What would your advice be? Job dilemma

Update: DS has been told the paychecks would be in "possibly the end of this week". My bet is that it will be next Tuesday, which is when we get paid at here.

How many people are working there that a new check can't be handwritten or simply printed out right away for the money already owed? So they get a full week of work out of the teens before a new check is coming for what is already owed? Are they shuffling around who doesn't get paid each week?

At least they are making an effort to cut down on payroll expenses.

Has someone else already quit, so they have to cover hours for that person?

How many people are working there that a new check can't be handwritten or simply printed out right away for the money already owed? So they get a full week of work out of the teens before a new check is coming for what is already owed? Are they shuffling around who doesn't get paid each week?

I would guess that the teen's paycheck is probably less than $300. Certainly below an amount that the owners should be able to cover in their personal account if the money isn't in the business account.

What would you have your son do if the business wasn't owned by your friend or co-worker or whatever.

We have a business so bad off it's not paying pay checks.
We have a business that doesn't keep up with child labor statutes in your state.
We have a business where the owners get in heated arguments.

These are not the marks of a successful business. These are the marks of a business that is going down. It's time for your son to get another job. It's not personal. It's business. And your son isn't in the business of working for free or in a bad working environment. You can't let someone drag you down with them out of any sort of loyalty. There are plenty of places that will work around school and football schedules. If they won't, that's fine. Business is business and it's not personal. If they will and he gets a job, great.

They can't write a new check. The problem isn't the paper check its that there is no money in the bank...business or personal accounts from what I have gathered.

No one has quit. The husband never used to fill the schedule and now he is on it so I assume that he and his wife are covering shifts because they can't pay the teens.

I would guess that the teen's paycheck is probably less than $300. Certainly below an amount that the owners should be able to cover in their personal account if the money isn't in the business account.
Pretty sure he has been covering payroll out of his full time jobs paycheck up until now. I just think they don't have any personal money right now. We get paid next Tuesday.

They can't write a new check. The problem isn't the paper check its that there is no money in the bank...business or personal accounts from what I have gathered.

I know that. I know you know that. It's just amazing that this couple thinks the excuse of, "the checks need to be reprinted. . . in several days" - yet can't simply do it immediately - is an excuse everyone is supposed to buy. :sad2:

What would you have your son do if the business wasn't owned by your friend or co-worker or whatever.

We have a business so bad off it's not paying pay checks.
We have a business that doesn't keep up with child labor statutes in your state.
We have a business where the owners get in heated arguments.

These are not the marks of a successful business. These are the marks of a business that is going down. It's time for your son to get another job. It's not personal. It's business. And your son isn't in the business of working for free or in a bad working environment. You can't let someone drag you down with them out of any sort of loyalty. There are plenty of places that will work around school and football schedules. If they won't, that's fine. Business is business and it's not personal. If they will and he gets a job, great.
I mentioned that I work with the husband to round out the story. It has absolutely no bearing on the situation. I could care less about the guy and don't care how this plays out.

My son is the one who feels (felt) loyal to the job but that is fading fast.

This business (open since 11/18) is going under for sure. Their business model never made sense. We used to joke that it had to be a front for something else because there is no way it would work in our area. Well, obviously it is not a front or they would be making money :D

Here is the interesting part, the husband (my coworker) is on our schedule until 6:30 PM tomorrow but he is on the store schedule from 5-8. My other office mate and I have caught him fudging his time in the past - saying he was working when he was not.

This will be interesting.

Geez... this is way too much of a soap opera and you seem way too invested in it. Advise your son to quit and move on.

This business (open since 11/18) is going under for sure. Their business model never made sense. We used to joke that it had to be a front for something else because there is no way it would work in our area. Well, obviously it is not a front or they would be making money :D

I get that it’s a joke but why would you want your son to remain in this mess?

“Hey son, get off the sinking ship!” Why is that difficult advice to give?

Geez... this is way too much of a soap opera and you seem way too invested in it. Advise your son to quit and move on.

I get that it’s a joke but why would you want your son to remain in this mess?

“Hey son, get off the sinking ship!” Why is that difficult advice to give?

Well, when stated this thread, the advice I was really looking for was about whether or not he should look for a new job with only five weeks before football and if so, what should he tell his potential employers. The rest was background but grew legs as the thread went on. I confess - Now I'm just having fun with it.

It is a soap opera and he is a hot mess.

We talked a bit more about it after his shift tonight. I think we are leaning toward giving the store another week to come up with the paycheck before making any decisions about quitting. At tis point, he has decided not to look for another job until after football season. By then, it will be holiday shopping season so maybe he will be able to find something.

He had a very bad weekend about two weeks ago. He was working in the store alone when the two owners (husband and wife) came in. They were arguing very loudly and the husband was being quite verbally abusive. My son even thought at one point that the husband was going to hit her. It went on for more than two hours and my son was dying (he was texting me through he whole fight). Then, the owners' son/coworker came in and he was extremely disrespectful to his mother.

Then two family friends/co-workers stopped by and the one made the comment "after you spend some time with this family, you will get used to it" My son doesn't want to get used to it. My son saw a whole new world that day. He was shocked and the fight and found them extremely unprofessional.

Between that day and the pay issues, he is having his doubts about this job.
At this point, I'd tell my son to quit and enjoy childhood with free time before he HAS to work. It seems you DS is not the lazy type where not working is the wrong message. If he is good and active in school sports, then if it wy DS, I'd tell him those 8-10 hrs a week is simply not worth that stress. If money is an issue have DS help out more around the house and give an allowance... if it was me I'd be running fast from tht store. I'd gift my son those 5 weeks of summer to chill and have fun.

At this point, I'd tell my son to quit and enjoy childhood with free time before he HAS to work. It seems you DS is not the lazy type where not working is the wrong message. If he is good and active in school sports, then if it wy DS, I'd tell him those 8-10 hrs a week is simply not worth that stress. If money is an issue have DS help out more around the house and give an allowance... if it was me I'd be running fast from tht store. I'd gift my son those 5 weeks of summer to chill and have fun.

Prior to DS finding this job, he would ask for ways to make money and if I said that he could, for example, vacuum his response would be that was something he should do as a member of the household and not get paid to do it.

We were thinking about buying a pick-up truck for the family and letting DS use it as his primary transportation but he said that he wanted to save up money and buy himself a vehicle on his own.

I love how independent and driven he is. Of course he doesn't need the money but I love that he wants to pay his own way. But, if he ends up taking some time off, that will be fine too.

UPDATE:

DS received a text last night that the paycheck that was "held up in shipping", has arrived. Oddly, his co-worker's check didn't arrive. Of course it took him ten seconds to mention that if it was a shipping problem, not a money problem, how did one check come in but not the other.

He feels bad, though. He knows he does not need the money as badly as the friend who is still waiting.

UPDATE:

DS received a text last night that the paycheck that was "held up in shipping", has arrived. Oddly, his co-worker's check didn't arrive. Of course it took him ten seconds to mention that if it was a shipping problem, not a money problem, how did one check come in but not the other.

He feels bad, though. He knows he does not need the money as badly as the friend who is still waiting.
I really truly don't know all what's going on but like I said in my previous comment sometimes late paychecks for me have happened due to how the company opts to deliver the paycheck (or on a general note how they do payroll in general like a software program, a third party company, themselves old school style, etc). I mentioned DHL..there were times just like I said they were late. It also happened that half the paychecks would arrive at one time and the other half another time. I really hated that they used that company.

Anyways your situation it sounds more likely the owner opted to delay this person's and that person's paycheck due to lack of available funds. There could have been shipping issues too but my main bet is lack of available funds.

McKenzie, I totally agree that there are many reasons for a delayed check that are not the business's fault but, yes, in this case the evidence seems to point to lack of funds.

Between lat payday's bounced check and DS being paid in cash and this payday it was supposedly a shipping error but one check shipped a week late and the other one not at all. Add in the face that DS has had shifts where there have been no customers at all and one shift where he made 30 cents in sales and all signs are that the business doesn't have the funds..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter