What's a really good hair dryer that doesn't cost a fortune?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I know I probably won't find a really good one without spending a lot of $$$$ BUT....

I normally get the $20-$25 ones from Walmart/Target. Just plain, run of the mill hair dryers. I believe the wattage on them runs around 1875.

I just got back from vacation (took a cruise) and I swear, I LOVE the hairdryers on a cruiseship. They seem so powerful and dry my hair in just minutes. Whereas the ones I use at home just doesn't seem to have the power and it takes me forever to dry my hair. I actually looked at the wattage of the hair dryer this past week on the cruise and it was only in the 1600's. I figured it had to be higher than what I have now since it was more powerful, but that wasn't the case.

Now, I've read where people will buy hair dryers that cost like $50, $100, $200 etc. To me, that seems a bit excessive. So do you know of a good, powerful one that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

I know I probably won't find a really good one without spending a lot of $$$$ BUT....

I normally get the $20-$25 ones from Walmart/Target. Just plain, run of the mill hair dryers. I believe the wattage on them runs around 1875.

I just got back from vacation (took a cruise) and I swear, I LOVE the hairdryers on a cruiseship. They seem so powerful and dry my hair in just minutes. Whereas the ones I use at home just doesn't seem to have the power and it takes me forever to dry my hair. I actually looked at the wattage of the hair dryer this past week on the cruise and it was only in the 1600's. I figured it had to be higher than what I have now since it was more powerful, but that wasn't the case.

Now, I've read where people will buy hair dryers that cost like $50, $100, $200 etc. To me, that seems a bit excessive. So do you know of a good, powerful one that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Sorry, I don't. My favorite is a Sam Villa that is over a 100.00 but I use it for work (and work at home so it is my personal dryer also).

I have used a Conair at the Dolphin that was great and dried my hair quickly although there was no nozzle for it which is a huge negative for someone with a lot of hair or hair that can frizz. If I was buying a cheaper dryer, I'd look into a Conair.
Good luck!

Sorry, I don't. My favorite is a Sam Villa that is over a 100.00 but I use it for work (and work at home so it is my personal dryer also).

I have used a Conair at the Dolphin that was great and dried my hair quickly although there was no nozzle for it which is a huge negative for someone with a lot of hair or hair that can frizz. If I was buying a cheaper dryer, I'd look into a Conair.
Good luck!

I'm totally clueless when it comes to my hair. I have thick hair that is just about at my shoulder blades. I don't necessarily dry the back or sides of my hair, I usually put either mousse or wave spray and scrunch it. But I do dry the top of my hair and I do notice that it will frizz sometimes. Is it because I don't have a nozzle on it? What does the nozzle do?

I have only had 2 hairdryers in my life & I will be 41 in October.

I had my conair bought either at Caldor or Bradlees in the 80's. I used that up until about 2 or 3 years ago when my dh said it was history. I was so sad to see it go. I used it to curl my bangs in the 80's....sniff sniff...

He, wait no Santa, got me a new hairdryer a few years ago & it either came from Target or Walmart. It feels so modern.

But I don't use it daily like I did in jr & sr hs.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to my hair. I have thick hair that is just about at my shoulder blades. I don't necessarily dry the back or sides of my hair, I usually put either mousse or wave spray and scrunch it. But I do dry the top of my hair and I do notice that it will frizz sometimes. Is it because I don't have a nozzle on it? What does the nozzle do?

The nozzle directs the air. Yes, you should use it. Also, pay attention to how you are holding it as you dry your hair. Often we let our shoulder drop and hold the blow dryer so the air is blowing UP the hair hand strands, roughing up the cuticle of the hair and causing frizziness. Try to aim the dryer down, esp. for that top layerto smooth it out, finishing with the cool air button. It makes a huge difference--esp. if you can use the brush and the dryer at the same time.

I saw some really nice dryers tonight at TJMaxx. You should check them out if you have one near you. They have good deals on dryers and flat irons.

I think that partially drying hair creates the warm, humid, conditions that can create frizz in most peoples hair.

I have thick, wavy/frizzy, hair, and I would either go with the combing out and scrunching.. OR I would fully dry my hair, using the hot dry air to fully and completely dry and 'smooth' the hair out.

OMG, nobody needs to be cursed with this hair of mine!!!!

My hair is not particularly thick and not a lick of curl/wave but even with my hair the difference is in ionized vs non-ionized. No matter how much product I try, if the blowdryer is non-ioned I will have tons of frizz, static, and flyaway hair. Buy ionized is my only tip.

I find it interesting that you like the cruiseline dryers - most people complain and ask if they can bring their own.

I am in this same boat...I notice nice hair dryers at hotels.

I have researched and found the better hair dryers for thick hair that dry your hair faster have A/C motors in them....look at a store like Ulta...not Target....where they have a bigger selection.
The A/C motor makes it more powerful but also more heavy..so you have to look around for one that you like.

the person who posted a Conair link a few posts back...that is an A/C motor one.

It blows my hair dry way faster !!!!!!!!!

Someone above mentioned TJ Maxx - if you have a Tuesday Morning store in your area you can check there too!

I have this hairdryer, and it's by far the best one I've ever owned. I love it.

I think I paid around $30 at Target.

http://www.conair.com/-p-885-1_7_65.html

That looks like mine too- but mine is purple and has a retractable cord (Love that feature!!). I've had it for a couple of years now, after having two Hot Tools brand that my hair stylist friend bought for me a the supply house. My Conair has lasted longer than both of those Hot Tools, and I paid about half the price for it!

...the difference is in ionized vs non-ionized. No matter how much product I try, if the blowdryer is non-ioned I will have tons of frizz, static, and flyaway hair. Buy ionized is my only tip.

as above, but the ceramic heat helps also :)
i keep an fhi dryer (paid about $150) in our owner's locker, and a chi dryer (paid about $100) at home. it took quite a few years and many conair, etc dryers for me to make the leap, but i would never consider a drugstore-type dryer again.
the fhi and chi quickly dry both my (fine hair, very prone to frizz) and my daughter's (long, incredibly thick - as in doesn't fit in most elastic holders or clips) hair. both dryers leave our hair looking much smoother, without much, if any frizz.
the fhi is more expensive, but a bit faster (which is why i keep that one in humid florida where we are on the go more).

amazon has an under $50 chi dryer (not sure if it is real tho):
http://www.amazon.com/33514-Deep-Br...qid=1346243325&sr=8-2&keywords=chi+hair+dryer

i bought my dryers at ulta (an authorized seller). there are quite a few fake dryers - chi's manufacturer, farouk will not warranty their products if bought outside of authorized sellers (normally, beauty sores/salons).

my opinion: both dryers have outlasted the cheapo dryers many times over, save us a lot of time, and have made a huge difference in both our hairs' health and looks. i'm all for bargain hunting on many items, but with certain things (hair products, vacuums (dyson only), furniture, mayo;), etc) it doesn't pay to go cheap on imho - hair dryers are definately a "you get what you pay for" item.
hth :)

I've had the same Conair Blackbird for about 20 years; works fine and at least my model came with a comb and diffuser. Bought it at a local health and beauty store (Duane Reade) and probably paid about 30 bucks for it. Price may have gone up a bit since then but the last time I thought about buying one for DGD it was still reasonable in price. Didn't get one since she just uses my mine. It's quite powerful (1875W?) and I rarely use it at the highest setting since it burns my hair. My hair is very thick.

I had my conair bought either at Caldor or Bradlees in the 80's. I used that up until about 2 or 3 years ago when my dh said it was history. I was so sad to see it go. I used it to curl my bangs in the 80's....sniff sniff...

And in that moment I knew you were from New England

🤣🤣🤣

I have had my most recent hairdryer since the early 2000's and it's just now dying out on me so this post is VERY timely!

There's a lint trap on the end of every hairdryer. Just clean out the lint and your dryer works like new again.

There's a lint trap on the end of every hairdryer. Just clean out the lint and your dryer works like new again.
LOL even good hair dryers can only live so long. I keep mine lint-free which is why my most recent one has lasted almost 20 years. It's definitely something to check if your dryer seems to be low on "oomph" but if that doesn't work it's probably time for a replacement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter