What's a Teddy Bear to you?

I think of a Teddy Bear as a stuffed bear.

However, if pre-schoolers are invited to bring a Teddy Bear to school, I would just assume that there will be some children who don't have Teddy Bears and some children who, given the chance to bring a stuffed animal to school, are going to choose to bring their favorite stuffed friend, and that's okay. The alternative (expecting preschoolers without Teddy Bears to lose the opportunity to take a stuffed animal to school) would be pretty mean-spirited, IMO.

If this is repeated next year, I think the invitations should make it clear that stuffed friends of all varieties are welcome (to save what should be a fun activity from being stressful for parents and kids).

My " Teddy" is a beagle named Belle ( snoopy's sister). I have lots of bears but they are polar bear variety. I may have a brown teddy bear around here but who knows.

My daughter's pre-K class had teddy bear day too. I helped her dig a bear out of the toy box, but her favorite stuffed toy -- Boots the monkey -- went along too (to hear my daughter tell it, Boots would have thrown a big fit if he was not allowed along). I think it is highly likely that only the monkey came out of her bag at school, since she never plays with the bear.

To me, a teddy bear is a stuffed bear. Not a giraffe, moose, cat, etc. A bear.

That being said, kids have different stuffies. I slept with a teddy bear until I met my husband at age 19.

DS sleeps with a pillow pet. He has a hard time sleeping without it - even though he is almost 16.

I sleep with a brown bear every night and I'm 56. I can't sleep without it. My DH kinda looks at it like :rolleyes2 but he doesn't say anything.

I would have assumed favorite stuffed animal- I have a Care Bear, Bedtime Bear, that I still sleep with at 20, who I brought to stuff like that(though sometimes my care bears rotated out who got to go to school for things like show and tell). My sister has a stuffed dog named rottie, and my other sister had a stuffed german shepherd that looked like our dog.

The kids I babysit have a range of animals that do activities with us. The 6 year old I babysit has a bear, named bear, who does everything with us. His 3 year old brother has a stuffed jaguar named baby kitty who does everything with us.

Teddy bears are awesome, well any stuffed animal really, because they always seem to be the perfect pillow. I can always fall asleep faster on my bear than I can any pillow on the bed, and there's lots of pillows.

While my favorite is a bear, I can picture a lot of kids wanting to show off their favorite stuffy rather than bringing a bear they don't like as much.

BTW, Thanks for making a bunch of Build a Bear ads show up on the DIS.

I'm somewhat surprised that you'd assume every child has or wants a teddy bear, to be honest.

I didn't have a teddy bear when I was little and neither did my daughter. We just weren't into bears. I had a baby doll. My dd had a stuffed black and white pig and then a stuffed Mickey that she loved. Now that I think about it, my sister had a stuffed worm that was her favorite.

If I were a parent and it was "teddy bear week" at school, I'd assume it's was totally acceptable that my child bring in their favorite stuffed animal. I'd assume you'd rather she do that than make her feel left out for not having the "approved" stuffed animal.

My younger brother had a blankie, my sister had a big polar bear she brought with her everywhere, and I had a cat. I had that cat from the time I was 5 until I graduated college!!!!

ETA: I don't even really like cats in real life. So it was funny that I was so attached to that thing!

I would have assumed to bring an actual bear for "Teddy Bear week". I am surprised actually that quite a few read it as just bring a stuffed animal. To me, a stuffed animal is a general term for any animal/character with stuffing. A teddy bear is only a bear. Not a monkey, pig, penguin, etc. Just a bear. I am a stickler for details.

With that said, a lot of kids don't have actual teddy bears. It would have been best to specify to bring their favorite stuffed animal. :)

A teddy bear is definitely only a bear. Anything else is a stuffed animal.

I still have my teddy bear, Miss Bear. :)

My DD is in her second year of preschool. Last year she brought a bear for teddy bear day, but this year she brought a cat. She chose the cat because it's her favourite, the only stuffed animal she is at all attached to, actually. I figured it was her choice, even though the activities and crafts might be bear themed. But then again, I let her choose her own clothes for preschool too... a dress over jogging pants? Sure, go nuts!:rotfl:

When my daughter was in Kindergarten and they had the Teddy Bear Picnic it was specified Teddy BEAR... several brought other animals and they cried because they did not have a BEAR that day. Mom just let them bring whatever. Lucky I thought ahead and had picked up some bears at the Dollar Tree and had them just in case anyone forgot.
The kids were happy after that. Mom's were embarrassed for not reading the paper and understanding what Teddy Bear was until they got there for the picnic and saw everyone with a bear.

To me Teddy Bear , means just that. Several years ago I voluntered to being a Teddy Bear for a Tea Parade. It was so amazing to see all the the little girls bring their Bears and have tea. There faces were all lit up when they got there pictures taken. I guess Teddy Bear has a new meaning.

I think a Teddy Bear is a bear. If my child didn't own a stuff bear, I'd let them bring something else rather than not participate.

Teddy Bear=Stuffed BEAR, not your stuffed other animal!

We have always had bears in the house. DS15 once took a Koala Bear, but it was still a bear.

And I would NEVER let them take their absolute favorite stuffie, I would be too worry something would happen to it.

DS15 had a bear.

DS9 has a bear and a lamb.

Even though each kiddo had a bear, they would be taking THAT bear!

Teddy Bear=Stuffed BEAR, not your stuffed other animal!

We have always had bears in the house. DS15 once took a Koala Bear, but it was still a bear.

And I would NEVER let them take their absolute favorite stuffie, I would be too worry something would happen to it.

DS15 had a bear.

DS9 has a bear and a lamb.

Even though each kiddo had a bear, they would be taking THAT bear!
What if neither kid had a bear?

Would you tell your preschooler, "So sad, too bad. You can't participate today." Would you run out and buy a bear to comply with the teacher's demands?

What if neither kid had a bear?

Would you tell your preschooler, "So sad, too bad. You can't participate today." Would you run out and buy a bear to comply with the teacher's demands?

Well since we were over run by bears when they were born since that was the nursery theme, I would not have to run out.

And yes like other school supplies I have needed to buy over the years for a one time things, yes I would go buy a cheap bear or borrow one from my neighbor. I have had to buy things for container book reports, diaromas etc. I could always save the bear for a later project, we have used them again or bc I had two kids who went to the same school, we have used these items again, so it wasnt a waste. I can always donate it later.

My neighbor and I "share" stuff all the time. She has lent me stuffed lions, owls, chess pieces fo book reports. Every 4th grader has to do a Scavenger Hunt of PA, they need 4 items from PA colleges. They went to DC for college. I happen to have various college stuff in my house so I lent it to her.

So coming up with a bear for Teddy Bear picnic would not be any different than anything else, I would comply with the instructions the teacher set out. Now if Teddy Bear was in quotes "Teddy Bear" than I might think that was open to interpretation for other critters!

I am a rule follower by nature so if it says Bear I will be scrambling to find a bear. If I truly cant then I would email the teacher and ask for a substiution possibilty.

ETA...maybe it is your wording but I dont see it as a teacher's "demand" I see it as a request that I will do my best to fufill within reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter