What's the most annoying common grammar error, and why is it using apostrophes to pluralize words?

Most of the grammar issues that irritate me have been mentioned. Yes, using apostrophes to pluralize words is the most annoying one in my opinion. It's taking an extra step for no reason. Why??
I have noticed one becoming more prevalent and I don't understand it.
"Please see George or myself if you have any questions."
"Martha and myself were waiting in line."
I don't get it.

I’ve held this is in for so long thank you for the opportunity to air it out.

Apart and a part of are two different things! You cannot say “thank you for being apart of my life“ to say you’re happy they are in it, or do you actually mean you want them to leave?

/endrant

Use of adverbs. If you are describing a verb you need a ly.

Wrong Correct
Go slow. Go slowly.
Drive safe. Drive safely.

I have heard the news reporters on TV and countless others who should know better speak this way.

I was just going to say this! I mourn the demise of the adverb.
Then there's the difference between using less and fewer; I struggle at the grocery store every time I see the sign saying, "Twelve items or less!"

Here's another one where styles of speech and writing differ. Referring to teams and groups. Our friends in the UK would say "Wow, Alabama are really stomping Tennessee into the ground today!" (Assuming they ever mentioned American college football), while in the US we'd say "Alabama is stomping them into the ground!"

We say "is" even though we are referring to a group of people. Neither is right or wrong, just custom. Personally I think the UK way sounds better and more natural. I've tried saying it that way here in the US, let's just say it's not catching on. People look at me like I'm weird, so I just play along and say it the US way.
In this context, Alabama is a collective noun and considered singular, not plural. Therefore, "Alabama is kicking the snot out of Tennessee," is correct (unless you are a Tennessee fan, in which case it's never correct to say this, hahaha).

Considered acceptable by whom? People get it wrong so often that we know what they mean and just let it slide? Not on my watch! Same thing with "literally". Supposedly now it's "accepted" to use it for emphasis, even though that's not what the word means. Back in my day, words had meanings! *shakes fist at cloud*
Lol. I have decided that people literally don't know the definition of literally. Geez, thanks for reminding me of that one.

In this context, Alabama is a collective noun and considered singular, not plural. Therefore, "Alabama is kicking the snot out of Tennessee," is correct (unless you are a Tennessee fan, in which case it's never correct to say this, hahaha).

Correct here in the US, not in pretty much any other English speaking country. They all consider collective nouns plural. As I said neither is incorrect, just style and custom.

Correct here in the US, not in pretty much any other English speaking country. They all consider collective nouns plural. As I said neither is incorrect, just style and custom.
I’m pretty sure Alabama doesn’t give a mud flap about what other countries do with their collective nouns.

They also changed the number of spaces after a sentence from 2 spaces to 1, and I feel like anarchy has descended upon the land.
Double spacing after a period is a pet peeve of mine. Double spacing dates back to the age of the typewriter. It simply isn't necessary anymore in the world of truetype fonts and thus a good reason they changed the standard from 2 spaces to 1. You will notice if you type two spaces after a period (like I did before this sentence) HTML is setup to only display one of them. For good reason :)

Last edited:
Double spacing after a period is a pet peeve of mine. Double spacing dates back to the age of the typewriter. It simply isn't necessary anymore in the world of truetype fonts and thus a good reason they changed the standard from 2 spaces to 1. You will notice if you type two spaces after a period (like I did before this sentence) HTML is setup to only display one of them. For good reason :)
How can it be a pet peeve if HTML doesn’t even display it any more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!