had to force my husband to eat alone. Tried medics but they couldn’t do anything other then pepto. I felt fine, just couldn’t keep anything inside. Even green apples and ginger ale didn’t help. No fever. I was glad I had a 5E room. Ugh. My husband never got sick.

The most I have ever gained on a cruise has been 1.4 Lbs. Having lost 117 lbs 10 years ago, I'm obsessive about never gaining it back. I'm an early riser, hit the gym by 5:30 am or the jogging track daily. I consider the steps a continual workout (my wife hates that) and don't use the elevators. I do try and pick my poison when it comes to eating. I do not do the buffets for breakfast or lunch. But I do have a weakness for Palo brunch, Palo dinner, and Remy dinner. Other than Palo brunch, dinner is the only time I have dessert.

Impressive, hats off to you.
Where do you eat lunch when you don't do Palo brunch and if you don't eat at buffets?
Yeah, not using the elevators at all helps a lot doesn't it? Well done.

I usually manage to maintain but did gain 10 pounds on our Panama Canal 14 night. It was definitely the booze. :drinking1Or maybe the two or three portions of dessert I ate every night. LOL

I lost 70 pounds five years ago. I walk every day on the deck and take the stairs but found the gym impossible with the motion. I'm impressed!

I gain about 2lbs but when I get home I get a colonic about 2 days afterwards and I lose about 3-4 so it’s not a big deal

Impressive, hats off to you.
Where do you eat lunch when you don't do Palo brunch and if you don't eat at buffets?
Yeah, not using the elevators at all helps a lot doesn't it? Well done.
If we are on an excursion, usually a light lunch there. If its a sea day then a small room service lunch to relax for a few or a light lunch in the MDR. I usually graze every few hours lightly with something protein during the day which I have found to keep my metabolism going and hunger down. But at dinner when on a cruise, I do let my guard down. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter