Whats the deal with French Market?

Corpsebride

DIS Veteran
When we were there this last week, the big wall fence in NOS started from the very edge wall of the French Market and went all the way around the entire front area of the HM. What are they doing to the FM? Anyone have any thoughts?I just think it is odd that first they changed the menu and now it it totally closed.
:confused3

last i heard they were renovating the restaurant along with all the other new orleans work?

Oh dear! Will this be done by December??

noooooooooooooo when is it supose to be up omg i wanted something from there lol

That is a good question? hopefully Jade when you are ready to visit DL. it will be open again. :)

I just looked at Disney's schedule on their website, and the French Market is scheduled to re-open on the 20th of this month. So you will be good to go Jade, when visiting in Oct. yay! :)

Here is the Sept. schedule for Disneyland

:)

A couple of weeks ago, on a private tour our CM told us that the kitchen in NOS was going to be renovated. All the NOS restaurants share this kitchen except Club 33, which has their own. So maybe that's why the French Market is closed. Just guessing.

Found this on another site:

French Market guest flow

Details: French Market buffeteria service counter will be changed to improve guest flow.
Project Status: In progress. First phase began September 2.
Open Date: September 19.

And related:

Court des Anges store conversion

Details: Court of Angels to be converted into canopied outdoor merchandise location.
Project Status: To begin soon.
Open Date: Fall 2008

(that pains me)

and...

New Orleans Square repaving

Details: Slurry in New Orleans Square extending from New Orleans Square Train Station to Haunted Mansion gates will be removed and replaced with themed paving. Project to be completed in several phases.
Project Status: Haunted Mansion area repaving begins September 23.
New Orleans Square Train Station in progress. Began September 2.
Completion Date: Haunted Mansion area - September 23.
New Orleans Square Train Station area - October 16

Court des Anges store conversion

Details: Court of Angels to be converted into canopied outdoor merchandise location.
Project Status: To begin soon.
Open Date: Fall 2008

(that pains me)

I heard about this too, and I don't think that it is a good idea. That is such a quiet and pretty little corner. Its not like DL needs another merchandise location!! Especially in NOS!

The more that I think about the court of Angeles changing into a outdoor canopied market place, the less that I like the idea, for it is nice to have a more quaint, and quieter location for shops, as it is now,in NOS, a covered market place I see as being more in keeping with Adventure land, I don't believe that the real New Orleans Square has this type of market place, I would love to travel there, and to Louisiana otherwise, I just have not had an opportunity to do so yet. For all that I have seen in film, photographs, travel documentaries, I do not recall seeing that type of market place for our time,maybe in the 19th century, it existed, however some of the shops have more of a 20th century ambiance and decor about them, not ca. 19th.
Oh well, it should be interesting to see how it all goes, maybe at some point, it will be changed back, to the way, it should be kept, in my opinion. Maybe we will all love it, however, I am thinking probably not, for I love how NOS is now, and has been for as long as I can remember, regarding Disneyland.

What kinda bites about this renovation too is that New Orleans Square train station is closed so you can't get off there, only at Main Street, Toontown and Tomorrowland. If you are on the train at New Orleans Square it still stops there to keep the flow of the trians on schedule and if you look between the seams on the temporary walls in places you can see what they are doing. I do hope they don't cause this area to lose it's serinity and ambiance with the changes.

Does this mean that I won't be able to get my Mickey Beignets @ Cafe Orleans :earsboy: or does it go over that far???

I heard about this too, and I don't think that it is a good idea. That is such a quiet and pretty little corner. Its not like DL needs another merchandise location!! Especially in NOS!

Which area is the "court of angels"? Is it the whole shopping area that loops around the back by POTC exit, or is it the "courtyard" with the beautiful staircase, etc... that is back there?

I found a couple pictures taking through the construction walls around HM, in one of the Newsy "dateline disneyland" updates on micechat.

OK I just figured out the gate thing. It's a bad bad sentence.

The slurry extending from one spot to HM's gates will be removed and replaced.

The gates aren't being replaced. The walkways are.

This is the sentence: "Slurry in New Orleans Square extending from New Orleans Square Train Station to Haunted Mansion gates will be removed and replaced with themed paving."

I had to read all 13 pages, going backwards, of the Disneyland project tracker on the other site, until I finally heard that sentence correctly in my head! And that was only b/c in all those pages, no one had asked why the gates were being removed, and that would NOT be like those m'chatters at all. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter