What's the deal with Kidani?

Cant wait for Disney

DIS Veteran
So thanks to online reservations and my 7 month window being a week away, my new obsession is putting in travel dates around my trip time and seeing what's open. Good fun! But I'm going the week after a holiday and so the dates i'm allowed to enter right now would fall directly on the holiday. Whatever I search for, I am seeing that rooms at Kidani are free and clear all week, while almost all other villas in DW are booked solid. What's with Kidani? Is there something to be desired about this resort? Why would it be so open? I've never done AKV and dont know much, please educate me as to why this would be so easy to book at 7 months?

One partial reason is because the percentage of points sold at Kidani versus points declared at Kidani (available for booking) is significantly lower for Kidani than the other WDW properties.

The only other WDW property not called "sold out" is BLT and it's very close to reaching that level.

Are you saying that SSR and OKW are not available? And what size room?

AKV is a large resort with Kidani being the major portion of it. Size and the fact it's in active sales are the major contributors to it's availability IMO. It's a great resort and I've loved every stay at AKV.

no, sorry, SSR and OKW were available too. I guess i just figured AKV were hot right now and was surprised to not see it slammed like BWV, BCV, and BLT. But that makes sense about it being so big..thank you for some insight!

the Epoct Area resorts were booked already for Food & Wine. From what I understand AKV had low sales do to the distance the resort is from 3 of the Parks. Though that would not matter to me if I can put the cash together to buy into DVC, I will buy the cheapest I can get be that OKW, AKV, it does not matter.

no, sorry, SSR and OKW were available too. I guess i just figured AKV were hot right now and was surprised to not see it slammed like BWV, BCV, and BLT. But that makes sense about it being so big..thank you for some insight!

Another part besides the size is that BWV, BCV and BLT become big favorites with people from late Sept to Dec due to all the festivals and special events at Epcot and MK. For us, as I mentioned, we do like AKV a lot but I look for stays there at other times of the year more than during the holidays. It doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy there though during Christmas (it's decorations rate right up there with WL/VWL) but it's just so convenient to walk from BCV, BWV or BLT for all the festivities.

The least popular park is AK. The resort that services AK is AKL and now AKV. Prior to the DVC moving in, AKL couldn't keep the place full so they let DVD have some of the rooms. Now they built Kidani and although it is a nice resort, it is farther away from Epcot, DHS, and the MK then other resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Also Kidani does not have a counter service which can be a major pain.

It's also huge in the scheme of DVC (number of rooms). That alone, makes availability more likely.

You will very often find AKV savanna or standard view open at 7 months out. You seldom find AKV value or concierge at 7 months. When AKV does fill, the savanna rooms (80% of all rooms) will fill before lower cost standard view do (about 14% of the rooms), a pattern that differs from BLT and BWV. AKV tends to disappear before OKW during higher demand times but usually there are openings at 7 months, and SSR (except for THVs) essentially never disappears before 60 days out.

AKV has the third largest number of rooms (SSR is first by a wide margin, followed by OKW), and Kidani has most of the rooms at AKV. It is not next to a park and thus though it has higher demand than OKW at 7 months out it has lower than BCV, BWV and BLT. There is nothing "wrong" that is making it not fill. It just won't usually do so due to its size and location.

I would strongly suggest you consider it as an option. It's an excellent resort and the rooms are large and beautiful. There is a peaceful sereneness to Kidani. If you want to "get away from it all," this is a great place to do it. Then when you're ready for a little excitement, head out to a park, DTD, or even over to Jambo.

I'll never understand why they didn't build AKL/AKV within walking distance of the park. At the very least they should have put in a boat service of some kind. I know the biggest problem was the savannahs, but I think I'd rather have walk up access to AK than a great view. (case in point--BCV) A view of Expedition Everest and the tree of life would be as nice as a view of the savannah IMHO.

I think Kidani is nice if you have a car and an AP so you don't have to pay for parking at the parks.

I honestly love AKV. I like Jambo a bit better then Kidani strictly for the quick service restaurant but that is my only reservation about the place. However I don't mind the slightly longer park trips... actually I was more impatient with BWV (when not going to DHS or epcot) since it shares buses with so many places then I was with AKV.

Can't imagine why. Just spent spring break there and it's our 3rd time at AKL -2nd time at Kidani. Resort is beautiful, pool is great, rooms are large. We had a 1 BR that slept 5. Extra bathroom was perfect as my teenage daughter brought along a friend. No counter service was a very minor issue for us. Only used it once and I hopped in the car and drove over to Jambo house. No big deal.

As far as distance to parks, we now drive to all parks and avoid busses completely. It was 5 min to Epcot and Studios. 10 to MK. 2 to AK.

Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Kidani is a wonderful resort. I don't know why people make a big deal on how far it is from the park. :confused3 No more than 20 mins if that to MK.

I love Kidani! My 7 month window was yesterday and everything I wanted was available. Just for fun, I looked today and I couldn't believe how many days of my trip were not available at Kidani or OKW, which is one of my home resorts. So just make sure to make those reservations the first day you are able!

thank you everyone for the insight! AKV hadn't really been on our radar when considering what to do at 7 months, but you all have brought it into the running! I dont know the odds, but if we did go for AKV, i'd love to see savanna view and I know that DS who will be 2 and a half then, would freak out to see animals go by!

Kidani is a wonderful resort. I don't know why people make a big deal on how far it is from the park. :confused3 No more than 20 mins if that to MK.

I agree, but to each there own. I think there are two reasons for this:

1) People in America today are really impatient. McD's, wanting their prescriptions filled at their local Walgreen's like it's a McD's (but then not realizing the risks in that), on-demand, etc, etc.

2) One very big elephant in the room about the bus system. :rolleyes1

I'll never understand why they didn't build AKL/AKV within walking distance of the park. At the very least they should have put in a boat service of some kind. I know the biggest problem was the savannahs, but I think I'd rather have walk up access to AK than a great view. (case in point--BCV) A view of Expedition Everest and the tree of life would be as nice as a view of the savannah IMHO.

I think Kidani is nice if you have a car and an AP so you don't have to pay for parking at the parks.

So how would a boat service make it more "attractive?"

(this kinda proves my unspoken point in a previous post, I believe)

Not picking on you, and if you feel that way, my apologies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter