What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?

In addition to fluffy Nora Roberts and not-so-fluffy Diana Gabaldon (we actually had a funny Outlander discussion in my office this morning), I like post-apocalyptic stuff. One of my recent faves was The Passage by Justin Cronin -- a virus turns much of the world into zombie-type creatures, and small outposts of "humans" have to defend themselves. A prequel recently came out, The Twelve, and I haven't gotten that from the hold list at the library yet.

Another fascinating p-a series is by Ann Benson -- Thief of Souls, The Plague Tales and A Physician's Tale. They go back and forth between the near-future and the Black Plague period.

I haven't been a fan of Stephen King in the past, but I absolutely loved 11/22/63. I thought he did an incredible job of recreating the world of 1963 - we forget how much has changed in such a short time!

I am currently reading The Stockholm Octavo which seems good so far but I am only a chapter in.

I really enjoyed Nora Roberts' Boonsboro trilogy. I didn't realize when I read it that this is a real town, and Nora Roberts actually owns the inn, bookstore and restaurant in the town (with the same names as in the books). I'd love to visit someday! I know they are very "fluffy" books but sometimes that's just what I am looking for.

When I was in the bookstore, I found they had some classic Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout so I bought a couple of those and will be reading them soon. I also bought some Kerry Greenwood novels. I loved her Phryne Fisher series, and now she has a new series about a woman (Carina Chapman) who has a bakery and solves mysteries that I really like.

TP

Joining in. I have read a lot of the books mentioned. I love Stephen King. My favorites are The Stand & The Dark Tower series.
Loved the Outlander books.
Love anything by Karin Slaughter or Lisa Jackson.
Waiting for the 4th book in The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans. Currently reading Michael Vey-The Rise of the Elgin also by Richard Paul Evans. It is a YA book and sequel to Michael Vey-Prisoner in Cell 25.
Have never been into Harry Potter, books or movies, altho my dd has all of them both so if I ever get desparate.....,lol.
Rush Home Road by Laura Lansens was very very good.
So many books......On another forum I am in a 2012 book challenge. My goal for 2012 was 48 books. Just finished #58.
Maybe in January we can start a 2013 challenge on the dis???

In addition to fluffy Nora Roberts and not-so-fluffy Diana Gabaldon (we actually had a funny Outlander discussion in my office this morning), I like post-apocalyptic stuff. One of my recent faves was The Passage by Justin Cronin -- a virus turns much of the world into zombie-type creatures, and small outposts of "humans" have to defend themselves. A prequel recently came out, The Twelve, and I haven't gotten that from the hold list at the library yet.

Another fascinating p-a series is by Ann Benson -- Thief of Souls, The Plague Tales and A Physician's Tale. They go back and forth between the near-future and the Black Plague period.
The Twelve is part prequel, part sequel - mostly sequel. I didn't like it as much, but it was not too bad.

If you love really long books, give A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. It takes place in India, and even at 1470+ pages it kept my interest.

If you liked the Hunger Games series, try Divergent by Veronica Roth.

I also enjoyed Ken Follet's 2 books in his new series, Fall of Giants and Winter of the World.

I'm looking for a good long book for the holiday season!

How do you like It? I haven't read that one yet. I'm funny about Stephen King books. Some I love, and others I can't get past page 30. It has been on my to-read list for a while! I'll have to see if it's available on Kindle and at a reasonable cost. The Stand was my favorite. Of his recent books, I liked Under the Dome (though he did write that a while ago) and 11/22/63. The Cell was OK, but I didn't care for the ending.

IT and The Stand are my two favorite King books because they have one thing in common (and what makes them both great) - extraordinary character development. By the time you are done reading both of those books, you'll feel like they were people you really knew. Richie and Bevvie and the whole gang - I still remember them and I read the book more than 25 years ago.

And if you've read IT, you'll see some familiar characters in 11/22/63. :thumbsup2

I've just finished Beautiful Ruins (it was OK) and I'm reading Life of Pi. Before Beautiful Ruins it was Gone Girl and that one raised the bar a bit, I'm afraid.

Not sure what's next yet... looking for suggestions here!!

Last year I was on a roll with reading... this year, I think I've only read 11 books :(

I'm about to start The Night Circus for the book club I belong to.... I have less than a week to read it! LOL!

I can't recommend enough "Half-Broke Horses" and "The Glass Castle"... both by Jeanette Walls. Fantastic books!!!! Although the Glass Castle was written 1st, it takes place AFTER Half-Broke Horses. I read them in chronological order, rather than in order of them being written. They are memoirs and are both great reads!

I am currently reading Deadline (Newsflesh Book 2) by Mira Grant. This series is really cool if you enjoy zombie fiction. It's a trilogy so I will move on to Blackout as soon as I am done with this one.

Next will be Cold Days by Jim Butcher as soon as it comes out. Actually, I should go order that from Amazon now since I doubt I will want to go to the bookstore any time soon!

Then Crossed and then Reached by Ally Condie.

Then I will be looking for something else. No clue what at this point though.

I've been on an autobiography kick. I'm in the middle of Gene Wilder's "Kiss Me Like a Stranger." Before that, "Camp David" by David Walliams from "Little Britain." Absolutely loved that one.

"My Mother Was Nuts" by Penny Marshall was pretty engaging and sort of raw, especially if you're a fan. Her brother Garry's book, "My Happy Days in Hollywood," was like a Hallmark card compared to hers.

"Dear Cary" by Dyan Cannon was okay. "Medium Raw" by Tony Bourdain was decent and typically Bourdain-y. "Girl Walks into a Bar" by Rachel Dratch should've been a little more insightful and comtemplative, but it was very sweet. Though the tone is quite arrogant, Frank Langella's "Dropped Names" had some great anecdotes.

In the Spring, my favorite reads were "Confessions of a Prairie _____" by Alison Arngrim (Nellie Oleson) and "Prairie Tale: A Memoir" by Melissa Gilbert. Every adult "Little House" fan should read them. "High on Arrival" by Mackenzie Philips broke my heart.

Right now I'm reading The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, Book One) by Jean M. Auel.

I'm really enjoying it!

I would love to join in on a 2013 book challenge!

I can't recommend enough "Half-Broke Horses" and "The Glass Castle"... both by Jeanette Walls. Fantastic books!!!! Although the Glass Castle was written 1st, it takes place AFTER Half-Broke Horses. I read them in chronological order, rather than in order of them being written. They are memoirs and are both great reads!

I loved these books as well!

I just finished "Being a Boy" by Paxton Davis. The author grew up in my town and the book is about growing up here during the depression. Very interesting to me since the little boys and girls he played with went on to become the city's leaders and the history of the town is interesting. He wrote 2 more about his later years which are on my list too.

I'm getting ready to start "Merry Christmas, Alex Cross" by James Patterson. Can't resist an Alex Cross book.

I also just finished "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child. Also can't resist jack Reacher. This one was very quick and full of action.

I'll be looking at this thread to add some more.

DH gave me a kindle for my birthday 5 months ago, so I have a record of what I've read. In 5 months, 24 books, several Susan Mallory, Sheryl Woods, Stepsnie Bond, Rota Heron. Right now, "already Home" by Mallery, next up "Kill the Competition" by Stephanie Bond.

I'm a teacher and a full time grad student, so as much as I LOVE to read for pleasure, my time is often filled with reading books assigned for grad class, or YA books so I can make recommendations for my students. However, sometimes I just have to take a break and read something for me. :-)

Books I've read recently that I've really enjoyed are:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Art of Racing in the Rain
A Dog's Purpose
The Paris Wife
Heaven is for Real

I hope to read several more over Thanksgiving and Christmas Break now that my major paper for class is DONE!:cool1:

Just finished reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. It's a memoir of her months long hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. Parts of it broke my heart, but it's very well written and very powerful.

To the poster who was looking for a long book (I love them big and thick as well): if you enjoy historical thrillers, try 'Speaks the Nightbird' by Robert McCammon. I haven't read it yet, but it's gotten 4 1/2 stars and it's almost 800 pages. Better yet, it's first in a series, with 4 additional books out as of right now and I believe they are all long as well. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

OMG, I just reread my post and I swear that was not intentional. I just hope the tag fairy doesn't read this thread (does the TF even exists anymore?)

I've been on an autobiography kick. I'm in the middle of Gene Wilder's "Kiss Me Like a Stranger." Before that, "Camp David" by David Walliams from "Little Britain." Absolutely loved that one.

"My Mother Was Nuts" by Penny Marshall was pretty engaging and sort of raw, especially if you're a fan. Her brother Garry's book, "My Happy Days in Hollywood," was like a Hallmark card compared to hers.

"Dear Cary" by Dyan Cannon was okay. "Medium Raw" by Tony Bourdain was decent and typically Bourdain-y. "Girl Walks into a Bar" by Rachel Dratch should've been a little more insightful and comtemplative, but it was very sweet. Though the tone is quite arrogant, Frank Langella's "Dropped Names" had some great anecdotes.

In the Spring, my favorite reads were "Confessions of a Prairie _____" by Alison Arngrim (Nellie Oleson) and "Prairie Tale: A Memoir" by Melissa Gilbert. Every adult "Little House" fan should read them. "High on Arrival" by Mackenzie Philips broke my heart.

I really enjoyed Confessions of a Prairie *****. Haven't read Melissa Gilberts yet. Check out the Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb. Very interesting read. Not a true autobiography in the sense of the word, but interesting all the same.

I really enjoyed Confessions of a Prairie *****. Haven't read Melissa Gilberts yet. Check out the Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb. Very interesting read. Not a true autobiography in the sense of the word, but interesting all the same.

I am looking forward to reading the above

Loving this thread. I'm a right bookworm and form a particular attachment to books that are a part of a series.

I've read and enjoyed;
Stephen King - dark tower series
George RR Martin - game of thrones series
Hunger games trilogy
Trueblood series
Twilight
Harry Potter

Anything by Karen Rose - crime/thriller novels where the main characters in each book are linked to eachother. Richard Laymon - horror. Richard Montanari - thriller/crime.

Cecelia Ahern - PS I love you. Bawled my eyes out, such a soppy book. Nothing like the film.

Sylvia Day - crossfire novels. Similar to 50 shades of grey without the red room of pain, lol.

Anything by Dorothy Koomson is absolutely fantastic! She's a brilliant author. Look her up.

If you have a kindle, pixel of ink is a great website as it shows you which kindle books amazon has for free that day. I've downloaded loads to read at a later date xx

Books I've enjoyed recently, that I highly recommend...Age of Miracles. It was our book club book, and brought up great discussion. I don't think I've seen this one on this thread yet.

I also enjoyed Paris Wife!

Currently reading: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. It's...interesting.:confused3

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reread The Passage to prepare for The Twelve by Justin Cronin. Even though its soooo long I loved it just as much the second time around!
Need to finish Naked by David Sedaris by Thursday for book club. It's not my favorite book by him and I'm finding it hard to concentrate/finish. Might be because I have The Twelve sitting on my nightstand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter