What's the cost of daycare?

bonybroad

I'm addicted to smilies!
As a mostily SAHM, I don't know the cost of daycare. I have a wonderful friend who watches my two boys for $30 a day.
My boys are 8 and 6.
I found a really great day camp for the summer that just MIGHT keep them from killing each other and driving me crazy, but it is $150 each per week!
Is that right? It includes lunch and 2 snacks. Lots of education, field trips,etc. I love the idea, but don't want to pay TOO much for them to be occupied.
Thanks for any input.
Oh, I live in PA, north of Pittsburgh, near Slippery Rock University, where the camp is.
Don't know if that changes the price point.

Well, we have a very high COL, but that's what day camp costs here, run through the town, and people use it because it's SO inexpensive. It's certainly not the best, but WAY cheaper than any other option. It's also less than any daycare run out of a home, and MUCH less than a center.

Definitely sounds like the correct (even a good) cost to me. Around here - in home daycare is about $25 - $30 per day per child and day care centers are up to $175 - $200 for a week per child.

The camp you are looking at - especially with meals provided (a lot around here require they bring their own lunch) and the extras - sounds like a great deal.

Not sure what the hours are for the camp - but work out the cost per hour and I think you'll find it VERY inexpensive - no matter where you live.

My dS (2.5 yo) is in a montessouri preschool summer camp. They do a field trip once a week (extra cost), lunch is not included and we pay $700. a month. We do live in South Florida where the cost of living is high. I am not sure if that is "a good price" or not. My son is potty trained too which lowers the price. It it is a great program but I can't stand writing that check every month. I was a SAHM before this and the thought of spending all that money is brutal but he really does get a lot out of it.

We pay $150 per week. There are two others we prices. One was $175 per week and the other was $167. First and last are at a chucrh, the middle one is a day care center only.

I am in PA, near Reading. I think that price sounds pretty reasonable, if not a little cheap.

My DS is 3 and in daycare at a center. I pay $187/week for him. His center also offers a summer "day camp" program for school age kids and it is $170 /week. I believe they go to the pool 2 afternoons a week that is included. They also do another field trip every week that is not included (this week they went to an IMAX movie). Snacks and lunch are provided.

THere is a sports complex near me that also does summer camp. It is $150 and I believe that includes all activities including the pool days. Meals/snacks are not provided. It is also only 8:30-4:30 so they do offer extended care for those who need it at an additional cost.

I used to use a private sitter. She charged $140/week for toddlers and $120 for older kids. She did provide meals/snacks but no real activities. It was strictly daycare.

$150 really is the on the low end of things. Maybe I live in a more expensive area but there is nothing around here that cheap. Most options are in the high $200. I'm paying $529 for DS to go to 2 weeks at Cub Scout camp which includes an early payment discount and multisession discount. Both kids are going to a place called Teamworks for two sessions - so four weeks total is costing me $969 but that is with sibling and mutlisession discounts. Summer camp can be expensive. I have friends who are sending their son to a day camp that is $2800 for 4 weeks! :eek:

Cost sounds good. My DDs are 5.5 and 3, and the cost for their summer programs are $245 and $207 respectivly. They are both at the same center, and are there for ten hours a day. The summer camp for the 5yo is actually more expensive, but they give a discount for: their year-round families, and also a ten percent discount for the least expensive child.

Our town park, on the other hand, is $50 each for camp, and it only runs 9-3 I think. Good program for the price, but not practical for my schedule.

wow! i wuold love to pay $150 per week. DD goes to a day camp at the local university in my town and it's about $350 per week. This does not include food but does include all of the trips and is from 8:15-5:50 m-f.

She also attends a day camp in upstate NY for 4 weeks and that is quite a bit more. $800 a week but it includes transportation to and from my home and all food and trips.

Lara

$150 seems reasonable since lunch and snacks are included. I pay $125 at the YMCA, but we pack lunch and snacks.

Sounds REALLY good to me. My kids camps are between $175-$250 a week and don't include lunch and rarely include field trips. Go for it!

We pay $150 per week. There are two others we prices. One was $175 per week and the other was $167. First and last are at a chucrh, the middle one is a day care center only.

Forgot to mention that I am in York, PA. And those prices including food, but not "field trips." Your deal is very good, IMO. I'd happily send them to the Slimy Pebble, er, Slippery Rock.

Our tuition goes up next week, $323 (oy!:eek:) a week for our DS who's almost 21 months old. He goes to a center in Quincy, just south of Boston, and lunch and snacks are included. I know people in our area who pay less, and who pay more; I think our center is in the median for our area.
Where you live definitely seems to make a difference, so $300 a week for 2 older kids doesn't seem crazy to me.

Our tuition goes up next week, $323 (oy!:eek:) a week for our DS who's almost 21 months old. He goes to a center in Quincy, just south of Boston, and lunch and snacks are included. I know people in our area who pay less, and who pay more; I think our center is in the median for our area.
Where you live definitely seems to make a difference, so $300 a week for 2 older kids doesn't seem crazy to me.

I am right there with you - our center is $350 a week :scared1:for my 27 month old. They do provide all food and snacks. I only bring diapers and once trained I think it gets a little cheaper. But living in Mass near boston we have to pay this much. Makes me insane!

You are getting a great deal .. in my opinion.

Well there is no way I'm moving to the Boston area with those daycare prices!!! YIKES! We pay $137/week for my 4 year old - it includes lunch and snacks.

I'm switching daycares now. I am/was paying $187 per week - full time 5 days a week. Camp fee is $25.00, camp shirt (for field trips) is $15.00, then the actual trips are on top and range $15.00-$25.00.

The new center is costing me $200 per week - full time 5 days a week. Camp is $200 for the summer (tuition on top of that).

Neither center provide lunch, that is extra or pack it yourself, and my child is going to be 5 in October.

We live in Southern NJ - close to Philly. If I could get $150 for something decent, I'd bite.

I was going to enroll my DD10 in the Y camp this summer, but for 8 weeks, it was about $3,000.00 - without meals or transportation.

That's a good price. I live near Allentown and different day camps around here run about $125 - $200 a week per kid. I'd sign them up!

My kids have been out of daycare/camp for about 10 years. I paid $150/wk each back then, so I would guess that $150/wk each now is a pretty good deal.

I work in Chapel Hill NC. Daycare here is pretty pricey. Ours is $950 a month for all ages (2 1/2 and up). So around $230 a week. Includes breakfast, lunch, snack. The center is 5 stars and is on the campus of the retirement community where I work. Since I work here I get a $225 a month stipend for the daycare so I only pay $725 thank goodness.

Infant care around here is around $300 a week.

I just checked on the one camp I know of. Day camp is $205 a week, overnight camp is $350.

Here, full-time nursery care (under 2) is $135 a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter