What's that they say about karma? Well, my Disney karma....

Klayfish

DIS Veteran
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll stick it here. I'll preface this by saying it's truly being tongue in cheek and making fun of myself, so don't read it any other way.

People who read my posts know I'm a huge WDW supporter, even an "apologist" if you will. At the same time, I've always said how I never would want to use WDW buses to get around the parks and how it would be a deal breaker. It's just something I see as a huge negative, not a positive. DD12 and I were in Apopka for the past few days attending a tournament for her. She was done playing on Saturday at 2pm and we had all evening to kill. Our plan all along had been to go to Disney and hang around. No plans to buy park tickets, but we were planning to ride the Skyliner, go to DS, maybe tour a few resorts, etc... Our first stop was the Skyliner. We parked at Caribbean Beach and hopped on the one with the shortest line, which was going to Pop Century and AoA. Neat ride, really like the Skyliner. We walked around Pop, as we had never toured it before, then went back to return to the Skyliner. It was down. Cars had gotten "too close together" and they were trying to reset it. Fine. 10 minutes pass and they start moving again, then immediately stop. Still not working right we were told and they're shutting them down longer term to fix the problem. Uhhh....we're now at Pop and our car is at Caribbean. Lovely. CM said there's no direct bus from one to the other. So to the bus line we go and wait for a bus to Epcot. The line is already quite long and we waited a solid 20 minutes for it to arrive. Get onto the bus packed like sardines for the ride to Epcot. Then we have to wait for the bus from Epcot to Caribbean. That was another 15 or so minutes. This bus, thankfully, was empty, just one other couple on it with us. The bus goes to Caribbean, but goes all the way to the back of the property, makes a u-turn then starts making its' stops. We're the last one, so that took another 5-10 minutes. All told, we lost a solid 60-90 minutes of time between the Skyliner going down and having to deal with the buses just to get from one spot to another.

It didn't dampen our spirits, we were there just for fun and were simply happy to be there. We really didn't miss out on anything we really had to do. The entire time I was laughing to myself and thinking "this must be karma for all the negative things I say about using buses." May I learn my lesson and keep my yap shut....instant karma is going to get ya' :P

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll stick it here. I'll preface this by saying it's truly being tongue in cheek and making fun of myself, so don't read it any other way.

People who read my posts know I'm a huge WDW supporter, even an "apologist" if you will. At the same time, I've always said how I never would want to use WDW buses to get around the parks and how it would be a deal breaker. It's just something I see as a huge negative, not a positive. DD12 and I were in Apopka for the past few days attending a tournament for her. She was done playing on Saturday at 2pm and we had all evening to kill. Our plan all along had been to go to Disney and hang around. No plans to buy park tickets, but we were planning to ride the Skyliner, go to DS, maybe tour a few resorts, etc... Our first stop was the Skyliner. We parked at Caribbean Beach and hopped on the one with the shortest line, which was going to Pop Century and AoA. Neat ride, really like the Skyliner. We walked around Pop, as we had never toured it before, then went back to return to the Skyliner. It was down. Cars had gotten "too close together" and they were trying to reset it. Fine. 10 minutes pass and they start moving again, then immediately stop. Still not working right we were told and they're shutting them down longer term to fix the problem. Uhhh....we're now at Pop and our car is at Caribbean. Lovely. CM said there's no direct bus from one to the other. So to the bus line we go and wait for a bus to Epcot. The line is already quite long and we waited a solid 20 minutes for it to arrive. Get onto the bus packed like sardines for the ride to Epcot. Then we have to wait for the bus from Epcot to Caribbean. That was another 15 or so minutes. This bus, thankfully, was empty, just one other couple on it with us. The bus goes to Caribbean, but goes all the way to the back of the property, makes a u-turn then starts making its' stops. We're the last one, so that took another 5-10 minutes. All told, we lost a solid 60-90 minutes of time between the Skyliner going down and having to deal with the buses just to get from one spot to another.

It didn't dampen our spirits, we were there just for fun and were simply happy to be there. We really didn't miss out on anything we really had to do. The entire time I was laughing to myself and thinking "this must be karma for all the negative things I say about using buses." May I learn my lesson and keep my yap shut....instant karma is going to get ya' :P
That's funny! It sounds like you had a fun night, though. We'll be riding the gondolas in a few months, I hope they're not down! (Nervous enough to get on one, lol). Our family has trekked from Caribbean Beach to Pop before. There is a little known "back entrance". :teleport: (I used to love the Parmesan chicken at Pop, but I don't think they have it anymore; at least they didn't last time I visited.)

Your experience is why I don't uses the bus system. My time at the parks if valuable. I was there last week and decided to rent the car (I was on a monorail resort). Even with that, I just run out of time. I can't imagine losing more time with bus issues. I used the bus several times last year to at least say I tried it and determine if my negative perceptions were just that... negative perceptions. Nope. Not a bus person!

Your experience is why I don't uses the bus system. My time at the parks if valuable. I was there last week and decided to rent the car (I was on a monorail resort). Even with that, I just run out of time. I can't imagine losing more time with bus issues. I used the bus several times last year to at least say I tried it and determine if my negative perceptions were just that... negative perceptions. Nope. Not a bus person!
We are not bus people, either, and always rent a car. We might take the bus once or twice but we don't really enjoy it. We also like to go resort hopping and having a car just makes that so much easier.

That's funny! It sounds like you had a fun night, though. We'll be riding the gondolas in a few months, I hope they're not down! (Nervous enough to get on one, lol). Our family has trekked from Caribbean Beach to Pop before. There is a little known "back entrance". :teleport: (I used to love the Parmesan chicken at Pop, but I don't think they have it anymore; at least they didn't last time I visited.)

Of course, as luck would have it, after we got on the bus at Caribbean, we saw the Skyliners moving again. It still won't deter me from getting on them again, I do want to try the others, they look fun (for the view).

So there's a way to walk?? Awww man, I wish I had known that on Saturday.

Don't look at it as karma - you merely reinforced your feelings and proved to yourself that your instincts regarding Disney transportation are correct. On a few of my solo trips I have relied on the buses and had some really bad experiences also. I think next time I may use Lyft more.

I would like to try the Skyliner too at some point. Will be carless at the Beach Club in May, maybe then.

Last edited:
We always rented a car when we stayed onsite, but sometimes used the buses anyway. We even spent part of one non-park day just riding the various transit methods and exploring the resorts.

DH is a long time public transit junkie. We often take buses or subways or light rail when we visit cities. Trolleys are a special treat, but the best are the few remaining "trackless trolleys," electric buses with a pantograph connected to overhead wires.

We are not bus people, either, and always rent a car. We might take the bus once or twice but we don't really enjoy it. We also like to go resort hopping and having a car just makes that so much easier.
Question (because we're car rental people too): If one is hopping to several parks and maybe a resort or two in the same day, do you have to pay separately for parking at all of them?

Question (because we're car rental people too): If one is hopping to several parks and maybe a resort or two in the same day, do you have to pay separately for parking at all of them?

I believe once you have paid for parking in a day, you do not have to pay again. I can't swear for the resorts, but for the theme parks that is definitely true.

Normally we don't pay at all to visit resorts (other than nightly at the resort where we're staying). If you stay at Disney you can visit other resorts for free parking (unless you valet - handicapped valet is free). They can easily look you up via your magic band, which they scan when you get to the booth at each resort. (They used to give you a slip of paper that you put on your windshield, but those have pretty much gone away.) Even if you're not staying at a Disney resort and you want to go visit, just tell them you want to go to the gift shop and look around the resortor get a bite to eat, and they'll let you in (our experience). They will tell you you have three hours or something like that, and you risk towing if you leave to go off to a park for the day :lmao: (and that makes it bad for all of us), but yes, you can freely visit as many resorts as you like with your car and they welcome you.

Parking at the parks is separate from the resorts.

Normally we don't pay at all to visit resorts (other than nightly at the resort where we're staying). If you stay at Disney you can visit other resorts for free parking (unless you valet - handicapped valet is free). They can easily look you up via your magic band, which they scan when you get to the booth at each resort. (They used to give you a slip of paper that you put on your windshield, but those have pretty much gone away.) Even if you're not staying at a Disney resort and you want to go visit, just tell them you want to go to the gift shop and look around the resort and they'll let you in (our experience). They will tell you you have three hours or something like that, and you risk towing if you leave to go off to a park for the day :lmao: (and that makes it bad for all of us), but yes, you can freely visit as many resorts as you like with your car and they welcome you.

Parking at the parks is separate from the resorts.

Thanks. I haven't brought a car with me since resorts instituted parking fees, so I wasn't sure about that.

Normally we don't pay at all (other than nightly at the resort where we're staying). If you stay at Disney you can visit other resorts for free parking (unless you valet - handicapped valet is free). They can easily look you up via your magic band, which they scan when you get to the booth at each resort. (They used to give you a slip of paper that you put on your windshield, but those have pretty much gone away.) Even if you're not staying at a Disney resort and you want to go visit, just tell them you want to go to the gift shop and look around the resort and they'll let you in (our experience). They will tell you you have three hours or something like that, and you risk towing if you leave to go off to a park for the day :lmao: (and that makes it bad for all of us), but yes, you can freely visit as many resorts as you like with your car and they welcome you.
Thanks. I thought I had read somewhere that even resort guests were paying for parking now - maybe I was mistaken.

Thanks. I thought I had read somewhere that even resort guests were paying for parking now - maybe I was mistaken.
Resort guests do have to pay to park nightly now at Disney resorts, except, I think, DVC members staying at DVC resorts (as it's in their contracts).

Car rental prices now have skyrocketed, though, and you really have to work to find a decent price in many cases.

Resort guests do have to pay to park nightly now at Disney resorts, except, I think, DVC members staying at DVC resorts (as it's in their contracts).

Car rental prices now have skyrocketed, though, and you really have to work to find a decent price in many cases.
We are staying the last week in April, we have OKW booked with a decent discount, but my family is balking at sharing rooms now, since they all have small children, so we are staying off site. I just booked 2 suburbans at $500 a piece for a week. I didn't think that was too bad. For my sons wedding, we had a Chevy Tahoo for 4 days and paid over $1,000 and that was from NYC out to Long Island. Sorry, but I pretty much compare prices with NYC to Disney. I am hoping to get more of a discount when we get closer to our dates. And I told my family, we have to pay parking at the parks each day too.

Rental cars in NYC are obscene. We had to get upstate for a summer weekend wedding, we had the car for two days, there were five of us splitting the cost and it was still multiple hundreds each.

There's so many transportation options at Disney that you really do get to choose how you want to handle things. I personally would rather spend the money on a nicer hotel option or more food than in a car that is going to sit in a parking lot the majority of the time I have it. But I'm also very, very used to taking public transportation options and waiting for 15 minutes for a bus wouldn't even make me flinch.

We are staying the last week in April, we have OKW booked with a decent discount, but my family is balking at sharing rooms now, since they all have small children, so we are staying off site. I just booked 2 suburbans at $500 a piece for a week. I didn't think that was too bad. For my sons wedding, we had a Chevy Tahoo for 4 days and paid over $1,000 and that was from NYC out to Long Island. Sorry, but I pretty much compare prices with NYC to Disney. I am hoping to get more of a discount when we get closer to our dates. And I told my family, we have to pay parking at the parks each day too.

I was seeing *bad* prices for rental cars too, but you have to watch every day. We just got back from a 7 night stay. My cousin's family got a Suburban for $436 a week total and I rented a full size sedan for $220 per week. Both from Alamo. I would say our price changed 4 times before we went. When I got to MCO the day I rented, the attendant said "pick anything from this aisle" which was the "full size" aisle. It was chock full of minivans so that's what we got.

We typically drive, so we have a car with us. We stay on property and end up driving to the parks the majority of the time. However, we will take a bus when we go to MK. For us, the hassle of parking, walking or taking a tram to the Monorail/Ferry, waiting for the Monorail/Ferry, and then having the extra time for the Monorail or Ferry (although the ride can be enjoyable), far outweighs the negatives of taking the bus.

I was seeing *bad* prices for rental cars too, but you have to watch every day. We just got back from a 7 night stay. My cousin's family got a Suburban for $436 a week total and I rented a full size sedan for $220 per week. Both from Alamo. I would say our price changed 4 times before we went. When I got to MCO the day I rented, the attendant said "pick anything from this aisle" which was the "full size" aisle. It was chock full of minivans so that's what we got.
It already came down $100 if I pay now. I called Dollar and I just saved $200, which pretty much just paid our parking for 3 days..

Idk about karma. I’d call it validation confirming what you’ve already said about the buses. I’m one who also tries to avoid them. I think they’re usually a nightmare.

It already came down $100 if I pay now. I called Dollar and I just saved $200, which pretty much just paid our parking for 3 days..
Just curious with Pay Now, what happens if you have to cancel? I’ve never done Pay Now before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter